Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rare 1973 live recording featuring 2 unreleased songs now available!

Default Rare 1973 live recording featuring 2 unreleased songs now available!

Hey Eagles fans!
    I'm new here, so I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I wanted to let everyone know about this exciting live Eagles find. It's a previously uncirculated live concert audience recording from 11-21-1973, Holy Cross College, Worcester, MA. It's a full-length show (19 songs, ~100 minutes) from a unique period for the band. It's right after they returned from their early On The Border recording sessions in London (with Glyn Johns), but apparently before they replaced Johns with Bill Szymczyk, and finished recording the album in LA. But the exciting part is that this show features 2 original songs from those early On The Border sessions that were ultimately dropped and not used, and, as far as I know, these songs were not played at any other recorded shows, and have never been released in any form. As there are very few unreleased or 'outtake' songs that have seen the light of day from the Eagles, this is a truly exciting find. By the way, the songs are very impressive, and make worthy additions to the Eagles canon.
    I have acquired the audience master recording from the original taper (David M) and he has allowed me to make it available to all (via free download) through my blog. So, for more info on these songs (one by Henley, titled 'Wait and See', one by Leadon, possibly titled 'Learn and Teach' or 'Born to Teach'), and to download the complete show, follow this link:
    http://bbchron.blogspot.com/2011/04/...s-college.html

If there is enough interest, I could also post just those 2 songs here.
    I was quite astounded when I heard these, as I have never heard anything about them before. I am very interested in hearing what others think of these songs, and if they really are as rare as I think they are.

BTW, my blog contains many other live shows that may be of interest to fans of the Eagles, country-rock, classic rock, and great music.
    Thanks, and hope you enjoy these as much as I did.
    BBKron

Check out my music blog, the BB Chronicles at http://bbchron.blogspot.com

Default Re: Rare 1973 live recording featuring 2 unreleased songs now available!

I checked this out and it's so exciting to hear "new" stuff despite the fact that the quality isn't the greatest. Thank you for posting this!

Some comments regarding the new stuff:

"Wait and See" is sung by Randy Meisner and not Don Henley, unless I'm mistaken. It's hard to make out, but I think Glenn even introduces it as "We were working on a new album called On the Border, and this is a song from this album Randy wrote, it's called 'Oh Darlin', Wait and See.'"

I LOVE the extended jamming on that song!

To my ears the title of the Leadon song sounds like "Georgia Peach," which would make sense because that was the nickname of his old Flying Burrito Brother bandmate Gram Parsons whose death inspired On the Border's "My Man."

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Default Re: Rare 1973 live recording featuring 2 unreleased songs now available!

Again, I welcome you BBKron to the Border.

I had not heard these two new songs until I joined your blog and signed up for the free access to Mega-Up-loads where you have the music stored.

Those wishing to experience the music BBKron has provided will need to have an RAR extractor. Check out downloads.com for some options. RAR, for those of you not familiar with it, is another compression utility similar to WinZip. There are free versions of it available as well as some that are shareware. The one I downloaded for my notebook computer was not free....40 day free trial.

It is worth the effort if for no other reason, just to get the unreleased Henley and Leadon songs.

BBKron,

I think you'll find folks here who are really into the early Eagles as well as some who aren't that excited about the early stuff they released. I like it all, and particularly have become really interested in what Bernie has done.

I like Desperado more than their self-titled offering...in fact, Desperado just may be my choice as being maybe the most note-worthy album that Eagles have released. To my knowledge, that concept album is unique in the Country-Rock genre. I know of no other theme based release in that genre.

Thanks for sharing that music with us here.

MikeA

Glenn before the Leadon song: "Folks, it's all rock'n'roll from here on out, and... who wants to dance?! C'mon, I got to see the dancers in the crowd! C'mon, I'll shake mine and you shake yours!"

OK, it's a deal, Sugar! lol

The exchange before "Wait and See" is also funny, although I can't make out some of it and I am probably making mistakes in transcription:

Glenn: "We spent two months in London... the land of the walking dead. No offense to anybody who's from London, especially the Beatles and stuff, but... It's hard to eat over there. You get super-hard pieces of bread and a micro-slice of ham and [?] and stuff."

Don: "No Quarter-Pounders."

Glenn: "And after about three days it's hard to go to the bathroom as well as eat."

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Wow! How exciting! I can't wait to get time to take a listen! Thanks so much for sharing this with us BBK!

Oh, and welcome to The Border!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

BTW I'm going to be trying to figure out the lyrics of these if anyone wants to try and help. The Leadon song might be a lost cause but some of "Wait and See" is distinguishable. I could sorta make out a few lines - anyone else have more luck?

