Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: How did you become a fan of the Eagles/a specific Eagle?

Stuck on the Border

Here's part two of my epic - The Solo Years.

Of course I had just become an Eagles and Frey fan when a year later, they broke up. I was in London at the end of 1980 when Don was arrested and I was seriously concerned. Eventually news filtered through that they had in fact split. So now what?

So after waiting impatiently throughout 1981, No Fun Aloud & I Can't Stand Still were released in 1982. It was then I realised that Glenn was more 'lighthearted' and didn't write 'serious' lyrics but I still preferred his voice. I just followed the solo careers - 1985 being a good year for Glenn in particular with his soundtrack hits.

In 1988 of course he came out here to do Expo with LRB and them I saw him for the first time in August. It was a wonderful experience. He had all the charisma and vocal power that I had always thought and he seemed to have a great sense of humour. The TV interviews that he did at the time were really helpful to me. I also saw Joe twice in this period with the Party Boys & the Creatures From America. Joe unfortunately was still an alcoholic. It was quite evident, although he sang & played alright.

But then Glenn's career started to taper off while with EOTI, Don's took off. Don was everywhere and Glenn started acting. Much as I loved Wiseguy I missed his music & singing. Then there were the rumours that they were reforming in 1990. That was what I really wanted - for the two of them to work together again. On my 30th birthday I found out that it wasn't happening and I felt so disillusioned that I decided I was wasting my time. I turned to humour - becoming a Monty Python addict. I decided that Michael Palin of Python was superior to Glenn Frey and had replaced Glenn in my affections. I persisted with this until in 1991 I got Palin's autograph and pretty much embarrassed myself with how I behaved. I knew I was wrong but I felt I couldn't go back.

I tried to treat Strange Weather with complete indifference, even though the entire time I knew I wanted to 'go back' - I just couldn't admit it to myself. I occupied myself with other things... meeting my English penpal and getting married and rediscovering England rather than America, including football.

Stay tuned for Part 3 in which the Eagles reform and I 'come home'.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Wow FP your story is absolutely fascinating - can't wait for part 3. Mine is far more mundane I'm afraid. Being a child of the 70's and having brilliant but older parents my exposure to rock music was to say the least limited. We only had one official national radio channel, and the parents tended to buy classical records, but even with this some Eagles music managed to filter through, and what I heard I liked. Songs which stick out in my mind fron the pre 80 era would include HC of course, Lying Eyes, TIE, TITTL Desperado and a few more. As the 80's arrived I started playing my own music on piano and then taught myself to play the guitar. Many of the popular books of sheet music would have at least one or two Eagles songs in them and I got quite good at playing HC (Which I even sang at a later stage when seriously inebriated), LE and Desperado, since they were the ones cropping up most. Meantime during the eagles "14 year Vacation"(I refuse to say breakup as Glenn didn't) I was exposed to plenty of work from Messrs Henley and Frey. Glenn in particular had a great following this side of the Atlantic. The early 80's also saw the rise of MTV on which I first saw 'Sexy Girl' and remember arguing Glenn's corner with my sister, saying he was 'a bit of allright' quite a high compliment in Irish teenage circles at the time. I bought a popular hits compilation in 1986 entitled 'The heat is on'. No prizes for guessing the first track. TITTL was also on it. I played that tape out for years until my walkman finally ate it I also loved a lot of Glenn's solo work, particularly POMPOY, YBBTTC. Any time I hear Don's BOS it reminds me of a great summer I spent on the East Coast of the USA. Although I missed Glenn playing in Dublin in 1992 (I was in London trying to find work! Times were very different then) I remember the publicity when the band reunited for HFO. In the meantime I was busy doing exams, working, buying houses, getting married, having kids etc, not a lot of time for oneself! And the Internet and its tremendous access to music was only in fledgeling state. I also acquired a keyboard, far more musically versatile than piano.

Scroll down to October 2005. I hear The Eagles will play in Dublin in 2006. The usual, buy your tickets, get your seats. I was online as soon as they were released.

