Page 32 of 114 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282 ... LastLast

Thread: Concerts

Sounds like a good show!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

This weekend was City Stages, Birmingham's big outdoor music festival. There really wasn't anyone I specifically wanted to see this year, but we always go and we usually discover new music we like. Last night's headliner was The Flaming Lips, a psychedelic rock band from OK City known for flamboyant stage shows, so my concert-going daughter Bamagirl & I went to see them. They were a trip, all right! The show started with the lead singer actually surfing the crowd in a giant "hamster ball." They blew tons of confetti and silly string into the audience, and tossed out about 20 huge beach balls too. When Bamagirl saw the big half-moon video screen behind them, she said, "That is the same kind of screen the Eagles used--but the Eagles did it better!"

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Sounds like you had a good time, at least, DF!

Thanks for the review on Neil Diamond, Ga. After your hurried trip getting there, I'm glad he put on a good show. Too bad about your seats being so far away though. I love some of his songs, especially Song Sung Blue and Sweet Caroline.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Thanks Brooke! You know after I posted this review I read the professional one from the Sunday Independent. Apart from the additional information that the gig was late to start because Neil was suffering from Jet lag, we were nearly identical. The reviewer also commented on how bad the accoustics were in Croke Park. To think there had been talk last October that the Eagles were to have played there in June! I'm nearly glad they didnt!!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

But really probably not, GA! After all, acoustics or not, if the Eagles had played Croke Park, we'd have been there, wouldn't we?!

Great review about the Neil Diamond concert, but what a bummer about the public transport arrangements - it's a bit like our experience at the O2, catching the last underground train from the venue and then being dumped at Oxford Circus after midnight with no connections. Neil's new album has received a good reception over here.

DF, your daughter has impeccable taste! Sounds like that festival was a hoot!

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Quote Originally Posted by glenneaglesfan
    But really probably not, GA! After all, acoustics or not, if the Eagles had played Croke Park, we'd have been there, wouldn't we?!
    We would have been GEF, We would
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border

Here is Undercover's story about Neil Diamond's opening night in Rotterdam:

http://undercover.com.au/News-Story.aspx?id=5041

Some interesting selections here. I would be happy just to hear the magnificent Love On The Rocks, Crunchy Granola Suite & Done Too Soon, not to mention Hell Yeah from 12 Songs, and Street Life and Beautiful Noise. I hope this tour comes here because I'm going.

Default The Flaming Lips

DonFan, I was tickled to read The Flaming Lips performed at your concert. I lived in Norman Ok before moving to Tennesse and they were extremely popular in our area. They do put on quite a performance. Looks like they are going somewhere. For those of you interested in hearing someone else who is up and coming, I have a great friend in Oklahoma who is just awesome. He has a mySpace page and his name is Dustin Pittsley. He has been performing since he was very young and put out his first album when he was about 14. He's a really talented guy and very nice. I've mentioned in the past that I was involved in the music scene in California years ago and I always love to hear about new performers, so I was excited to hear about TFL, thanks for sharing that DF.
    I possess the silver bullets to slay the demons from my past. How do I know? Because I survived them-and I am already stronger than I believe.

Yes! FP, there are some! Its not the same set list as in Dublin, obviously he 'tweaked' it slightly. He DID do Red Red Wine in Dublin, but I too missed 'Shiloh' which surprised me as it would be popular over here.

The Encore was the same.

That article suggests he WILL be going to Australia, so I hope you make it to see him.
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Concerts

We went to see English comedian Bill Bailey last night. He mixes music with standup, playing keyboards and guitars and making all sorts of jokes about music (what if Satan were a lounge act, imagine God Save The Queen played jazz style). He's very funny but the act isn't easy to write about.