Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Specific Setlist Requests

Default Specific Setlist Requests

We've done "Dream setlists" before, but if you could give the Eagles more realistic advice on one or two songs they should do or drop, what would you say?

I think the reason NKIT was dropped was that it was too hard to sing well consistently, and that Tequila Sunrise was dropped because it was a slow song and they felt they had enough of those. As a result, I'm not going to go with those.

Instead, I would recommend adding back Already Gone and Somebody, and dropping Rocky Mountain Way and All She Wants to Do Is Dance.

RMW and ASWTDID are already nixed sometimes, indicating that the band believes they are expendable. I agree. They are just solo songs, after all, albeit terrific ones. I say, don't just skip them on occasion - replace them with something on a regular basis! Yeah, it would mean shaking up the encore, but is that really such a bad thing? Plus, "Already Gone" would be a cool encore for obvious reasons.

They even use a snippet of Already Gone in ads for their concerts - that tells you all you need to know about its appeal right there! And if I can hit all the notes singing along in the car, it must not be that hard to sing.

As far as Somebody, it's rockin' and it's new. If they feel the set is too ballad-heavy, especially with regard to Glenn's vocals, why not? Perhaps they felt it didn't get a good reception, I don't know. It seemed as well-received as the other new material at the shows I went to, indeed more so than some of the newer songs such as the title track.

OK, so those are my thoughts. What are yours?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Specific Setlist Requests

Okay - Here are my choices for changes to the current setlist. My additions are very "Glenn heavy" because Glenn has taken such a reduced role in recent years. I want to correct this because I believe most fans go to shows to hear the hits, whether they are Eagles or solo songs. Also, I am recommending that this no longer be considered the Long Road Out of Eden tour since the band has completed a worldwide sweep with this tour. Therefore, I am leaving in How Long, and one other LROOE song for each band member.

So here's what I would eliminate ...

1) No More Walks In the Wood
    2) Long Road Out of Eden (although I love this, I don't think it plays that well with casual fans)
    3) No More Cloudy Days
    4) All She Wants To Do Is Dance (I love it, but it is expendable)
    5) The obscure musical interlude that opens the acoustic set

And here's what I would replace them with ...

1) New Kid In Town (honestly, I don't see why this would be any harder to sing than Lyin' Eyes, Already Gone, Somebody, or Heartache Tonight)
    2) Tequila Sunrise
    3) Already Gone (I love Somebody as well, but these two songs are similar so I went with the one that was a hit)
    4) You Belong To the City (it was a huge hit, and Glenn needs a solo song)
    5) I Dreamed There Was No War (The obscure musical interlude that opens the acoustic set need to be replace with an Eagles song)

So here's what my setlist would be ...

[Set 1]
    Seven Bridges Road
    How Long
    I Don’t Want to Hear Any More
    Guilty of the Crime
    Hotel California
    Peaceful Easy Feeling
    I Can’t Tell You Why
    Witchy Woman
    Lyin' Eyes
    Boys of Summer
    In the City
    New Kid In Town
    The Long Run

[Intermission]

[Set 2]
    I Dreamed There Was No War (musical interlude)
    Tequila Sunrise
    Waiting in the Weeds
    Love Will Keep Us Alive
    Take it to the Limit
    Best of My Love

Already Gone
    Walk Away
    One of these Nights

[Band Intros]

Life’s Been Good
    You Belong To the City
    Dirty Laundry
    Funk 49
    Heartache Tonight
    Life in the Fast Lane

[Encore]
    Desperado
    Rocky Mountain Way
    Take It Easy

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Eliminate:

Boys of Summer - I LOVE it, but ...
    Dirty Laudry
    Life's Been Good - Again love it, but it IS an Eagles concert
    No More Walks In the Wood

Replace with:

New Kid In Town
    Already Gone
    Tequila Sunrise
    One Of Those Nights - I think the smokey sexiness of this song would really get the crowd going!

ETA: Sorry... I missed where Soda said one or two songs! To w/that in mind... any songs I mentioned for elimination... but the add would be AG and OOTN.

Take away Long Road Out Of Eden and No More Cloudy Days and add back in "Already Gone" and "New Kid In Town". AFAIK, One Of These Nights is in the current setlist. I DO miss Already Gone though. One of my fav Eagles tunes.