Sunday 11 June 2006 dawned hot and sunny (I'd been watching the weather forecast for weeks) Got the kids sorted, got the parents to babysit (I reckoned they owed me that much in lieu of all the rock music they didn't give me access to in the 70's). We headed off to the concert. We had seats only a few rows from the front. At 8:15 pm the lads came out to sing. Glenn was wearing that gorgeous pink shirt he was wearing in the F1 DVD. Girls, I was lost!! I melted. I just stared at him all night long. I fell madly in love with him that night (Although I suppose it had been a long time coming!) and still am I just wanted that gig to go on forever. Was it his eyes, his voice, his looks......I just don't know - a bit of everything I suppose. I got it bad that night and still haven't recovered.

Anyway the next day I went out and bought both the F1 DVD and the Complete Greatest Hits CD. I listen to them all the time, along with other Eagles work, and of course plenty of Glenns solo work. I love him Live in Dublin, because his voice comes in over the tracks so much. I could listen to that voice forever! Also I suppose because i'm a 'Dub' myself!

I have a laminated photo of Glenn in the inside pocket of my bag- I've rewritten the words of Peaceful Easy Feeling as my special song to him, but I won't bore you with the alternative lyrics here. The kids have unlimited access to Glenn's and the Eagles music and DVDs and already have their favourites. The 5 year old in particular is very musically aware, and can even tell the difference between Glenn and Don singing the same song. My mother thinks she should get more exposure to classical music, but I feel she's better getting all types for the moment. She can pick what she likes when she's older. Its unlikely the Eagles will be around when she's my age. Although they have shown before that Hell does indeed Freeze Over! She'll probably have realised by then that her mum loved an awful lot more about the Eagles than just their music!!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

These stories are all great. I have enjoyed reading each and every one of them. It's really interesting to read about how we all "got here."

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

GA, that is a great story. They're all great stories.

Part 3 of mine is actually something of an anti-climax. I honestly can't remember what it was like when I heard about the reunion. I was very wary of the whole thing after hearing about what had happened with South of Sunset. I vaguely remember that when I first saw HFO and heard those words 'for the record, we didn't break up' etc I thought 'he's back'. And he was back, even though he only sang three songs. He did his 'leadership' act to perfection. I was 'dazed and confused'.

Of course the Australian tour was postponed for a year when he got sick. I thought 'I've waited this long and now I have to wait another year'! But when I finally saw the band it was a fantastic experience, although because it was at the Sydney Cricket Ground I really couldn't see that much. I am glad that I got to see my previous favourite member Felder, who had grown his beard back.

Though I was back as a devoted fan I don't think it was until 2001 when Felder was fired that I really started behaving like a fan again and rediscovering the music. I rediscovered Glenn's music in particular - I no longer felt that I needed to compare it with Don's work. I couldn't believe how important he still was to me. That was brought home to me when I was in the car one day and heard POMPOY and realised - 'this is true. He IS part of me and however vaguely, as a fan, I'm part of him'.

That went on until I went to the five shows on the F1 tour, one in Melbourne and four in Sydney. I have to say that being privileged enough to hear Glenn sing No More Cloudy Days for only the second time with the band was amazing. I can't describe it. Then the Sydney shows, particularly the famous Second Row on December 4, 2004, when I got a huge 'stare' and a 'joke' ('a rich old man and she won't have to worry (much)'. He was looking at me when he said that and I swear it was like a private joke, no matter how often he's done it. And he looked so good and sang perfectly.

Finally since joining Eagleland and Flip City/The Border it's been great sharing my experiences with so many other Eagles fans and long may that continue.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Quote Originally Posted by SodaScouts
    I love reading these, too. FP, yours is like a saga - I'm looking forward to the next part! GA, I understand what you mean about your parents. My parents also found the Eagles unacceptable listening material for their daughters! But as has been noted before, you seem to be teaching the children well.
    Hi Soda! Its not even that they felt it was unacceptable material. It was just that at the time I don't think they ever even noticed it. I mean Dad is over 80 and they're married 50 years next year!! I think Rock music just passed them by. Thats why I want my kids to have as much exposure to music as possible - tho' at the moment its a little limited ie to Eagles and of course Glenn.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

I don't think episode 3 is an anticlimax at all, FP. The moment you heard POMPOY in the car I find quite moving, and I didn't realise that you have had the special look and singing too. This man has a way with making his fans feel very special.

