Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A few observations about Eagles shows.

Out on the Border

Default A few observations about Eagles shows.

I'm new to this board but have been an eagles fan for a long time. I have never had the opportunity to see them live but have collected a number of bootlegs and listen to the frequently. I just thought I would share few observations and thought of mine.

1) early shows there are lots of talking and joking between band members. By 1980 Only Glen Fry Says anything at all between songs, with an occassional greeting by a band member before they sing a song. I attribute that to tensions between band members.

2) My dad is a Long time Jazz musician and he tells me that you can tell when a band is having a good time on stage as their playing will be better and more alive. From the 2 1980 shows I have it shows that they are not having a good time at all. Though they play excellently I found both performances Stiff and unimaginative. Seattle 1976 is a show were they really seem to be enjoying themselves and I think it shows.

3) The 4th verse on Tequila sunrise about going to Mexico, I find myself constantly wondering why Frey Never sings that after 1977. Correct me if I'm wrong. I perfer the version with the Mexico Verse.

4) Joe Walsh is one of the Best Guitarists in Rock and Roll. Frey/Henley's policy of Play it live exactly like the record must Bore him to tears. He could really have some fun with those songs if they let him. Led Zeppelin had no problems with not performing just like the record in concert.

5) Don Henley seems to rarely say anything in concert, even in the early shows.

6) Song I wish they would resurect for current tour - A good day in Hell.

7) I really like the Silver Dagger Intro to Take It easy they used to do. Also missed in later shows.

Just a few of my thoughts.

Default Re: A few observations about Eagles shows.

I wouldn't have a lot to challenge you on Slider, with those comments though I'd not go so extreme in saying they weren't having any fun. I doubt seriously that any of the guys were really hurting for money especially after the success of their "Greatest Hits" and "Hotel California" successes. And Joe being bored to tears....well, if he really is bored (and in talking to him He Isn't) he could annoint the hurt with all the money he's dragging in while being bored.

Seriously, if MONEY isn't the driving force keeping them together and performing as much as they do, then what's left? Phun? Satisfaction? Scratching their creative itches?

I don't feel too sorry for them <LOL>

MikeA

I actually like the "playing it like the record" and the perfection. When I formed an Eagles tribute that was one thing I was adamant about. There is no doubt I am a tribute band guitarist. My specialty is playing everything note for note like the record. I'm not into doing original music or sloppy covers that aren't like the original in a bar band. That's one if the things I love about the Eagles. Although you aren't the only one. David Crosby said the same and that it was boring. I lost any interest in his music after he said that. Different strokes for different folks.

Don't have anything else to comment on than that part.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

First of all - welcome Slider. Glad you joined us and hope you enjoy yourself here on The Border. You've come to a really good place if you like talking about the Eagles.

As far as the band doing a lot of talking, they have never been known for talking much on stage even in their early days. I think the have the attitude that they let their music do most of the talking. Glenn has always done most of the talking during the shows. IMO, most of the difference between their shows now and the earlier shows is more maturity and sobriety. I believe they still enjoy themselves on stage, but it's definitely not the same as the wild times in the '70's. I agree in the latter part of that decade, there was a lot of tension that probably affected their performances.

I think many of us here would agree with you about the extra verse in Tequila Sunrise. I love it, too. I'm personally not as fond of the Silver Dagger intro to Take It Easy although it was fun when they did it. It did showcase the band's acapella harmonies before 7BR came along.

And lastly, as far as Joe, I doubt if he is bored with the band. I don't remember the question verbatim, but just recently in an interview, Joe was asked what was the single best thing that ever happened to his career. After thinking about it for a moment, Joe's answer was positively when he joined the Eagles.

I enjoyed reading your comments and hope you will browse around the forum and contribute to the discussion in other threads - old or new.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Welcome Slider! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I'd love to hear that Mexico verse again as well, but right now they're not even playing the song! lol I will say that at the shows I went to, I always got the impression they were having fun.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Out on the Border

Thanks for the replies.

I guess as far as play it like the record or not its just a matter of personal taste. Myself, I always like it when a musician tries to bring new life into a old song by doing something different. Hendrix did a song in concert called machine gun, it varied in length anywhere from 12 to 22 minutes depending on what he felt like doing. Some versions better than others but always something different.

