Page 31 of 114 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334354181 ... LastLast

Thread: Concerts

Thanks for the review, Fp. I'm still kicking myself for not going to see him in Plymouth last year - he played the football stadium. The only studio album I have is Too Low For Zero (about the second cd we ever bought, but I have a lot of the other tracks on The Very Best Of Elton John double album.

Wow, I wonder where those Crow t-shirts come from. I want one too!!

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Stuck on the Border EasyFeeling's Avatar

Oh, really cool, FP. I always wanted to see Elton John and hopefully I will get the chance one day.

I'm really happy... on Saturday I bought a ticket for Roger Hodgson (Supertramp), yay. I saw him 3 years ago, but he only performend 4 songs because there were many more artists at that show. Since then I'm waiting for a tour in Germany and I will go end of August in Bremen.

That's great, EF! You are probably really looking forward to it!

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Stuck on the Border

I envy you, Julie. I haven't had the chance to see Elton. He's on my list!

We got tickets to see Lynyrd Skynyrd this summer right here in West Bend. LS is hubby's all time favorite band, and yet, somehow he's never seen them.

We'll be seeing them at the HOG (Harley Owner's Group) Festival. Harley Davidson motorcycles are a Milwaukee based company so Harley's are a very big deal here in Wisconsin.

Hubby and I don't own a Harley, I haven't been on one since before I was married. I'm thinking we're going to really stand out in this crowd of motorcycle riders! We've been around HOG owners all of lives, though, and know many personally so I know they'll welcome us as one of their own -even if we're not wearing leather!

That's great for you and your hubby, Molly - I'm sure you'll have a great time. It will be a big moment for your hubby!

What you wrote about the HOG Festival reminded me of a 3 and a half hour show I did with my previous band on 22 January 2005 in Cape Town. We performed on the sidewalk (or pavement as we call it here) outside a cafe, which was hosting a Harley Davidson photographic exhibition. The gig turned into something of a street party, although the street wasn't cordoned off. We had buses driving past us playing on the pavement, and the people peered down at us, with varying expressions! It was quite novel to see a 6-piece band playing on a sidewalk in the centre of town!

The guests ended up dancing along the side of the street, and it was a good night, all for a good cause. Proceeds from the exhibition went in aid of muscular dystrophy.

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Lynyrd Skynyrd should be great Molly! They are among my favorites, too. Have fun!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Have fun, Molly! Don't get into too much trouble with those wild motorbike guys.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Well while Soda (and my heart) was in Minnesota last night I had a 'date' with Neil Diamond in Dublin. He was only playing for one night. We left the house with an hour and 15 mins to do a 20 minute train ride followed by a 5 minute walk. The powers that be had been encouraging everyone to use public transport as there's no parking at Croke Park where the gig was. So shortly before 7pm we arrived at the station to be told that the next train was at 8:08pm (The gig was to start at 8pm ). Typical of Dublin. Back into the car with hubby trying to run down every side street he knew to avoid the ferry traffic as well. Eventually we abandoned the car at a city centre fire station and ran the rest of the way. Still we made it with a short while to go.

Considering I bought the tickets less than 2 hours after release last December I was a little disappointed that our seats (in a stand) were very far away from the stage. We could really only see him on the big screens to the left and right of the stage.

Neil came on wearing a black shirt with Black trousers and a charcoal jacket which he wore for most of the evening. He played a black accoustic guitar with a white (mother of pearl?) Diamond as a scratch guard from the sound hole.

The concert was a little slow to start as I think many of the audience weren't as familiar with some of his earlier numbers. I didn't get a chance to compile a set liat but some of his more popular songs that he included were

Solitary Man
    Beautiful Noise
    I am I said
    I'm a Believer
    Red Red Wine
    Kentucky Woman
    I'm a Believer

He had the crowd up on their feet for 'Forever in Blue Jeans' and then while he had the momentum going wisely followed it with 'Sweet Caroline' easily his most popular and well known over here. That of course had everyone singing and 'hands touching hands'. When he had finished it he did the chorus again to rousing applause.

After that he did 'You don't bring me Flowers' with one of the female singers who backed him on other songs (sorry, I didn't catch her name on the intro!!)

Of note as well, he introduced some new songs from his recently released album 'Home before Dark', Pretty Amazing Grace and title track which is a beautiful soft song.

I know he included other songs as well and finished the main show on 'Song Sung Blue' When he came out for an encore he was wearing a red military style jacket (Which made him a lot clearer!) and did 'Cracklin Rosie', and 'America'

All in all it was a very good night. Some miscellaneous observations/ comments:

He played for just under 2 hours, without an interval as there is a planning bye law that gigs in Croke Park must finish by 10:30pm. I guess I take the 3 hr + gigs that the Eagles do for granted! The tickets cost just over €100 each (thats about $150). I definitely feel that the Eagles give a lot more value for money. There's 4 of them and their backing band is a lot better!

When I commented on Neils guitar hubby replied 'I suppose you want to buy it!'

Neil asked for a round of applause for 'The Best Band in the world'. I took a slight liberty and commented 'Nope, they're playing in Minnesota tonight!'

Finally they showed quite a lot of video footage to accompany some of the songs. During the song 'America' they were showing some images that are always associated with the USA. One image that they finished with was that of a soaring Eagle! As there were 2 screens we saw two Eagles! So I suppose you could say that the Eagles were in Croke Park last night!!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border

Thanks for that review GA. I'm glad he put on a good show. I really will have to go and see him next time.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Oh I hope you do FP. He's definitely worth it
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP