Page 30 of 39 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: How did you become a fan of the Eagles/a specific Eagle?

Default Re: How did you become a fan of the Eagles/a specific Eagle?

In honor of my first Eagles concert in 2 days, I thought I'd answer this question.

I can't remember exact years... circa 76-77... but I know that it was when I was a teenager because I can see myself sitting on the floor in my bedroom, headphones on, music blasting in my ears, drowning out the world behind me. <cue violins> I had a terrible father, and my escape was to lock myself in my room, push furniture in front of the door... (because I didn't want to have any interaction with him when he came home drunk, reeking of cheap beer). I had a collection of over 300 albums, which I thought was pretty darn good for a kid my age of 13 or 14! I joined every 'record club' there was out there to get the 15 for a penny deal. I would buy the required amount then cancel the membership and rejoin months later when they sent me a new deal in the mail. At the time, because I couldn't afford to buy EVERY album that a group had, I opted in many occasions for a greatest hits album, thusly, the iconic Eagles - Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975 was my choice for Eagles albums. I was floored by the harmonies and by the fact that there were so many different singers. Already Gone and Take It Easy were early favorites. Then of course came Hotel California later on and it became my anthem. From the time I was a little girl, I wanted to live in the beautiful, palm-tree lined streets of California... not dirty, dusty tobacco road farms in NC. I did a lot of day dreaming to that song!

I was growing up at a time when long hair on boys was the norm and I, like everyone else was attracted to that hippie look. I remember with long awaited anticipation of The Long Run and flipping it over to see that most of the guys had cut their hair shorter, especially GLENN. Devastation doesn't even cover what I felt about the hair. Although, at my age now, he obviously was super hot during those years, but back then I thought he had become too 'preppy'. Keep in mind, I was hanging out with er, um, the stoners at school and so Glenn had, looks-wise, gone to the 'other side.' Ahh... sometimes being a kid is so silly.... In those later years too, I wasn't a fan of his solo stuff or the whole Miami Vice look. I guess I was still clinging to the 70's and more hard core rock and roll like Led Zep, Floyd, etc. I still LOVED the classic Eagles songs but I was not a fan of any of the 80's music in general at all. Worse decade in music in my opinion....

Anyways, that was rather lengthy! But, it's a pretty good account of my life with the Eagles. I will always favor the old classics the most. I'm still upset that I won't be seeing or hearing "Already Gone" played. I guess I have to come to terms with that.

My mind is Tiffany twisted

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Great story lizzy! Thanks for sharing it with us!

The long hair on Glenn (and all the guys) has always appealed to me too since I was also a teenager back then. It's still my favorite.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesvet View Post
    Mine is not too exciting. Back in the day when bigger was better when it came to buying stereo systems, I remember going into a "stereo store" with my parents to purchase my first system in 8th grade in 1975. Stereo stores would have acoustically-enhanced rooms where you could play all the different components you were considering, and test out their sounds before making your purchase. Nothing like buying the thinnest I-Pod today, and then getting a light-up I-Dog like my 9-yr-old Graham has! Anyway, for my birthday my parents bought me a receiver, turntable, and 2 large speakers...so I was all set! And the next thing I did was buy my first 3 albums: Bruce's Born to Run, the Eagles One of these Nights, and Chicago VIII. Along the way, Chicago dropped out of my radar completely; but as you all know, the other 2 musical groups are ranked as high on my list now as they were back then!
    I didn't know if I would be able to bump up my previous reply...let's see!
    ~Eva~

...the calling of the tide's eternal tune, the phases of the moon, the chambers of the heart, the egg and dart...

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesvet View Post
    Oh, as far as specific Eagle, I would have to say it was at the HFO concert at the Meadowlands. We were actually on the floor level, but quite a ways back--maybe mid-arena or farther, so nothing to write home (or on the Border) about. But, once I laid eyes on Glenn, it was all over for me. They all looked hot, but he was !
    Lookie-there, I can!
    ~Eva~

...the calling of the tide's eternal tune, the phases of the moon, the chambers of the heart, the egg and dart...

