Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Rare 1973 live recording featuring 2 unreleased songs now available!

Default Re: Rare 1973 live recording featuring 2 unreleased songs now available!

Yeah, I think it's Randy, but who knows, I could be wrong. I'm just listening to it the same as everyone else, and I have no additional knowledge about it.

It could be like "Saturday Night" where both Randy and Don sing. I wish we knew more!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Out on the Border

Default Re: Rare 1973 live recording featuring 2 unreleased songs now available!

Love these! I would have preferred "Wait and See" to "Is It True." Well I'd have preferred all if them but I know they only had, what, 23 minutes either side? I'm voting it's Randy too. It sounds just like his voice to me & the style sounds like some of his solo stuff a little. The other song was really hard to hear. Maybe I'll get a chance in the near future to try with some better headphones.

Out on the Border

Ok Wait & See sounds like Leaving on Tuesday to me. It came to me at 5:00 am. That's my deep thought of the day!

Stuck on the Border

I've been listening to all this and it's amazing to listen to a concert from the audience from way back when. Some random thoughts.

This is November 1973, after the On the Border recording sessions in London but before they went into the studio in LA. It's also pre-Felder, who joined in early 1974 when they were back in the studio but had already recorded most of the tracks. He came in to play slide on Good Day in Hell and then added extra lead guitar to Already Gone, which already had Glenn on lead. (I'm not 100% sure on all of that).

They played three songs that would eventually be on the On the Border album: Good Day in Hell, James Dean, Ol' 55. "Hell" without Felder still sounds pretty good. The James Dean arrangement is slight different and less polished but Ol' 55 is just about perfect.

They didn't play Best of my Love or You Never Cry Like a Lover, despite those already having been recorded. The concert was very short on lead vocals from Don.

Then the new songs which didn't make the final cut. I assumed "Wait and See" had Randy on lead vocals and if it's Randy on vocals, it's probably Glenn on lead guitar. Or maybe Glenn and Bernie trading lead?

I was suprised that the one from Bernie was a Rock 'n' Roll song. I wonder which friend he wrote it with.

Breaking down the vocal leads, I think it's
    Glenn 7 leads and 2 co-leads
    Bernie 4 leads
    Randy 3 leads
    Don 1 lead and 2 co-leads

I've read that back in the day, apart from the "We're the Eagles from Los Angeles", the band didn't speak to or interact with the audience. However, this recording has lots of talking from Glenn and he does respond to the audience.

There's a random comment from someone near the person recording about "Randy California on guitar" which got me wondering if he just got his Randys mixed up or was he chatting about Spirit in the middle of an Eagles concert!

Anyway, I love it. It's a bit more raw than some of the later stuff, but there's a lot of energy and the audience seem to be loving it.

I would say it's called "Oh Darlin'" and it's sung by Randy

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Sun View Post
    I would say it's called "Oh Darlin'" and it's sung by Randy
    At the start of this thread the song is referred to as Oh Darlin' Wait & See because that is how it is introduced. To me it seems more likely that the actual title would be Wait & See.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    At the start of this thread the song is referred to as Oh Darlin' Wait & See because that is how it is introduced. To me it seems more likely that the actual title would be Wait & See.
    I guess we won't find out for sure unless the studio version is released someday

So on my last post where I thought Don was singing, I think I had an ear infection or brain damage because after listening again to Oh Darlin, Wait and See it is definately Mr. Meinser. Boy I feel like crap being wrong about my guys voice!!!

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

Out on the Border

Ok I've listened to this like a million times. Mostly because I really, really like it but partly because I'm obsessive that way. I've got more of the lyrics. Disclaimer - I'm not really known for my excellent hearing. Quite the opposite. I'm hoping some of you guys listen to nonstop Randy and can help me fill in some more blanks! I'm confident on about 90% of what I added in. Not telling which 90% but the stuff in brackets I was really unsure about.

Wait and See

Oh Darlin'
    You try to keep from running around
    When you went on a long bumpy road
    And your dreams aren't coming true

So if you need me
    Think I could be your man
    You really only need to love me
    There'll be nothing anymore to say

We could be getting any [better]
    And you always say to me
    And the [option] is to never [?]
    Wait and see
    Wait and see

Sometimes I wonder
    If you're really, really on my side
    And if you don't mean to hurt me
    With the problems that you hide

And we could wind up [better]
    It's just [innocent] or [endless thing] [?]
    All the lines that you’re saying
    Wait and see
    Wait and see

Wait and see
    Wait and see

Wait and see
    Wait and see

Oh, I'm a sinner
    Nothin' left to lose
    Oh I remember
    I remember you
    Remember
    Oh yeah, I remember
    I remember you
    I remember
    I remember what [we had] [?]

I remember
    Ooh oooh
    Remember
    Ooh yeah I remember

Oh, I'm a sinner
    Nothin' left to lose
    Oh, I'm a sinner
    Nothin' left to lose
    I remember
    Ooh I remember

Oh Darlin'
    You try to keep from running around
    When you went down a long bumpy road
    And your dreams aren't coming true

Well, you have a lot fewer holes in your song than I do! I'll have to listen to it again. Thanks for your efforts, and for sharing the fruits of your labor!

They've always said they throw away stuff they didn't use, so I guess any good versions of this song went into File 13. Bootleg tapes of Fleetwood Mac demos and unreleased songs circulate all the time, but not the Eagles. What a shame!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten