Page 58 of 114 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268108 ... LastLast

Thread: Concerts

Default Re: Concerts

Thanks Koala and PM! I really did have such a wonderful time-it was the kind of concert I never wanted to end! Of course, that has happened with other performers too! I remember the last time I saw the Eagles (in Scotland), when "Desperado" started, I became quite emotional, knowing it was the last song, and not knowing when I would see them again!
    PM-glad you enjoyed your concert too. I know what you mean about the heat-at the Philadelphia Folk Festival, I could feel the sweat just pouring off me. I think I lost a few pounds that day!

Yeah, there were a couple of times at the Celebration when we were standing in the sun listening to a band and we had to go find some shade before I passed out! The heat has never affected me like that - it was irritating, but sort of scary too.

At one point we were standing about 200 feet from the Christian stage listening to a young woman (Francesca Battistelli) sing who was 8 months pregnant. She caught our attention because she had such a beautiful voice. Anyway, she was sitting down on the drummer's stage because she was feeling ill because of the heat, but she was still singing. We turned to our left just in time to see a teenage girl pass out and fall onto the street! It looked like she was with her mother and another girl, who were aiding her. Within 1 minute an golf cart-like vehicle was there with ETM's aboard. After keeping her down for about 10 minutes they loaded her onto a stretcher and off she went into an ambulance parked not too far away.

I enjoy going to the Celebration every year. I hope it's never that hot again!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

SANTANA

Great concert at "The Joint" in the Hard Rock Cafe.

Will get my videos processed and if they turn out, I'll post them. The Joint is about as good as it gets acoustically....especially for Carlos. We could literally feel the seats buzzing from the bass and drums...and Carlos has three sets of drums going full bore the entire concert...But that's Latino music and it is the style Carlos has played since I first heard him back in '68 or something like that.

I did take a few pictures too. Have NO IDEA whether any of them turned out. We were back in the back so I moved a few times to the large video monitors for some of the recording. I don't think I have the software to process them on my notebook computer. I'll try to grab some stills off the camera today though and get them posted.

Carlos is getting married! He announced it during the concert and his fiance came out and set in on drums for one song. The lady can get completely down on the skins! I'm not sure what Nationality she is. Very pretty and I think maybe from either Africa or Jamaica. No matter....he should be able to save some money by letting her tour with him on drums!

Time has run out on my Broadband connection this morning. I'll get the pictures processed if I can and upload them when I log back in later today.

Unfortunately, only one picture turned out and one of the videos. When the battery is running low, my camera just doesn't have the juice to capture either full video or full audio. But "Black Magic Woman" did turn out pretty good...about 8 minutes of it! And this stage shot turned out pretty good too.

I'll have to wait until I get home to convert the video. It is a AVI and a MONSTER in size. I think I used "FLASH" before to get a good upload that would play and that didn't take up half of a server <LOL> I got it converted to WMV with a SubTitle at the beginning and it sounds good, but way too large to upload in this format. I will have to wait until I get home to shrink it and put it into FLASH format. Wish I had that HTML5 conversion. May go out and look for it.

Last edited by MikeA; 09-02-2010 at 02:08 PM.

MikeA

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Cool Mike! I've heard Santana puts on a really good show. Can't wait to hear BMW! Love that song!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I downloaded a converter and switched it to FLASH but it is still HUGE at 50mb. But it should launch a flash player if you click on it. It's still uploading now and should be done in a few minutes.

http://www.mvabercrombie.net/Carlos Santana.flv

Crossing fingers!

Sorry, but it seems that if you click on the link, it downloads to your hard drive. That's not necessarily a bad thing....it is an acceptable video and the audio is pretty good. Just a 50mb download.
    Last edited by MikeA; 09-02-2010 at 02:48 PM.

MikeA

Mike-So cool that you saw Santana. I love his music.
    Last night I went to John Mayer at Red Rocks. My brother and his friend absolutely love John Mayer... As for myself, well, not so much. UNTIL I heard him in concert. Very good music, very good guitar playing, and very good voice The only part that I didn't like about the concert, was that someone spit beer on my head

EF...appreciate Mayer's guitar playing and his pitch with vocals, but I can't understand the lyrics. And Mayer is one weird character!

MikeA

Yeah he's a bit of a nut, but MAN is that guy talented! He's great live! I must be weird because I don't have as much trouble understanding him as I do several other artists. lol

I have a few concerts coming up to look forward to... Supertramp on the 6th October, The Gaslight Anthem on the 22nd, and Steve Lukather in November! So excited.

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Hey Lou--although I've never seen them, Gaslight Anthem is from New Brunswick, NJ which is only about a half hour from where I live. They began as a NJ punk band, but then embraced elements of the 'Jersey shore sound' as lead singer Brian Fallon incorporated his fondness for a certain artist known as The Boss. Springsteen also recently said in an interview that Gaslight Anthem is one of his favorite current artists. These facts made me realize that I probably should have made it a point to have seen GA before now. I just went on their website, and other than a few more US dates that I cannot make, they will be in Europe and Australia for months and months. Oh well, there's always next summer, I guess...

On another note, I'm going out on a limb, and want to make you (Lou, and any other UK'ers) a concert recommendation. I noticed that in October, one of my favorite bands of all time, Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes, will be playing several dates in the UK. I've read that they have always been very well received in the UK, and have developed quite a following there as well as in other parts of Europe. Anyway, Southside and many of his bandmates played along with the likes of Bruce and many of his bandmates especially in the early days (but even still currently), together becoming synonymous with the Jersey shore sound. The Asbury Jukes are a horn-based rock, blues, and blue-eyed soul band...and Lou, I know you will LOVE Southside Johnny's pure but at times raspy vocals (reminiscent of an Eagle we all know and love!) If you can, check out his version of "Hearts of Stone" or "The Fever" and you'll see what I mean. Other standbys include "Talk to Me," "Trapped Again," "Walk Away Rene," and "Vertigo." (I'm sorry, I don't know how to embed You-Tube.) Their second-to-last album, Grapefruit Moon, was actually a 20-pc. Big Band Jazz album of Tom Waits covers, so their music spans a lot of what we love in the other musicians we love. Take my word and go see them...you will not be disappointed!
    Last edited by eaglesvet; 09-20-2010 at 03:01 AM.
    ~Eva~

...the calling of the tide's eternal tune, the phases of the moon, the chambers of the heart, the egg and dart...