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by lizzyplays View Post
    In honor of my first Eagles concert in 2 days, I thought I'd answer this question.

I can't remember exact years... circa 76-77... but I know that it was when I was a teenager because I can see myself sitting on the floor in my bedroom, headphones on, music blasting in my ears, drowning out the world behind me. <cue violins> I had a terrible father, and my escape was to lock myself in my room, push furniture in front of the door... (because I didn't want to have any interaction with him when he came home drunk, reeking of cheap beer). I had a collection of over 300 albums, which I thought was pretty darn good for a kid my age of 13 or 14! I joined every 'record club' there was out there to get the 15 for a penny deal. I would buy the required amount then cancel the membership and rejoin months later when they sent me a new deal in the mail. At the time, because I couldn't afford to buy EVERY album that a group had, I opted in many occasions for a greatest hits album, thusly, the iconic Eagles - Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975 was my choice for Eagles albums. I was floored by the harmonies and by the fact that there were so many different singers. Already Gone and Take It Easy were early favorites. Then of course came Hotel California later on and it became my anthem. From the time I was a little girl, I wanted to live in the beautiful, palm-tree lined streets of California... not dirty, dusty tobacco road farms in NC. I did a lot of day dreaming to that song!

I was growing up at a time when long hair on boys was the norm and I, like everyone else was attracted to that hippie look. I remember with long awaited anticipation of The Long Run and flipping it over to see that most of the guys had cut their hair shorter, especially GLENN. Devastation doesn't even cover what I felt about the hair. Although, at my age now, he obviously was super hot during those years, but back then I thought he had become too 'preppy'. Keep in mind, I was hanging out with er, um, the stoners at school and so Glenn had, looks-wise, gone to the 'other side.' Ahh... sometimes being a kid is so silly.... In those later years too, I wasn't a fan of his solo stuff or the whole Miami Vice look. I guess I was still clinging to the 70's and more hard core rock and roll like Led Zep, Floyd, etc. I still LOVED the classic Eagles songs but I was not a fan of any of the 80's music in general at all. Worse decade in music in my opinion....

Anyways, that was rather lengthy! But, it's a pretty good account of my life with the Eagles. I will always favor the old classics the most. I'm still upset that I won't be seeing or hearing "Already Gone" played. I guess I have to come to terms with that.
    When Glenn cut his hair, it had precisely the opposite effect on me. When he had long hair I had no interest in him at all. Obviously once I 'fell' for him I had to look at the long hair more subjectively, but I can never say that I thought he looked better then.

The members of my previous favourite band had long hair; by the time The Long Run came along & I knew one of the Eagles was going to be 'chosen' as my favourite I was looking for something different, and I got it.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lizzyplays View Post
    I remember with long awaited anticipation of The Long Run and flipping it over to see that most of the guys had cut their hair shorter, especially GLENN. Devastation doesn't even cover what I felt about the hair.
    I remember flipping open that gatefold too but I noticed some long hair I really liked!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lizzyplays
    I guess I was still clinging to the 70's and more hard core rock and roll like Led Zep, Floyd, etc. I still LOVED the classic Eagles songs but I was not a fan of any of the 80's music in general at all. Worse decade in music in my opinion....
    We really are sisters from different mothers, aren't we?
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    I remember flipping open that gatefold too but I noticed some long hair I really liked!!!

We really are sisters from different mothers, aren't we?
    I'm telling you, I have a half sister out there somewhere. She's half-French... and big surprise, her name is Monique.

Perhaps I can start calling you Monique?

My mind is Tiffany twisted

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I came across this thread while browsing through an old Frey Fever thread. I must say that I enjoyed reading about ya'll became Eagles fans. I figured that I would post my story in case someone didn't see it in my New Kid in Town thread. It's not very interesting (except to me of course). I know that I will be a complete newbie for a long time compared to some of you, lol.

