Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: A few observations about Eagles shows.

Default Re: A few observations about Eagles shows.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Well, Don must've liked it, too, so you're in good company.

ETA: Astonishingly, I found it on YouTube. Folks can watch it and judge for themselves - but hurry, it'll probably get taken down soon!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-rv_KC-vIk

Oh my, I had forgotten about Henley's monkey noises around 0:49, lol.
    Hmmmmm... Don's vocal is great, as usual, but I'm not sure about the arrangement and instrumentation. This is a guitar song. As much as I admire the brass section for attempting the solo note-for-note, and they did well, it just didn't sound right. I also missed the harmony parts on the original record. The lead vocal in the chorus sounded lonely without it.

For the record, I love the acoustic HFO treatment of the song, including the spanish guitar intro. For me, it's like the original, only acoustic. And perhaps even more difficult to play acoustically than on electric guitars. It was a fantastic effort.

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

At one point, Hell Freezes Over was going to be an "Eagles Unplugged" type thing for MTV. They must have dreamed up that version of Hotel California then. I think it's interesting and pleasant, but not match for the original.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

At one point, Hell Freezes Over was going to be an "Eagles Unplugged" type thing for MTV. They must have dreamed up that version of Hotel California then. I think it's interesting and pleasant, but not match for the original.
    I like the HFO version of HC at least as much as the original. Yes, the original is utterly amazing etc etc - but the acoustic version is something very very special in its own right.

Added to that, this is where my passion for the Eagles started, and to know that at one point Joe commented that it was both his favourite and most challenging song to play makes it even better. JMHO.
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

Firstly, I like the Don's Inside Job version of Hotel California, for a change but still prefer the original version.

Secondly, I'm guilty of singing at concerts - I can't help but join in - but not too loudly; I'm kinda singing to myself really.
    I do hate it when people shout out too loudly in the quite bits of a show. I hated it BIG TIME when some guy shouted during Will's intro to 'It don't matter to the sun' at Don's concert in Chicago 2009....if he'd been near to me I'd have wacked him with my handbag which would probably have stunned him into silence. It was the first time I'd heard it so I didn't want to miss it. There's always some jerk who wants to draw attention to themself.

Eagles 'unplugged'? Yes I think I'd enjoy that, for a change.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

For what it's worth, I do not like Don's version of HC. At all.

I do love the original best, but think the HFO version is beautiful.

I also sing some, very quietly, at concerts. I really want to hear the band do it. I hate it when people yell out stuff during quiet times and prefer to hear the band as best as I can without the crowd. But sometimes the band wants the crowd to sing and that's ok as long as they don't do it too much. I paid to hear the band, not the crowd.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

If the crowd's all singing at once, it can be cool. If it's some really loud person shouting over the singer on the other hand... NO. Even worse is the loud talking. I remember one woman trying to talk to me during a Stevie Nicks concert during a beautiful song that I had never heard Stevie perform before. Obnoxious woman, loudly to me: "I DON'T KNOW THIS SONG! WHAT IS THIS SONG?" I didn't look at her, so she asked the question even more loudly. I said quietly, "The song is called 'Love Is'." "LOVE IS WHAT?!" The obnoxious woman hollered. Then, "I DON'T KNOW IT AND I DON'T LIKE IT!" At that point I actually turned and said, "Be quiet. I'm trying to hear the song." Thankfully, she did.

I figure people who shout out stuff during quiet times are just attention whores hoping to get the performer to acknowledge them. Sometimes it can be funny, but most of the time it's obnoxious, too. It's one thing if the performer, like Jackson Browne, encourages shout-outs. It's another thing when there's an emotional or quiet moment and someone takes the opportunity to holler "I LOVE YOU JOE!" Worst of all are the hecklers, like the guy that shouted "PLAY SOMETHING WE KNOW" at Don when he was trying to do some less-well-known covers at a concert. Screw you, douchebag! That's when you wanna go !

As for me, I will just mouth the words - because I gotta save those vocal chords for screaming in between the songs.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

One bemused man at Niagara Falls shouted 'rock & roll' after Glenn finished singing the cover songs, but someone else (?) also shouted 'sing it baby' at him which was nice, although 'sing it' would have been enough.

That was a funny story about Love Is, Soda, because I didn't know the song either when I saw Stevie sing it!!

Once at an Elton John concert, some IDIOT in my section kept screaming PHILADELPHIA FREEDOM, like every 2 minutes really loud. This guy did not STFU for like an hour. Finally, Elton played the song, (which I guess was planned at that time) I mean, he was not gonna shut his face until Elton John sang that song....I was relieved when he finally did, just to shut this jerk up.
    I was so pissed that night, I swear, it really was ruining the show for a lot of people....So rude & inconsiderate! Why do people have to act like this at a concert?? He deserved a good

Stuck on the Border Henley Honey's Avatar

at shouted "PLAY SOMETHING WE KNOW" at Don when he was trying to do some less-well-known covers at a concert. Screw you, douchebag! That's when you wanna go !
    I was at that show. When the "helpful" audience member shouted out, he got a loud round of booing from the crowd. Then Don got him good. His reply -- just before he sang a more well-known song was: "This one's for you Di#k Head". The crowd LOVED it. It's just such a shame that these drunken idiots think that anyone actually cares what they think. Is it liquid courage that causes them to interrupt a show? They should stop drinking. It's not pretty. JMHO.

It's another thing when there's an emotional or quiet moment and someone takes the opportunity to holler "I LOVE YOU JOE!"
    Yeah, I don't like that either. I, of course, am guilty of yelling "I LOVE YOU" at an Eagle (Don ), but it was during band intros while everyone was applauding wildly. I would never do it in a quiet moment... people would think I'm crazy.
    And don't get me started on drunk people at concerts... one of the only things I remember about my first Eagles concert were the clearly intoxicated people in front of us loudly commenting on why a seven-year-old was at an Eagles concert. Pretty annoying.
    ~ Tori
    https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/downloads/images/henley24.jpg