Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: A few observations about Eagles shows.

Default Re: A few observations about Eagles shows.

I don't like that version of Hotel California.... The song is perfect as is, Don't mess with perfection...
    Oh, and who thought of the dancing trombones???

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    I also hate when the audience sings along. This drives me nuts. I am paying big bucks to hear the Eagles sing, & I don't want to hear somebody singing next to me, who can't sing. This happens at a lot of other concerts & I try to tune people out, but it is so annoying. If the band changes up the song a little, maybe the dreaded singing will stop.
    Even worse is when they talk, totally ignoring the performance. You hear it all the time on You Tube clips. I'm afraid that I would probably miss most of an Eagles concert because I'd be ejected after doing violence to anyone who sat near to me and talked.
    Ditto for those idiots who whoop and holler. Just SHUT UP.

Oh God there's nothing worst than sitting next to somebody who sings along...I was at a Gordon Lightfood concert years ago, and the lady next to me sang along with every song, very loudly...like I paid the hear HER sing..

..and another thing....since I'm only 5 feet tall...people standing all night in front of me just drives me up the wall...I always try to get an aisle seat so I can stand up as well....but it doesn't always work...

I do tend to sing along at concerts, but I do it quietly so I don't make people mad. People talking during concerts, though - I absolutely hate that.
    ~ Tori
    https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/downloads/images/henley24.jpg

Stuck on the Border

My husband hates it even more than I do which is why he seldom goes to concerts now. We had bad experiences at Peter Gabriel, Mark Knopfler and Zappa Plays Zappa where people did nothing but talk.

Weirdly, in the Royal Oak version of After Hours when Glenn sings the line 'everybody's laughing' someone in the audience laughs. Coincidence but it jars.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well, I gotta say that I'm guilty of the crime of singing at concerts, and most of the time others around me are singing too. I do try to keep my voice low though because I know others didn't come to hear me sing. It annoys me if others are persistently talking as well. However, I have been to enough concerts to mostly just roll my eyes at most of the behavior and try to ignore it.

I do remember one time at one of Glenn's solo shows where we were allowed to go up to the stage, and there was this guy behind me that was literally leaning on my back. I turned around to him and said something like "Dude, you really need to get off of my back". But I'm the kind that would rather tolerate some of the bad behavior than stay home. I love going to live shows too much to have a few annoying people ruin it for me.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Yeah I'm not a fan of that version of Hotel California either, but I also don't like the HFO version. The original version/rendition is the only way to fly for me. I want the doubleneck guitar and electric guitars and the twin solos. That's the best. It's a masterpiece that shouldn't be touched. Some songs are ok to change up but HC is not one of them IMO. It should always be played like the original. I think it is perfect the way it was composed.

I actually like the fact the Eagles are all about playing exactly like the record with no or not much improvisation. I like routine and consistency and having everything be the same and consistent. That's why when I played in the Eagles tribute I made sure we did everything exact like the record. David Crosby once said something to the effect of that it was boring and made a yawning expression. It really rubbed me wrong. I like the fact they don't change it up and I like everything to stay the same. I'm not a big fan of change and I admire their perfectionism and how rehearsed they are. I like to be a human jukebox as a guitarist and play it exact, as that's the way it should be done IMO. Whenever I post that on guitar forums most of everyone comments on how that is so anti-creative and anti-musician but it takes just as much effort IMO to authentically recreate music and play it note for note and copy the guitar tone even on a song as it does to improvise something. It takes a lot of rehearsal to get as tight and "perfect" as the Eagles are and it's something I really admire and want in a performance. I'm anti-improvisation which is unusual for a guitarist and I catch a lot of flak for it on the guitar forums but I always stick to my guns and I've had a couple members tell me they admire that and love what I do and my philosophy. That said, I suppose I can understand why some wouldn't like that rehearsed perfection. But for me not liking change and liking perfection, it's the best thing in the world.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Here's the kind of change I like in a live show - it stays fairly true to the original, but gives us a cool twist as well. It's the 1994 arrangement of Peaceful Easy Feeling that I mentioned earlier.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I LOVE that version of PEF! I soo wish they had included it in the HFO video release...here's hoping it'll make it onto the upcoming anniversary DVD