Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: A few observations about Eagles shows.

Default Re: A few observations about Eagles shows.

For the record, the anecdote regarding Neil Young and the Buffalo Springfield recording of On The Way Home is incorrect. Neil is on the recording, playing guitar and singing backups

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Sun View Post
    For the record, the anecdote regarding Neil Young and the Buffalo Springfield recording of On The Way Home is incorrect. Neil is on the recording, playing guitar and singing backups
    What Glenn said was 'they recorded it, then Neil quit the band'. The part about 'Richie Furay had to sing it because Neil wasn't around' seems to contradict this, I agree. But from what I can see, Neil's only lead vocal on that album was I Am A Child. So perhaps what Glenn meant was that even though Neil was still in the band, for some reason he didn't even want to sing lead on his own song.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_Time_Around
    Last edited by Freypower; 01-04-2012 at 07:45 PM.

For some reason I misunderstood Soda's review of Glenn's comments and thought he was talking about a separate cd of covers in addition to the anniversary dvd. I have to agree with TBF, to include this in the actual dvd doesn't sound good to me.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    For some reason I misunderstood Soda's review of Glenn's comments and thought he was talking about a separate cd of covers in addition to the anniversary dvd. I have to agree with TBF, to include this in the actual dvd doesn't sound good to me.
    I think it could work in the right quantity & the right context. For example, if they were talking about their early careers and influences, they could do snippets of songs, and then include the full versions as bonus material.

I always loved the mental image from Felder's book where he talked about rehearsing Seven Bridges Road in "the shower of the dressing room.". (Ok, when he talked about them practising 7BR it was in the LOCKER room, but when he said they'd stopped doing it he talked about the SHOWER). Now if they wanted to show something like that with a cover song... Tastefully of course!!
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Glad I wasn't the only one. I remember that in the review but didn't imagine it on the dvd. Now a whole seperate cd of covers I'd be all over!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

I personally wish they would mix it up a little, with some more extended guitar solos. I had seen them in the 70's & those shows were less like the recordings with some more guitar work done by Don Felder & Joe. I think especially now that Felder is no longer in the band, this won't be happening. I don't think they will give Stu the guitar solos that Felder did. The songs are done, as the recordings with no impromptu guitar work. To me it makes the show more predictable, but it is still enjoyable. I do believe I read somewhere that it is Henley who prefers it done this way.

I'm just hoping that the new tour will include some songs that haven't been played live in a long time. That would help bring something new to the shows. I also wish they would end the show with something other than the ALWAYS PREDICTABLE DESPERADO....Please!!!

I'd go for anything new at this point in the guys' career, it's all good. Just never know when it'll be the last new products. It's great to hear them speak about this coming year and how exciting the changes will be.
    And considering live performances, that's really my only major beef about the Eagles. Not using the incredible amount of talent they have up on that stage to expand songs and their interperations, not even attempting to see what other possibilites are out there seems a crime. What if it's even better than the original? So much lost potential. To me, the perfect blend of "recreating" the album, which I'll hear a million times, and "creating art" at a live performance is possible. Leave the fundementals of the chorus and verses intact, but expand the songs (like they used to do) with improvs and solos. I'm not as interested in recreations, I know they know their parts. I think small tweeks keep the performers more focused and engaged, which is very important live. I'm interested in their personal artistic interpretations, how the the venue, the crowd, the songs can affect them, what they want to say musically and how they choose to express it that night. But, I also want to recognize the song. I still think a looser, more artistic expression is possible without changing the integrity of the original song.
    Bob Seger has addressed this, he said he doesn't change up because sometimes the crowd can drown him out, so he doesn't do that. But I get the hint after singing these songs for 30+ years, he'd like a change. John Mellencamp, to me, does a pretty good job at changing up songs. Changing tempo, going "unplugged" on a rocker, even changing the melody. I've heard the original many times, so I enjoy hearing it a new way, but I know not everyone does. I saw ZZ Top a couple years ago, once one of my favorite live performers, phone it in from so far away, I'll never waste my time and money to see them again. I'd hate to see the guy's become a tributes act, bored with us, the music and themselves.
    As i said, at least they're all still out there doing it up, so it's all good.
    http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5084/5316660629_4a27633c34.jpg
    Good morning my ...
    ~Deb~

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesKiwi View Post
    I always loved the mental image from Felder's book where he talked about rehearsing Seven Bridges Road in "the shower of the dressing room.". (Ok, when he talked about them practising 7BR it was in the LOCKER room, but when he said they'd stopped doing it he talked about the SHOWER). Now if they wanted to show something like that with a cover song... Tastefully of course!!
    Okay EK - You got my attention with this! Heck, if they wanna throw in a scene like that, they can sing The Alphabet Song for all I care.

Seriously though, it is very interesting reading everyone ideas and thought in this thread.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

To do an entire CD of covers they would have to return to the studio & record it. This would be on top of Glenn's solo CD of covers.

If they were to just film themselves performing a couple of songs by the artists who influenced them it wouldn't take much time. I did not get the impression that a CD of covers was being considered at all, even though Glennn said 'we recorded it'.

I don't understand why you would not want to see it in the DVD. They would be performing DIFFERENT SONGS. I envisaged them doing it the way they did the How Long video. I can only say and I am sure I speak on behalf of the people who were at Niagara Falls, I would like to have a visual record of Glenn singing On The Way Home.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    I personally wish they would mix it up a little, with some more extended guitar solos. I had seen them in the 70's & those shows were less like the recordings with some more guitar work done by Don Felder & Joe. I think especially now that Felder is no longer in the band, this won't be happening. I don't think they will give Stu the guitar solos that Felder did. The songs are done, as the recordings with no impromptu guitar work. To me it makes the show more predictable, but it is still enjoyable. I do believe I read somewhere that it is Henley who prefers it done this way.

I'm just hoping that the new tour will include some songs that haven't been played live in a long time. That would help bring something new to the shows. I also wish they would end the show with something other than the ALWAYS PREDICTABLE DESPERADO....Please!!!
    The show closer should be Take It Easy. But then, in my opinion, it always should have been.

This year is the 40th anniversary of the song as well as the band's career. Surely it deserves to be treated as such.