Page 92 of 114 FirstFirst ... 4282888990919293949596102 ... LastLast

Thread: Concerts

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

Default Re: Concerts

I"m not sue I would like that approach...
    I agree they have to "shake uo the set list"

Just not sure I am comfortable with that idea.

tt

Okay then

I'm not a big Rush fan, but if I didn't hear Limelight I think I would be upset.

Last month we went to the Decatur (IL) Celebration and saw The Spin Doctors. They played two shows on Sunday night, and because we had to work the next morning and the drive home was 1 1/2 hours, we went to the first show. They didn't do Pocket Full of Kryptonite! Said that they were doing two totally different shows so you have to come back for the second show. I was mad! And they sucked!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Border Troubadour prayfordaylight's Avatar

If you're into rarities, the split setlists are great but they took out all but 2 hits overall. No Limelight in either and they took out Spirit of Radio from the A setlist in favor of a 2112 Medley.

This is akin to only hearing HC, TIE and then no other hits. The songs are popular with diehards but they alienate more casual fans (like my bf who didn't know any of the songs outside of Tom Sawyer and Subdivisions).
    -Ali

You can see the stars and still not see the light.

Border Troubadour prayfordaylight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    Bite your tongue, Soda! I get so mad when I go to a show and they don't play 'the hits'. Granted, the Eagles have lots of hits, but if I didn't hear HC and TIE I would be really upset.
    I get mad too. That's why I'll never see Yes again. If anyone wanted to hear your early 90s albums, they would've bought them but no one did so play Roundabout (the ONLY hit they played when I saw them and it was the next to last song) already.
    -Ali

You can see the stars and still not see the light.

Has anyone ever seen Van Morrison in concert? We saw him years ago, and he was the rudest performer I have ever seen. He did not say one word throughout the whole show. Not hello, not thank you, nothing. He didn't even smile. The whole show was over in a little over an hour because all he did was play his songs. I enjoy the little stories most performers tell. And he could have at least said thank you for coming. That show is still what I think of when I hear one of his songs. I hope he was just having a bad night, and he's not like that all the time. But still, we paid good money for the tickets and it's not our fault if he was having a bad night. That's part of being a performer- the show must go on.

How lame!

Geez, is it really that freaking hard to give your audience a pleasant experience rather than treating it as a distasteful obligation you want to get through as quickly as possible?

The Eagles may not always feel like playing, but they never let it show. Heck, in 1994, Glenn was out there performing while in terrible pain and nobody in the audience ever knew anything was wrong. Everybody was shocked to hear that he collapsed after the show. While I'm not saying every performer should take it to that extreme, it makes me even more contemptuous of the likes of Van Morrison.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by SallyGee View Post
    Has anyone ever seen Van Morrison in concert? We saw him years ago, and he was the rudest performer I have ever seen. He did not say one word throughout the whole show. Not hello, not thank you, nothing. He didn't even smile. The whole show was over in a little over an hour because all he did was play his songs. I enjoy the little stories most performers tell. And he could have at least said thank you for coming. That show is still what I think of when I hear one of his songs. I hope he was just having a bad night, and he's not like that all the time. But still, we paid good money for the tickets and it's not our fault if he was having a bad night. That's part of being a performer- the show must go on.

I saw him back in 1985. I guess your reaction depends on how much you know about Van Morrison. As far as I am aware, yes, he is like that all the time, although I enjoyed the show I went to because I love his music so much. He is grumpy and moody & that is it, I'm afraid. Smiling is not something he does often. I have a wonderful photo of him with Eric Clapton where he is smiling, such a rare shot I had it made into a postcard.

Quote Originally Posted by SallyGee View Post
    very disappointing to hear about Van Morrison being like this...maybe he should get a job in a factory or picking up garbage then he might appreciate how lucky he is to make his living the way he does ( I know all our guys do)

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    How lame!

Geez, is it really that freaking hard to give your audience a pleasant experience rather than treating it as a distasteful obligation you want to get through as quickly as possible?

The Eagles may not always feel like playing, but they never let it show. Heck, in 1994, Glenn was out there performing while in terrible pain and nobody in the audience ever knew anything was wrong. Everybody was shocked to hear that he collapsed after the show. While I'm not saying every performer should take it to that extreme, it makes me even more contemptuous of the likes of Van Morrison.
    wow never knew that about Glenn, what happened with him?

He had a very severe flare-up of his diverticulitis. It required him to be hospitalized and have major surgery where they had to remove part of his intestines. Before the surgery, he was in a lot of pain but he kept performing. Nobody knew how bad it was until his collapse after the Philadelphia show in 1994. The band had to postpone the rest of the tour until he recovered, and that took months.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten