Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: A few observations about Eagles shows.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: A few observations about Eagles shows.

I just went back and reread this thread. You know it's funny that one of the biggest complaints we always hear about the band's live performances is that they play songs note for note and don't improvise enough. I sure think that's a legitimate beef. However, I've always maintained that you can't argue with success. Going into their 40th year, this band is still selling tickets unequaled by very few other acts. Almost any casual fan that I've ever heard comment says that their show is one of the best concerts they have ever been too. So, I guess they must've gotten something right and figure there's no need to change the formula for success at this point. Just sayin' ...

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I for one, think it's one of the reasons they're still touring after 40 years...they give you exactly what you want to hear..no rearranging songs and messing them all up..no new band members, no comedy acts or moaning and groaning about their age, no political agenda (most times anyway,lol)...just a 2 hour concert of pure music..which is what you paid for...I remember seeing Jackson Browne of few years ago, and he wouldn't shut up about the environment, and climate,etc....the woman in front of me kept yelling "shut up and sing" and finally she just walked out....lol

Stuck on the Border

We are hoping that their 40th anniversary DVD will include performances by artists who influenced them. One of these should be Glenn singing Buffalo Springfield's On The Way Home.

The LROOE setlist included an acoustic set until it was dropped when the show was shortened.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Glennhoney View Post
    I for one, think it's one of the reasons they're still touring after 40 years...they give you exactly what you want to hear..no rearranging songs and messing them all up..no new band members, no comedy acts or moaning and groaning about their age, no political agenda (most times anyway,lol)...just a 2 hour concert of pure music..which is what you paid for...I remember seeing Jackson Browne of few years ago, and he wouldn't shut up about the environment, and climate,etc....the woman in front of me kept yelling "shut up and sing" and finally she just walked out....lol
    Perhaps I shouldn't ask this, but why was she there in the first place? Was she unaware of Jackson Browne's political views?

I personally would like to see them change the arrangements of some of the songs to avoid them becoming stale.

I have always disliked it when I go to concerts & the arrangements of the songs differ greatly from the original recordings by that artist. Sticking close to the original is one reason I love the Eagles. However, after all this time, I wouldn't mind if they changed them up a bit.

I recently put together an iPod playlist I called my "Eagles dream concert," made up of a mix of songs and between-song chatter from the Live, HFO, and Millenium CDs. I was actually surprised by how much they DID change many of the songs, considering that most folks say the shows are note-perfect.

The changes were generally minor and usually done in the guitar leads (throwing the "Day Tripper" riff into "In The City" on HFO, for example) but they made a world of difference in selecting which live version to include in my setlist.

I think any live performance will have some variation from the recordings - the Eagles are meticulous about ensuring the standard is equally as high as the recordings, but they do change it up - subtly. (or in the case fo Desperado where Don holds the note at the end for an eternity-and-a-half, maybe not so subtly!). And I LIKE that - I enjoy being able to sing along and I like the little differences that let me know that I'm at a live performance.
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

This is a very interesting thread.

Regarding the Eagles being note-perfect at their concerts: that is actually one of the things that blew me away about the 2008 concert I attended. Few people realise how difficult it is to reproduce a song, be it vocally or instrumentally, exactly as it was originally recorded. Just ask the many ex-band members I've worked with... I've always been a stickler for perfection in the cover bands I played in and sang for, and even now, my musical partner and I try to vocally reproduce our cover songs as closely to the original singers as possible, because it's what the people want to hear.

I'm fine with minor improvisations, as long as the original arrangement is not blown out of all proportion.

As far as the boys being stiff on stage, I can't say I agree with that. Even on the opening night of their LROOE tour, they appeared to be really enjoying themselves, despite their initial nervousness which I picked up on (and which was completely understandable, considering they were introducing 9 new songs from the LROOE album - they needn't have worried, though ). All four Eagles talked a bit, although Glenn did the introductions and most of the talking. Speaking from personal experience, I reckon if the Don, Timothy and Joe do more talking than usual on a particular night, it's because they feel more comfortable doing so. It seems Glenn has been chosen as the main speaker of the band. This is evident from both the HFO and "Farewell 1" DVDs.

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Personally I like the fact that the Eagles are note-perfect on stage. I also like the 'bigger sound' they get by having a large band, including a horn section. Having the band does make the older songs sound different from the original recordings even if they are note-perfect. Obviously it's the Eagles voices and the quality of the song writing that's most important, but having lots of musicians on stage creates a good atmosphere for the shows.

I do sometimes wish they would talk a little bit more between songs, and more ad-lib, not that I would want Glenn to stop doing his age-old jokes!!

It seems from the reviews posted here that we all notice when the Eagles are having a good time, and a laugh with each other, and when they're not.......and this can make or break the atmosphere of the show. I guess sometimes one of them might be feeling a bit 'under the weather' or tired from the travelling etc,

However, it is amazing that they are still touring after all these years and I for one am glad about that. They're an awesome band to see live, and I'm sure none of us wants to think about it ending(although at sometime it will have to).

Quote Originally Posted by Glennhoney View Post
    ...I remember seeing Jackson Browne of few years ago, and he wouldn't shut up about the environment, and climate,etc....the woman in front of me kept yelling "shut up and sing" and finally she just walked out....lol
    Ouch! That hurts! Lol!

I agree that the Eagles do make subtle changes to their arrangements and I appreciate that. I think the fact that they make their live shows sound just like the recordings though, is a good thing.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.