Page 85 of 114 FirstFirst ... 357581828384858687888995 ... LastLast

Thread: Concerts

Default Re: Concerts

That was my first thought too, FP.

But I'm glad you had a good time, Koala!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    The Pet Shop Boys SUPPORTED Take That?
    I am also surprised over it! However, I was really happy about it! I've always wanted to see the Pet Shop Boys in Concert but so far I had never an opportunity!
    They played a little over 50 minutes, very cool!
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Stuck on the Border

We saw Randy Newman with the Sydney Symphony Orchestra last night at the Opera House. At the moment I have only an approximate setlist. It included (but not necessarily in this order):

Birmingham
    Short People
    Simon Smith & the Amazing Dancing Bear
    In Germany Before the War
    I'm Dead (But I Don't Know It)
    I Miss You
    The Great Nations of Europe
    Marie
    I Miss You
    I Love To See You Smile
    The Girls in My Life (Part I)
    You Can Leave Your Hat On
    Political Science
    The World Isn't Fair
    You've Got a Friend in Me
    Losing You
    Cowboy
    Love Story
    Dixie Flyer
    Louisiana 1927
    Real Emotional Girl
    Sail Away
    I Think It's Going to Rain Today

Political Science & In Germany Before the War were a bit further down. The World Isn't Fair was near the beginning. He also conducted some orchestral music from some of the films he scored; Toy Story, The Natural, Maverick & Avalon.

The scary thing about this man is that he can pack so many songs into one show because none of them last barely three minutes; but every one of them consist of the most truthful, acerbic and/or moving lyrics you will ever hear, not to mention some of the most beautiful piano work. The big surprise here, I suppose, is no God's Song; my personal disappointment was no Baltimore, but I can't complain.

A couple of my absolute favourite songs I have now had the immense privilege of hearing; namely The World Isn't Fair, The Great Nations Of Europe, Dixie Flyer (which was produced by Mark Knopfler & as Randy says himself is one of his few autobiographical songs), Political Science (the line 'we'll save Australia' got a big cheer) and Sail Away which brought tears to my eyes. And they sounded magnficent with the orchestra, particularly In Germany Before The War. The audience got to sing the 'he's dead' parts in I'm Dead (But I Don't Know It) which is all about how 60 year old rock stars never retire. And nor should they when they are as talented as Randy!

We took Rosalind for her first night out. I think she enjoyed it (especially You've Got A Friend In Me).

Glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for the review.

Guess who I saw perform live last night? Okay, I'll give you some hints...

When David Lee Roth left Van Halen, Eddie Van Halen invited this vocalist to be the band's new lead singer, but since she was 8 months pregnant at the time, she declined.

She's married to a former tennis star.

She sang backup on some Don Henley solo albums, and in 1992 had a hit record with a song featuring Don Henley.

Did you guess? It's PATTY SMYTH!!!!! I saw her at the Decatur Celebration with her band Scandal where she performed for about 45 minutes (the usual time for these free shows.) We saw her at 7:00 and she was going to do another at 10:15. She was great! It was very, very hot and humid but she was a real trooper and yes, she did Sometimes Love Just Ain't Enough. I thought maybe her guitarist would do Don's part (or maybe Don would just walk out on stage and surprise everybody ) but she sang the entire song herself. It was beautiful! She also did all the other songs she's known for...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLyz57YiNJ4&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIDaBF8LILk[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKvhX2Z5ubc[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_50-gOeBilc[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdzbjUWu2VU[/ame]

I'm so glad we went on Saturday instead of today. Night Ranger performed tonight. I had a really good time. She's very real onstage. I'm surprised I didn't have any of her stuff on my ipod but I fixed that today.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Very cool!

You saw Night Ranger too?! I love Night Ranger - one of my favs.

"Sister Christian oh the time has come.....and you know that you're the only one to say.....ok".
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Very cool!

You saw Night Ranger too?! I love Night Ranger - one of my favs.

"Sister Christian oh the time has come.....and you know that you're the only one to say.....ok".
    Nope, didn't get to see Night Ranger. Since we live 1 1/2 hours away we only go on one day. Leading up to the weekend (for weeks now) we had thought we would go on Sunday and see Night Ranger. For one thing, I had to work Saturday morning, but a last minute decision (partly Smyth vs. Ranger) had us go on Saturday instead. I'm really glad we made that choice. I have always liked Patty Smyth's voice. I hold her right up there with Ann Wilson.

Don't get me wrong - I like NR too. I'm just saying I think I made the right choice for me. Heck, if I had it my way we'd be at the Celebration all weekend long!

We also saw a really good Tina Turner impersonator. 'Cher' did a half hour too but we missed her.

Austin, you should go sometime. You might really enjoy it, although being the first weekend of August it's always really hot.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Glad you had a good time, Cathy!

Julie - thanks so much for posting the Randy Newman setlist, and your thoughts on the show. I would absolutely love to see him live. He is a genius. There is no-one like him. I'm thrilled you got the chance to go and that you enjoyed it.

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Patty Smyth sounds cool! I'm glad she did the whole song herself - it wouldn't have sounded right without Don. (That's what Stevie did for Leather and Lace in her solo concerts too - she just changed "strong man" to "strong one.") I love "The Warrior" too!

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Pm, sounds good!

I guess I got the answer to my question in another thread when you mentioned the Decatur Celebration! (I had asked when it was and who was going to be there one day last week!) Guess I'm a little late! Story of my life! lol
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten