Page 59 of 114 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369109 ... LastLast

Thread: Concerts

Default Re: Concerts

Thanks so much for the recommendation, Eva. They sound right up my street! I'll check out the tracks you named, as well as the concert dates and venues... hopefully I'll be able to go and see them live at some point.

This is the performance that introduced me to The Gaslight Anthem. London's Hard Rock Calling festival last year. I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy it too...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul0XCTeJx_o&feature=related[/ame]

I am so excited about seeing them. Great music, some really poetic lyrics - and Brian's a hottie!

Oh, and for future reference, you can just copy and paste the YouTube URL straight into your message. It will be embedded automatically. No need to use the 'Insert Link' button or anything.

Thanks again! I always love being introduced to new music.

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Ooh, that was a nice performance!! And a huge crowd! Bruce released a 2-DVD set in June called London Calling--Live in Hyde Park. It features the 3 hours of Bruce's concert, including one song that Brian joins him on ('No Surrender'). Unfortunately, it doesn't show any of the rest of Gaslight Anthem's gig.
    ~Eva~

...the calling of the tide's eternal tune, the phases of the moon, the chambers of the heart, the egg and dart...

OK, after 2000 posts, I am going to try to post a video for the first time. All for the sake of Lou and her fellow UK'ers, so they don't lose the opportunity to see my man Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes this October.

http://youtu.be/f3Hqo6mMQ20

Ooh, I think it worked! From the looks of SSJ and the various Jukes in attendance, I'm guessing this vid of Talk to Me is from the early 80's. I chose it because I wanted y'all to hear what the "Jersey shore sound" really is...those horns behind the guitars. And that voice...

I'm going to try to check out SSJ's last Jersey show (before he crosses the Pond) this coming Friday. The only problem with that is we also have tickets to see JD Souther this Saturday. And the only problem with that is my dreamy concert schedule doesn't really allow me enough time to do my day job justice (considering I work Thurs/Fri/Sat, usually fairly late into the evenings.) Oh well, what's a few files to write up and phone calls to make when blue-eyed soul and California rock are calling??

ETA: After checking out the hidden text under the YouTube, the concert shown was from 1985 in Germany. (Not a bad guess above, if I do say so myself.)
    ~Eva~

...the calling of the tide's eternal tune, the phases of the moon, the chambers of the heart, the egg and dart...

Now I found two early ones from the Cleveland Agora (Cleveland Rocks!) from 1978, featuring Southside and the Jukes, plus a very boyishly handsome Springsteen...I'm about ready to

The first one is one of SSJ's signature songs, I Don't Want to Go Home, written by Miami Steve Van Zandt-- who was a Juke in his early career. All of the Jersey shore bands used to trade musicians around over the years. Lou, Southside will play this song at every concert.

http://youtu.be/fXB_0wvLUm8

And, finally for those of you with 8 1/2 minutes of staying power, you will not be disappointed! Same show, same artists (in fact, you can see Miami Steve in his white shirt, black vest and black bandanna throughout the vid...keep your eyes open.) Bruce wrote the song The Fever and gave it up for SSJ, and it's said that Johnny built his career on this performance of it. He overshadows even Bruce (although I still cannot get over the Boss cuteness factor...). You can also find Clarence Clemons dressed all in khaki, including his Panama hat, lending his low voice to the mix.

http://youtu.be/yQ3amVBypEk
    Last edited by eaglesvet; 09-21-2010 at 08:30 AM.
    ~Eva~

Thanks so much for posting those videos, Eva. I LOVED them. He's really got an amazing voice. And loads of passion!

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Oh, I guess I was so passionate about him I forgot to mention his passion! I'm glad you picked up on that ! He bills his band as the "World's Best Bar Band"--the quintessential party band-- even though they have 28 albums out! It's too bad they never gained national attention here in the US; always just a notch under the radar in that regard. Definitely would get radio airplay in the NYC/NY metropolitan area, and probably other Bruce-friendly markets back in the day. But now, it's just the US and European tours to support the albums-- even I would rarely hear one of their songs on the radio anymore, unfortunately.
    ~Eva~

Let me tell you, I really enjoy to read all concert reviews here, because I like the of most this Musicians/Bands too! And because the most of the Musicians/Bands do not come to Germany for whatever reason or they come always when I have no vacation so that I can‘t go!
    So it is always nice to hear a report from your concerts experiences!
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Koala, I noticed that the band whom I had been raving about is also playing one date in Melle, Germany in mid-October. Check out Southside Johnny's website if you enjoyed the videos I posted.
    ~Eva~

Thanks for the hint, I will ckeck the site!
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Last night I had the opportunity to see one of my favorite bands, a Scottish group called Teenage Fanclub. Has anyone on here ever heard them? They have glorious harmonies, and their sound is reminiscent of the sixties-bands like the Byrds, Beach Boys, Beatles, Association, Turtles, Monkees, etc.
    I just love their sound! I would think Eagles fans would like them, as we do appreciate great harmonies!