Thread: Interesting webpage

Default Interesting webpage

I was lookin for a website or something that had isolated tracks from the albums and found this little page instead:
    http://starling.rinet.ru/music/eagles.htm

Default Re: I found this online

Wow, he's a harsh critic! I wasn't totally offended and it is interesting to hear from someone who's opinion is so differene from mine, but I have to disagree with much of what he had to say. Interesting read Shadowland, thanks for posting it.
    I possess the silver bullets to slay the demons from my past. How do I know? Because I survived them-and I am already stronger than I believe.

Stuck on the Border

'They're good. No they're not. Maybe they are. Then again..... ' Etc, etc, etc. I got the point after reading the first line.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks for posting that Shadowland. It was very interesting to read those reviews and comments. I really enjoy reading what others have to say about the band and this was no exception. I agree with a few things he wrote, but let's just say that for the most part George Starostin and I don't see eye-to-eye when it comes to music.

I looked over his website and, as much as I love The Beatles and believe they are the band against which all others are measured, this guy has canonized them into sainthood. He also has a big hang up about how long it took the Eagles to record Hotel California and The Long Run - suggesting that this has a bearing on the quality of the albums. I don't quite follow that logic. I mean c'mon, let's get real - it's seems beyond my comprehension to suggest that Please, Please Me is a better record than Hotel California. Here's what he had to say about it ...

Of course, it says a lot that this album was recorded in eight months. Anybody who calls the Eagles 'the Beatles of the Seventies' or something like that, should consider how low Seventies' rock had fallen if the Beatles' Please Please Me was recorded in 16 hours and still sounds fresher and more entertaining than Hotel California today. Most of the songs off the Eagles 'masterpiece' are painfully generic, with trivial chord changes, banal orchestration, fake energy, boring lyrics and uninspired playing. Have I forgotten anything?
    Well by George, from where I stand, you forgot quite a few things. But, I got the biggest kick of all though when he said that Heartache Tonight was the kind of song he could have strung together in five seconds. All I can say is "Wow George - you totally should have written a few of those tunes then. Not only would your wallet be a lot fatter, but the world would have been privileged if you had shared your talent with us".

Oh well - different strokes as we always say ...

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Oh, don't be so mean to George.
    The way I read it, he likes 'King of Hollywood', so he can't be all bad.

On the other hand, if you can't spell (and I noticed two spelling mistakes without reading more than a few paragraphs) then you shouldn't set yourself up as a critic.

Stuck on the Border Henley Honey's Avatar

Anyone else object to his reference to "narrow-perspective Eagle fanatics"?

He describes their music as "forgettable, rednecky and lacking originality".

His awe-inspiring, much-heralded, award-winning contribution to the global artistic community is as a Musician? Producer? Lyricist? Poet?

No. He is critic who can't spell. Way to go, George. You mother must be so proud.

Stuck on the Border tequila girl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Henley Honey View Post
    His awe-inspiring, much-heralded, award-winning contribution to the global artistic community is as a Musician? Producer? Lyricist? Poet?

No. He is critic who can't spell. Way to go, George. You mother must be so proud.
    ~Carole~

There is no more new frontier - we have got to make it here

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Well let me say, I'm glad to be a 'narrow perspective Eagles fanatic'

And I'd say with the attendance at gigs and general interest in agroup thats 40 years on the go, not to mention the people here, I guess I'm not the only one!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Not to mention that they are still gaining new fans of all ages now.

Then again, I suppose I do have a narrow perspective - I expect music to be... well... MUSICAL gosh darnit! I like melody, I like harmony, I like beauty and I really like thoughtful and thought-provoking lyrics.
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Henley Honey View Post
    Anyone else object to his reference to "narrow-perspective Eagle fanatics"?

He describes their music as "forgettable, rednecky and lacking originality".

Those were the lines that struck me also.

You all know how "rednecky" I am!!! Yee Haw!!!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low