I do disagree with the suggested removal of "Life's Been Good" though. I would be okay with removal of Rocky Mountain Way though. Heck, I'd even be okay with removal of Funk #49 OR Walk Away (RMW and one of those two, not all three!!!) But it does NOT seem right to my brain that I go to an Eagles show and not hear Life's Been Good. I can't lie, it would take a huge chunk of enjoyment out of the show for me. I saw them in '08 and LBG was one of my faves from the night... I don't like the idea of it going AT ALL.

FWIW, I much prefer the "Eagles Live" version of LBG and just Eagles live versions of the song in general to the studio track on But Seriously Folks. The way Walsh and Felder played on that track together (LIVE) is nothing short of amazing. I think every guy should have two solo songs in a show. My preference would be Joe with Life's Been Good and Walk Away, Don with Boys Of Summer and Dirty Laundry, and Glenn with Smuggler's Blues and The Heat Is On, etc.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

I didn't realize OOTN was in the current set list. Guess it's been a while since I've seen them. Yes, I can can see removing RMW instead of LBG. Either is fine. I'm pretty much of the school... no solo songs at an Eagles concert. Not that I don't LOVE some of them... but I'm a purist... I want me some Eagles!

Quote Originally Posted by luvthelighthouse View Post
    I didn't realize OOTN was in the current set list. Guess it's been a while since I've seen them. Yes, I can can see removing RMW instead of LBG. Either is fine. I'm pretty much of the school... no solo songs at an Eagles concert. Not that I don't LOVE some of them... but I'm a purist... I want me some Eagles!
    I like OOTN too - don't get me wrong. I love the guitar solo in that one especially. I'm glad it's in the setlist.

As far as LBG - I just can't imagine a show without it... The other solo songs are cool if they do or don't but LBG although officially a solo tune I think it is a classic Eagles song in the sense I much prefer the Eagles versions of the tune. It just sounds better with all of the players and voices on it... And the high and low octave solo (Walsh usually plays the low part and Stu/Felder the high part).
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

ASWTDID hasn't been in the setlist for a while. (ETA after Soda's post; well, it's nowhere near as regular as it was).

I have never really dared to state outright which songs I would drop; especially as the ones I would drop are all Eagles songs. But here goes. I would drop The Long Run, In The City & Love Will Keep Us Alive.

I think Boys of Summer & Dirty Laundry have had an exceptionally good run & could be at least supplemented with Smuggler's Blues & You Belong To The City if it was sung the way it was originally.

I would instantly reinstate New Kid In Town, Tequila Sunrise & Already Gone; and like Dreamer I make no apology for this being 'Glenn heavy' because the current situation is ridiculous.

It would be nice, instead of just dropping songs from LROOE as they did after one show in Sydney, if they added a couple: Frail Grasp & You Are Not Alone spring to mind, as does Do Something. I was lucky that I saw Somebody three times. It should be in the set.

ETA: I notice that Dreamer put Take It Easy in its rightful place at the very end of the show. This crazy situation where it was even being played before Rocky Mountain Way, went too far. It should be last & it should always have been last.
    Last edited by Freypower; 04-19-2011 at 05:56 PM.

Great input so far!

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    New Kid In Town (honestly, I don't see why this would be any harder to sing than Lyin' Eyes, Already Gone, Somebody, or Heartache Tonight)
    Try singing along with these songs. I'll be that you find the "willing to hold her" part of NKIT a bit more of a stretch vocally than anything in the other songs you listed. I know I do! The chorus of Heartache Tonight can also be challenging, especially if your voice isn't in top form, but it's not quite as hard. Already Gone goes up a bit at the end but is overall not too bad. Somebody is also medium-difficulty. Lyin' Eyes is easy-schmeezy.

ETA: Still, they could always lower the key of NKIT a bit (like they did for TITTL) or change the melody line so it doesn't go up so far (like the chorus of "Heart of the Matter" where Don flattens out "I'm learning to live without you now"). There are ways of making it work. I guess, then, that its difficulty doesn't preclude it if they don't mind getting creative. Maybe they just don't want to bother, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower
    ASWTDID hasn't been in the setlist for a while.
    I saw it in Louisville just a few months ago.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

From a musician's standpoint Already Gone does "modulate" at the end going from GDC to CGF and gets a bit higher but New Kid does have that really high part.....
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Eliminate:
    More Cloudy Days
    The Long Run
    Witchy Woman
    Rocky Mountain Way

Replace them with:
    Somebody
    New Kid In Town
    Already Gone
    Tequila Sunrise
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"