RG, I love that BBC concert as well. I first saw it on a bootleg, which only played about three times -grrr. I have another copy now, and it's also been shown on BBC4, in a shortened version.

GA, I'm interested that Glenn had a following over here - I guess that was during my getting married and having children phase, so I missed out. My parents are about the same age as yours and gave me a very good founding in classical music, but rock and pop music completely passed them by, and I'm afraid they are both starting to suffer with memory problems, so it's not even worth trying to explain the joy I've had recently from the Eagles, and Glenn in particular. That's why I particularly value the chance to share with all of you friends here.

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Awwwww! All of these are so good! I'm behind with this as I've just been so darn busy at work!

I became a fan back in 1972/73 hearing Take It Easy and Witchy Woman on the radio. I was 16 and a junior in high school. In the spring of 73 my boyfriend brought the Eagles first album to school so we could listen to it while we were decorating the gym for prom. (Did anyone else do that back then? I know, I'm old!) He had a good friend in college and he had turned him on to the Eagles! There might have been a little smoke in the air, but we won't go there! Anyway, I looked at the cover and tried to guess who was who. Didn't have a clue, but they sure were cute! Especially the guy with the afro and the longest haired one! I married that boyfriend right out of high school and we were poor as dirt, but we did have our music! We both loved the Eagles music and managed to buy all their albums. Somehow, we even scraped up the money to go to St. Louis with some friends to a concert. It was during Hotel California tour, but I can't remember which year. Probably 77 or 78? By that time, I had figured out that Don was the drummer with the afro and Glenn was the longest haired guy and which songs they sang. I was pretty much in love with Don then, but Glenn was always knocking at the door! Don, ugh, that voice just made me melt, but then Glenn's was sooooooo sweet. How does a girl decide?! I'm pretty sure it's a good thing I lived in the Midwest and had no access or money to go to concerts all the time. Much as I love my hubby and all, I might have become a groupie! Really!

I remember being completely shocked when Joe joined the band. Hubby was a big fan of his and was like Joe Walsh with the Eagles?! Unbelievable! But it worked and we loved it! We were concerned with Randy leaving and Tim joining and also Bernie's exit, but every new album just reinforced that they were still the Eagles and still just as good! Then they broke up! We were devestated! How could they? But by this time we had our daughter and then a son and life went on. We were too busy with kids, jobs, and life to worry about it, but kept playing their albums and talked about how great they were. We really didn't pay much attention to their solo careers. We heard them on the radio, but didn't think they were nearly as good solo as they were together and didn't even buy any of their records! Their solo music was just not the Eagles music! We also didn't have access to MTV. I completely missed all the early videos! It was so great to get to see those, finally, in just the last 5 years! Look what we missed!

Scroll down to 1994. My brother lived nearby and called us one night to come over and watch the Eagles on MTV! They were back together! VCR's were new to us as well and we tried to tape that show, but of course, it didn't work! We didn't even know that they went on tour then. No internet or way to find out! Of course, with 2 teenagers, we couldn't have afforded to go to a concert anyway! Geez, Mom, WE want to go to a concert if anyone gets to go.

Stay tuned for part 2!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Brooke, great account of your first encounters with the Eagles. I'm looking forward to the next episode!

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

I didn't find Part 3 disappointing either, FP. I love all these multi-parters, in fact, lol. Looking forward to Part 2 of yours, Brooke! I love the fact that you listened to the Eagles while decorating for your prom, and are still married to that same guy. Impressive!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke
    In the spring of 73 my boyfriend brought the Eagles first album to school so we could listen to it while we were decorating the gym for prom. (Did anyone else do that back then? I know, I'm old!)
    Brooke, yes, we did decorate the gym for the prom. I'm old, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke
    Don, ugh, that voice just made me melt, but then Glenn's was sooooooo sweet. How does a girl decide?! I'm pretty sure it's a good thing I lived in the Midwest and had no access or money to go to concerts all the time. Much as I love my hubby and all, I might have become a groupie! Really!
    No kidding - in fact, I may still do it yet.
    Oh crap, that's right, the guys don't have a groupie following anymore, do they!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016