Page 20 of 114 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070 ... LastLast

Thread: Concerts

Stuck on the Border

Last night a couple of my friends and I went to see the Eagles tribute band "Hotel California".

The performed in our high school auditorium for a local fundraiser. As we entered the building, I was alarmed to see the crowd was made up of probably 50% elderly people. And by elderly, I mean elderly - 70 year olds if they were a day! What the heck?? The seating was first come first so it wasn't a challenge to hurry down past Grandpma shuffling to find herself a seat.

My 2 friends and I parked ourselves 2nd row center. As we sat down, 2 teenagers turned around, seeing me wearing an Eagles t-shirt said "Oh, finally, some actual fans!" One of the girls would occasionally turn around and talk to us about the band over her shoulder. At one point, she turned all the way around and we could see what she was wearing. Now, mind you, this girl is probably only 16 or 17 years old. She was wearing a clingy shirt that was waaaay to small for her not so small torso. And as she turned around to face us, all 3 of us got an eyeful of BOOBS!!! Oh my goodness!! Also mind you, these girls are front row center.

The band was very good. As dreamer said in an earlier post, the guys don't resemble the originals at all. They're very good musicians, however, and that was very enjoyable. The drummer ("Henley") did, as Kay said, sound pretty Donnish on most numbers. 2 of the other members took turns doing Glenn songs and the bassist did a Randy song and a Joe song.

Set list: TIE, Witchy Woman, PEF, Desperado, TS, Already Gone, BOML (acoustic and very good), Lyin' Eyes (introduced as the 1st song to win the Eagles a Grammy -dreamer -fire off another e-mail),
    LITFL, HT, The Long Run, Seven Bridges Road (fabulous), Get Over It (fast and fun!), Dirty Laundry, Rocky Mountain Way, Heart of the Matter, and TITTL (introduced as the credit card song!)

The crowd was sooo quiet and lame. Before doing Dirty Laundry, a bandmember asked if there were any Don Henley fans in the audience -quite a bit of Woo Hoos. Before doing Heartache Tonight, he asked if there were any Glenn Frey fans in the audience - one lone Woo Hoo! Any guess who that was? It was a lonely Woo Hoo -but it was a hearty Woo Hoo!

Like dreamer said, I got noticed and smiled at a lot I'm sure for my t-shirt and the fact that I sang along with the band every word, every aahh, every oooh!

I mentioned the young lady with the tight clothing coz during the encore "HC", the band suddenly lost it and started laughing. The "Don" could barely get through the last first of the song and the "Glenn" had to turn his back to the audience so they couldn't see him laughing. I do believe while trying to sway back and forth with her arms up in the air and using her cell phone as a light -the young lady had complete frontal spillage!

Unprofessional of the band - probably. But too funny! They'll probably not forget West Bend any time soon!

Oh Molly, that's given me a great chuckle at the end! I've seen this band's website, and read dreamer's review before. Sounds cool, especially if they nailed Seven Bridges Road, and good to include a couple of solo songs. But why all the OAPs? Were they giving away tickets at the local pharmacy?!

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

lol, Molly! Thanks for the review! Guess the band got some entertainment that night, too. I'd love to see one of those tribute bands, just to hear stuff like Seven Bridges Road. Too bad there's none around here.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

LOL Molly!
    How can love survive in such a graceless age?

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Molly – I’m glad you had a good time at the show. I’m surprised at how much they changed the set list from the show I saw (hint, hint real guys)and also that they didn’t do Hotel California. I thought that they would always do that since it is their name. I would have loved to have heard Seven Bridges Road. I get the feeling I’m never going to get to see anyone perform this song live.

I would recommend their show to anyone who has a chance to go see them. It is very enjoyable. You can check out their website for tour dates. It’s funny because I totally lucked out when they played here. I read something about them and decided to check out the website. When I looked at the tour dates, I saw that they were going to be playing not too far from me within a couple of weeks. I should check it again, but everytime I go there it makes me mad to still see Glenn’s name spelled incorrectly on the site.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer
    and also that they didn’t do Hotel California. I thought that they would always do that since it is their name. site.
    Sorry, I probably wasn't clear in my review...they did do Hotel California -it was the encore that they giggled through.