I've enjoyed music since I was young. IMy parents' generation of music is mostly what I like. Music, as a whole, is probably the most important thing in my life. Without it, I'm nearly 100% positive that I wouldn't be sitting here typing this.
    (The) Eagles are among the bands that I grew up hearing. I've loved their hit songs since I can remember. Even though I loved the band's music, I'd never seen a picture of them (at least one that wasn't the Desperado cover). I vaguely knew about Don H, and I knew a bit more about Glenn Frey(ie: the song Smuggler's Blues thanks to my mom ), but apart from that I knew nothing else. I just loved the music. Heck, I thought that Don Henley did all of the singingď

Then,back in late April, I was at my uncle's house. He was using youtube to try and stump me on songs. He'd play the song, but then he'd cover up the screen until I got it right. About the 5th round of this, he played the Boys of Summer video. I knew the song, but forgot who sang it. He uncovered the screen and there was Don! My reaction "That's Don Henley?!" Not a bad looking man!

Anyway, I had Boys of Summer stuck in my head for days. Around the time that I managed to get that song out of my head, I had the Eagles live on vinyl that I had just gotten and I was looking at it when a poster fell out (I didn't know that there was one inside ) who's face popped up, but Glenn Frey's! I looked at him (Long Run era) and was like: ... At that time, I was waiting for 2 records to come in: Hotel California and the Long Run. Glenn's HC look didn't appeal to me, but the photo in the gatefold of the Long Run sure did!

Then I remembered the Smuggler's Blues song. I used my smartphone and found the video for it. When I saw Glenn with that stubble, I was like .. I was hooked!
    Then, for about two weeks, I poured into research about Glenn and Eagles. I found out that Glenn was a singer as well in the band. He sang my favorite Eagles song, Outlaw Man and my namesake, Already Gone, which is probably my 3rd favorite Eagles song. I found out that Joe Walsh was a member. I've known the lyrics to Life's Been Good since I was 8 or so!

The straw that broke the camel's back was seeing Glenn on Miami Vice. My uncle I watched part of it together online, and when I saw Jimmy: ... that was it. I was now completely hooked, and possibly obsessed. (Er... make that definitely obsessed).

Over 3 months later, here I am. I've enjoyed learning all that I can about the band and Glenn. I've also enjoyed talking up a storm on here. (Almost 1,000 posts in 2 and a half months! I talk way too much).

I told my uncle that I couldn't believe how long it took for me to "discover" the Eagles more than just on the radio. His response "You knew about them. You just hadn't had the right moment yet". Without him, I wouldn't have had it!

Er, this post turned out to be longer that I had intended, sorry.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Thanks for sharing your story with us AG! I love Glenn on Already Gone too. He ripped it apart on the HOTE shows. Loved it!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Border Troubadour

Okay, I'm admitting my age but I was in my early teens when Dirty Laundry came out and my brother was a huge fan. Then when BOS came out I remember seeing the video and thought Don Henley was uber hot but I had no idea he had been in the Eagles. Then I saw Glenn in Miami Vice and thought he was cool but didn't even know he could sing never mind that he too was a former Eagle.

So anyway, in the mid 80s my brother had a friend whose party piece (after a few drinks) was always Desperado and I loved it but thought it was by Linda Ronstadt (I know I was a confused teen!). Eventually, this friend revealed that, no, er, actually it's by the Eagles...and I already loved TITLL but again no connection to the two boys. So I bought The Very best of the Eagles cassette and nearly wore it out. In the meantime I was still a huge fan of Don's and listening to the cassette one day....duh!...it finally clicked and I recognized THAT voice so I grabbed the sleeve notes and saw, songwriters, Don Henley and Glenn Frey on most of the songs! Well, talk about an eureka moment. I couldn't believe I'd been so stupid, but remember I was a teenager with a lot going on....

....to cut a long story short, and believe it or not I am, my love for Don continued unabated over the years but I finally openly declared it after seeing the HOTE doc and admitted, 'yes, I am addicted to Don Henley' and what's more, I seem to have grown more in love with him the more I read and hear about him. As my mother says, he just ticks all my boxes- intelligent, articulate, compassionate, passionate and oh so gorgeous...but thanks to this site (and FB) I can indulge in my obsession. ...
    ....sorry Glenn, I know you're a cool dude but DON was and always will be my first and only love.
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...