Page 18 of 114 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868 ... LastLast

Thread: Concerts

I like the look of this guy!!! Doesn't he remind you of someone??

Guy we kept getting eye contact from (Philip)
    You can spend all your time making money
    You can spend all your love making time
    If it all fell to pieces tomorrow
    Could you still be mine

hmmm..............who would THAT be?

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I just brought this up and the LBT song Give Me a Little More You is playing on the radio!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border EasyFeeling's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maleah
    hmmm..............who would THAT be?
    You don't mean Glenn, right?

Stuck on the Border

We saw the band Chicago last night only 5 minutes from our house
    (at our County Fairgrounds).

We were 2nd row center and I thought the show was amazing. The band is celebrating their 40th anniversary this year. The amount of energy they still put into their show (nearly 2 hrs. long) was incredible.

Some of the ballads the band was known for in the 80's brought the show to somewhat of a lull. The songs are beautiful-but very cookie cutter. The singer/bass player, Jason Scheff, who replaced the Eagles old softball buddy, Peter Cetera did a wonderful job on all of those songs.

I loved hearing all the old Chicago classics from the 70's, "Make Me Smile" (my favorite), "Colour My World" (my wedding processional),
    "Saturday in the Park", "Beginnings", "25 or 6 to4" were all superb!

I was forewarned that the trombone player and one of the founding members, Jimmy Pankow, doesn't believe in wearing underpants. That head's up (no pun intended) proved to be correct. Geez, firstGlenn's Peter Scwetty move, then Jimmy Pankow's "commando performance"!

Some photos from last night:

Thanks for the review and photos, Molly. I have Chicago 17 and their Greatest Hits - great band.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I liked Chicago, too! Color My World was played in my wedding, too, Molly!

Thanks for the pics!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border EasyFeeling's Avatar

Thanks for the photos, Brooke. I like the music of Chicago very much.

Stuck on the Border

POSITIVELY GEORGE ST - BOB DYLAN IN SYDNEY

I know this pales into insignificance next to what's about to occur in Niagara Falls but bear with me.

First of all, I had booked my seat in pre-sale. All I can say is the seating plan was very misleading. I was in the the very last row on the floor, next to the mixing desk. Anyway I had a couple of beers to keep me going. The support act was the Frames. They are Irish, but they were like Document/Green era REM. During one song they incorporated part of Van Morrison's Caravan, which was nice.

I have seen Dylan twice before, in 1986, with Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers (guest appearance by M. Knopfler) and I think in 1991, a show I remember nothing about. This time he was wearing a wide brimmed white hat. I always think you haven't really seen him until you've seen him in a hat. He wore it for the whole show. He opened with an obscure blues song called Cat's In The Well and that set the tone for the night. It was BLUES, all the way. The next song was a heavy blues rendition of The Times They Are a-Changing. He had a couple of really hot guitarists and played pretty well himself. After Watching The River Flow, the astonishing lyrics of It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding) reached me in spurts. Dylan's voice is now so raspy that it's sometimes hard to hear and he rushed through the song, which is already very fast. Then we got When I Paint My Masterpiece. I worship the Band's version but I had never actually heard Bob sing it! It was interesting - but he needlessly repeated the second verse. Then he moved to keyboards where he stayed the rest of the night. I was expecting this but it would have been nice to hear him play acoustic guitar.

Some of the bluesy stuff from Modern Times & Time Out Of Mind followed - Rollin' & Tumblin', Workingman's Blues & Till I Fell In Love With You. There was a beautiful, country waltz version of A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall complete with double bass, like the Band might have played it. And THEN - Tangled Up In Blue (SIGH). Though it missed the driving acoustic guitar he sang the first part in third person, and then from 'she was working in a topless place when I stopped in for a beer' on, first person. It wasn't perfect but it was the highlight of the night until an absolutely blistering Highway 61 Revisited. This totally and utterly ROCKED. What a song. ('God said to Abraham, kill me a son)....

There was nowhere to go after that. The show lost momentum. He did a few more new songs from Modern Times. The last song was a stately Masters Of War. Again, he needlessly repeated the first verse. After 'I'll stand by your grave and make sure that you're dead' it should grind to a forbidding halt. The first encore was Thunder On The Mountain (I'm not past my prime but we can have a good time' got a huge cheer). The second was basically Hendrix's take on All Along The Watchtower.

The set list was as follows:

1. Cat's In The Well (Bob on electric guitar)
    2. The Times They Are A-Changin' (Bob on electric guitar)
    3. Watching The River Flow (Bob on electric guitar)
    4. It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding) (Bob on electric guitar)
    5. When I Paint My Masterpiece (Bob on electric guitar, Stu on acoustic guitar)
    6. Rollin' And Tumblin' (Bob on keyboard)
    7. Workingman's Blues #2 (Bob on keyboard)
    8. 'Til I Fell In Love With You (Bob on keyboard and harp)
    9. A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall
    (Bob on keyboard, Donnie on electric mandolin, Stu on acoustic guitar, Tony on standup bass)
    10. Tangled Up In Blue (Bob on keyboard and harp)
    11. Spirit On The Water (Bob on keyboard and harp)
    12. Highway 61 Revisited (Bob on keyboard)
    13. Nettie Moore (Bob on keyboard, Donnie on violin)
    14. Summer Days (Bob on keyboard)
    15. Masters Of War (Bob on keyboard)

(encore)
    16. Thunder On The Mountain (Bob on keyboard)
    17. All Along The Watchtower (Bob on keyboard)

Band Members
    Bob Dylan - electric guitar, keyboard, harp
    Tony Garnier - bass
    George Recile - drums
    Stu Kimball - rhythm guitar
    Denny Freeman - lead guitar
    Donnie Herron - violin, electric mandolin, pedal steel, lap steel

Only on this board could a review of Bob Dylan pale into insignificance against what's to come!
    Sounds like Bob can still wow the audience, FP, and even if it tailed off towards the end, some of the performances must have been outstanding. What an evening. Thanks for the review.

I've only just caught up with your review of Chicage, Molly. Thanks for the interesting details! (One day someone may have to explain to me about Schwetty moments). I loved their song, If You Leave Me Now, which was a big hit over here in the 70s.

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...