Absolutely, if anyone gets the chance to see them they should go-it was fun! It'll be enough to hold me over until I can see the "real thing".

I checked out their website the day before the show and saw that it had them listed as being in Winslow, AZ the same night they were supposed to be in West Bend. I apologized to my friends as we were driving to the show-I told them I hoped we really were seeing the band we had tickets for and not some quickly scheduled fill in. A last minute booking in West Bend would probably be some guy with an accordian playing polkas.

Quote Originally Posted by Molly
    A last minute booking in West Bend would probably be some guy with an accordian playing polkas.
    This bit cracked me up Molly. The first Thanksgiving I was married we spent at my in-laws' house and fil put on polka music.

(did you know ILTWAWD is done with an accordion?)
    (heehee...hubby, being 100% German, was made to learn accordion as a child)

Stuck on the Border

In my senility, I completely forgot I had this picture. L to R "Don",
    "Felder", "Glenn", "Timmy/Randy/Joe" (some of them sing more than one member's vocal parts and the "Glenn" is the 2nd guitarist in the group)

Stuck on the Border EasyFeeling's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Little Sister
    Quote Originally Posted by Molly
    A last minute booking in West Bend would probably be some guy with an accordian playing polkas.
    This bit cracked me up Molly. The first Thanksgiving I was married we spent at my in-laws' house and fil put on polka music.

(did you know ILTWAWD is done with an accordion?)
    (heehee...hubby, being 100% German, was made to learn accordion as a child)
    My mom has to learn it too and she hated it!

Stuck on the Border EasyFeeling's Avatar

As I already told you I went to the Take That concert yesterday.
    It was… faaaaaaaaaaaantastic! What a show! Hot, sexy and powerful. One of the best I’ve ever seen. Eagles, Keith and TT… my top 3 concerts.

As we had to learn last week one of the guys got an injury during a concert. He made a risky jump and had a surgery on the lungs. Even so we knew he was with the guys in Hamburg so we hoped he would feel better. Before the show started they announced he’s still not able to do the show. People were told they can get their money back if they want to leave. Of course, no one left the audience.

The big surprise was… as they finished the first song the other three guys excused for that situation and asked us to enjoy the concert. And then the curtain opened up and who walked across the stage? The poor Howard, dressed in that green scrubs, open on his back, with nothing underneath, naked. You can imagine what was going on in the audience, a lot of screaming. The camera was “on it” most of the time. OMG, his butt was worth seeing! He was holding a little paper in his hand from which he read off his little speech in German and thanked us for coming and that he felt so sorry he can’t do the show. That was so sweet and the crowd was moved to tears and so am I. As he finished he wished us a lot of fun, turned around and while he was walking off the stage we had a wonderful view on his butt, the crowd and his band mates cracked up with laughter. Unbelievable.

They did all their big hits as well as many of the new album. There were a lot of dancers, pyrotechnic stuff, fire as well as a bridge which came down from the top so the guys could walk over to the smaller stage in the audience where they performed a couple of songs.
    A very very moving moment was when Gary started the song Could It Be Magic on which actually Robbie Williams sings lead. Our European friends here surely know Robbie left the band back then and it was a hard time for the fans. Now he’s not missing anymore but when HIS song is starting you always have to think of Robbie. The atmosphere changed suddenly, people were so quiet and you could literally feel the sorrow in the audience. I had a lump in my throat and a hard time to hold back the tears. Usually at that moment his hologram appears on stage and he sings the intro. Thank god they dropped it some time ago otherwise

They played for 2 hours and I enjoyed every minute. I haven’t expected such a mixed audience, I saw people of all ages and one-third were men. Yes, boygroup was yesterday, now it’s Take That. I really hope they will come back soon. I’ll be there for sure. Here some photos:

Be careful, Jason

For our American friends who have never heard of them I post a video. That's in a stadium and yesterday the atmosphere was like that.

One of their biggest hits, Never Forget:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=he8lihVw6Q4

And a download if you want to listen, Back For Good:

http://bitshare.de/download.php?file=385065