Wait and See

[?]
    [?]
    [?]
    And your dreams aren't coming true

[?]
    [?]
    [?]
    And there's nothing more to say

We could...[?]
    We could...[?]
    [?]
    Wait and see
    Wait and see

Sometimes I wonder
    If you're really, really on my side
    [?]
    Of the problems that you hide

And we could... [?]
    It's just a .... [?]
    [?]
    Wait and see
    Wait and see

Wait and see
    Wait and see

Wait and see
    Wait and see

Oh, I'm a sinner
    Nothin' left to lose
    [?]
    [?]
    [?]
    [?]
    [?]
    [?]

Well, I'm a sinner
    I'm a sinner
    With nothing left to lose
    [?]
    [?]

[?]
    [?]
    [?]
    If your dreams aren't coming true

Wow, that was a really quick response to these. You guys are really active here. Thanks for the responses.
    Sodascouts, you must have really discerning ears. I listened to these over and over again to try to make out what Glenn was saying, and just couldn't quite make it out. I attributed 'Wait and See' to Don, because I thought he said something like "This is a song from the new album, from Don, called 'Wait and See'". But, I think you are right.

As far as the Leadon song, in the song introduction, it did not sound anything like 'Georgia Peach' to me (still sounds like "This is a song called 'learn and teach' that Bernie wrote... ') However, someone else calls out what could be 'Georgia Peach' right before the song introduction, and in the song itself, it does sound like it could be 'Georgia Peach' at the end of the chorus. So, again, you may be right, but I never would have gotten that. Much thanks for the input.

As for the song lyrics, good luck with that, but it seems that you would probably be much better at figuring it out than me. Thanks again.

I think that these songs are truly an amazing find, as I have never heard any mention of them anywhere before, but they quite obviously were originally intended for the On The Border album, before it was reshaped and re-imagined under producer Bill Szymczyk's guidance. I think the songs are quite impressive. Would love to be able to hear studio versions of them (and any other songs that were disarded from these sessions).
    I have to thank the original taper, David M, for making this tape available after all these years (I have some other of his tapes of other country-rock bands available on the blog, and I have a few more yet to post, including another uncirculated Eagles show from 1974 that I am working on right now). Thanks again for the input, and hope you all enjoy these recordings.
    BBKron

Check out my music blog, the BB Chronicles at http://bbchron.blogspot.com

Thanks to David M. as well. I'm looking forward to more! I love old bootlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by BBKron View Post
    As far as the Leadon song, in the song introduction, it did not sound anything like 'Georgia Peach' to me (still sounds like "This is a song called 'learn and teach' that Bernie wrote... ') However, someone else calls out what could be 'Georgia Peach' right before the song introduction, and in the song itself, it does sound like it could be 'Georgia Peach' at the end of the chorus. So, again, you may be right, but I never would have gotten that. Much thanks for the input.
    I think that whole intro is Glenn. Here is what I hear:

"...get loose and jam like that. It's awesome. [Pause] Georgia Peach! This is a song called Georgia Peach that Bernie wrote with a friend of his."

But hey, I could be wrong! Anyone else have any ideas?

Welcome to the board BBKron! Thanks for sharing.

Soda, I tried to figure out the lyrics to Wait and See. Here's what I could make out. It sounds like Randy singing to me too.

Wait and See

Oh Darlin'
    You try to keep from running around
    When you went on a long bumpy road

Say if you need me
    I think I can be your man
    And you don't need to run
    There'll be nothing more to say

We could...[?]
    It's just a...[?]
    [?]
    Wait and see
    Wait and see

Sometimes I wonder
    If you're really, really on my side
    You don't need to love me
    [?]

And we could... [?]
    It's just a .... [?]
    [?]
    Wait and see
    Wait and see

Wait and see
    Wait and see

Wait and see
    Wait and see

Oh, I'm a sinner
    Nothin' left to lose
    [?]
    [?]
    [?]
    [?]
    [?]
    [?]

Well, I'm a sinner
    I'm a sinner
    With nothing left to lose
    [?]
    [?]

Oh Darlin'
    You try to keep from running around
    When your down a long bumpy road

Open up your eyes take the devil from your mind

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I think that whole intro is Glenn. Here is what I hear:

"...get loose and jam like that. It's awesome. [Pause] Georgia Peach! This is a song called Georgia Peach that Bernie wrote with a friend of his."

But hey, I could be wrong! Anyone else have any ideas?
    That's what I hear too. I tried to make out the lyrics to the song but had no luck.

Open up your eyes take the devil from your mind