As far as the Joe Walsh thing, I'm sure he enjoys being with the eagles, otherwise he'd be doing something else. But, I've always felt that he is truly one of the best Guitarist's in rock. I would guess after a long tour of playing the same songs the same way night after night I would imagine that occasionally he would like to do things a little different just for fun. I doubt anyone would be dissappointed if he did.

I like the chatter and laughter I hear in the early eagles shows, it gives more of a relaxed feeling and that the band is really enjoying themselves. I think by late in the Long Run Tour Tensions and bad feelings were all around. That chatter and laughter from early shows are simply gone and I've always felt thought the band played very well that something was simply missing from their performances in the two 80' shows I have.

Seattle 1976 is my favorite show, a bit glitchy in a couple parts and part of a song is missing but a excellent show. Great versons of Doolin Dalton/Desperado Reprise, A good day in hell, witchy woman and a spectactular verson of Turn to Stone. Absolutly blows the doors off any of the others eagles version of that song. The band was really on top of their game that night.

I thought Joe looked like he was having fun in both the Hell Freezes Over and Farewell 1 DVDs

I guess some songs are a lot more "fun" to play than others, and they probably respond to the audience vibe too.
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

I recon I like it both ways Slider. I mean, I'd hate for them to take "Witchy Woman" and turn it into a waltz or something radical like that. But I would not mind at all hearing Joe and Stu tear off on the Hotel California solo and do something different with it every once in a while.

As for Joe getting bored playing the same Eagles songs the Same was Night after Night...maybe with the older Country Rock that he really wasn't a part of. I think he does get some challenge from some of the Rockier songs. He has repeatedly stated that Hotel California is one of the most difficult songs he's ever played and he has said that he does enjoy getting into the guitar work on that one.

And, Joe doesn't limit himself to Eagles Tours. I know of two mini-tours he's recently gone off on when not touring with the Eagles. Once with Stone Temple Pilot and then also with Fox and Peters to reunite the James Gang. Rumors (acknowledged by Joe) of a new album of new music is in the process of being released.

But Joe has said himself that Joining the Eagles was probably the best thing that he's done. He didn't like being the BOSS and having to deal with every little detail when he was with the Gang. He didn't like having to be the lead vocals and also have to carry the melody on lead guitar while with the Gang. It was a little better when he was Solo before the Eagles but still, he had all that pressure that he hated, having to make all the decisions while touring.

His joining the Eagles tool virtually ALL that pressure away and allowed him to sit back, play his instrument with a very popular band and not have to be constantly pressed to come up with improvised solos. He has NOT been an unhappy camper with the Eagles. He has used the term "Hired Gun" and he likes that position. (The Hired Gun part, he was talking about NOT being a partner in Eagles LTD)

With all that said, I speculate that he does have some creative energy that is not satisfied entirely with his work with the Eagles. I have heard him talk about all the music he's recorded and set back over the years. I've heard him talk for almost 10 years now of having enough Rock and Roll material "on the shelf" to put out a recording of all new material. Joe's been busy doing a lot more than laying in an over-sized bed of cash since the Eagles reunited!

Finally, Joe does get his Ego Scratched during every concert when he does his solo work regardless of which songs he performs. The crowds LOVE Joe and really get off on his contributions. You certainly can tell that Joe becomes larger than life when he gets the crowd rockin'.

MikeA

Hi Slider and welcome. I hope you get a chance to see them live before they stop altogether. If you are a fan I think you would enjoy the show.

I have seen them three times - once in 2008, 2009 and 2010. I know what you mean by "stiff" performances. I have stated my views on this subject before. I also wish they would look like they're enjoying themselves more often while performing. I have to say that my favorite of the three shows I saw was the 2010 show in Indianapolis. Don, believe it or not, was having fun onstage and being downright silly at times. For me, that made the show so much more enjoyable.

I specifically remember us talking about this after they performed Busy Being Fabulous at the 2008 CMAs. You can watch the performance and read the discussion here.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

I saw them live in 96 having been a fan since 74 and saw them in the states on TV.

When I saw them live I was surprised that the set was "song perfect" and every note in place. It seemed to me that the sound was augmented using tapes and other trickery but maybe im wrong.

They were very static in 96 and not a lot of diologue on stage but i suppose when you have to play the same songs over and over again, night after night, then it gets difficult.

It would be terriific to see them in a live small venue playing whatever they chose to with maybe an acoustic set or singing stuff that influenced them.

The Eagles are the best guitar band in the world. They can really rock and should strip it down a bit on live production. Just my opinion though.

Happy new year.