Page 32 of 39 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: How did you become a fan of the Eagles/a specific Eagle?

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: How did you become a fan of the Eagles/a specific Eagle?

I've stated it on the board before, but not in this thread. I knew Glenn was in the Eagles, of course, and if you read back to how I became a fan of his in particular, you'll see that it was from seeing picture. What I didn't mention here is that it was a conversation about NKIT that had a classmate bring in the photo from a previous article, I think from On The Border timeframe. I loved the Eagles, but one look at Glenn, and realizing he was incredible hunk who sang my beloved NKIT meant the others faded into the back of my mind (except for Joe as I was a fan of his before he joined). Which explained how I missed Don being a member!

The Long Run was the first album I ever bought, and my brother, sister, and I played it through at least three times every day after school/work.

In 1982, I learned that the Eagles had split, and I'd heard it was Glenn that split them. I was so mad at him for a while. A long while. My husband bought me the LP for No Fun Aloud and it was nearly two years before I took it out of the shrink wrap, I was that upset. Ah, the drama of early-adulthood!

Then, Glenn made a guest appearance on Miami Vice, my favorite show at the time. All was TOTALLY forgiven where Glenn was concerned! My husband recorded it on VHS, and would put it on to watch whenever he wanted to 'get me in the mood', which is a bit ridiculous because at that age, I was always in the mood. Still, I didn't mind a bit.

I did lose track of the Eagles when HFO came out. I've mentioned several times that I thought I had tickets to the show and found out the guy I thought I was going to the show with was taking someone else. For a time, just the mention of the Eagles or HFO made my physically ill at the remembrance. I got over that relatively quickly, but I was listening to country and the Eagles didn't have a website.

For the FW1 tour, I was traveling nearly every week and so I couldn't justify getting tickets. They did two shows in DC, then another later, and I tried to get tickets for the third show, but couldn't get good seats. When the special aired on NBC, I was hesitant to watch it. I'd recently watched concert footage of other favorite bands, and they'd been out of tune and looking older than their years. I didn't want to see my beloved Eagles, and especially the incredible hunk Glenn that way. Still, I turned it on halfway through the opening song (The Long Run) and was totally blown away. Not even 30 seconds in, my mouth had dropped open in pure astonishment. They were absolutely perfect and looked more amazing than anyone had a right to look. And Glenn... Wow. It was like being 14 years old all over again, and having my knees go weak over a man for the first time. I have to say, even after seeing them live all these times, I feel the same way every time they take the stage, and yes, my knees still go weak...
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border

It was April 2013 and, for some reason, I was watching The One Show. It may be on every weekday but I only see it a couple of times a year. This time the guests were a couple of old blokes that they described as “The Eagles”. How could that be? I wasn’t that impressed by Glenn’s neat appearance and Joe’s slow speech. However, I did get the message that they had a new documentary and thought I might rent it sometime. A couple of months later I saw “History of the Eagles”, part 1 and part 2 and also “In Concert” in the tv listings and remembered to schedule them all to record before I went away for the weekend. When I got home, I thought I’d watch an hour before going to bed but you know how it goes.

I’m not a romantic and I’m quite interested in business. I like to know how things work. It’s not just about the money – you get to know the different jobs that people do and how they fit together. You realise that being able to sing in front of 20,000 people is only the tip of the iceberg: underneath there are hundreds of people who make it work and others doing their best to sink it. I wasn’t too worried about who was a nice guy and as an observer, I’ve always enjoyed a little ruthlessness. As a teenager, I was fascinated by Cesar Borgia, the model for Machiavelli’s Prince (and this was long before Francois Arnaud). We may all love a bad boy, but I like mine clever and devious.

I started to view without a favourite but by the end of part one, I was quite taken with Glenn. I thought he was engaging, I liked his story telling and I was amused by his bravado in the 70s footage. I read the reviews and message board at imdb and it was quite a shock to discover that many people seemed to feel otherwise. Even after part two, I couldn’t understand the fuss. For me, it seemed clear that Glenn was a key component in the band’s success. He’s there in every significant decision, every hiring and every firing.

Of course, I’ve followed this up by buying lots of CDs, a few DVDs and I opened that shrink-wrapped LROOE. What surprised me about that was I found that this time round, I liked Glenn’s voice best. I think it’s that when I was young, I liked the husky sexy voice of Don Henley whereas now I prefer a little smooth seduction. It’s a voice that can relax me.
    I’ve read the books, interviews and articles and Glenn is now firmly established as my flawed hero. He intrigues me. One of the reasons I found my way here and stayed is that it’s one of the few places where it’s safe to admit that. I don’t get all hot and bothered by the sixty-something man and I find his occasional resemblance to Herman Munster a bit disturbing, but he was pretty hot when he was younger.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

UTW, I'm glad I wasn't the only one who looked at Glenn's role in the Eagles from a business and managerial perspective. I've often wondered about those who so solidly disagree with his reasoning on a few things and wonder what kind of employees they are and what their bosses think of them... I imagine some are great employees and just disagree with Glenn for sentimental or objective reasons. Others, I think, disagree with him because they know they'd come out on the wrong side of him as well.

As for Fred Gwynne, yes, they both have deep-set eyes, a strong nose, and a rounded, prominent chin. I believe Fred was considered a rather good looking man back in his day.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I just went and watched The Munsters opening theme on youtube to compare Glenn and Fred Gwynne. I definitely see some similarities between them. I admit that I laughed when I read your comparison, UTW. I think that for his age, Glenn looks great! (That's probably an understatement)
    However, being the age that I am, I prefer younger Glenn as well (especially the years 1979-1995)

In a way, I see Glenn as a role model for myself. I need some of his "take no bullcrap" demeanor. I admire how he can be blunt, but also kind. (Steel and sugar). He's been able to keep the band together and he takes the blame (or is given the blame) for the problems that plagued the band over the years. He doesn't suffer fools lightly. He put the band before himself. He doesn't hide and make excuses or blame others for his faults or the "bad" things he did in the best. He's brutally honest.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

I just remember Bernie leaving and I was ok with that because I dug Felder's guitar. But would sorely miss Bernie's banjo licks. Then Randy left and I died. Although I had seen Timmy in concert, Randy was a bass God to me, back then of course. I lost contact with their music until Don Henley recorded Boys of Summer and I fell in love with that tune. Such memories I have of finally being a free person for once in my life and living smack dab in the mountains in MT.Heaven.... Of course I loved Glenn on Miami Vice and dug smugglers blues, so I'd periodically listen to my old Eagles music. Then of course when they got back together years later I was married and my husband and I watched them together and I was alive again. But the big comeback was HOTE I love rock history and this band was always so mysterious in everything they did. I had to know, I had to dig up absolutely everything I could find on them from beginning to now. Needless to say I'm hooked big time still. And since HOTE I got into all of Randy's, Don's and Glenn's music. Always dug Joe's RMW since it was first played on the radio. I think my dream job would to be a dj at a radio station just to be able to listen to new music and play it for people for the first time, how exciting. P.S. My husband thinks I'm crazy but music makes me alive. His quote is when we get into my car "Now everyone I want you to know, this is a strictly Eagles music car"

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

Out on the Border

I knew who the Eagles were and I would here some of their hits on classic rock stations and I enjoyed those songs, but I didn't think much of it then my friend had me listen to Desperado and I was like wow and he loaned me their greatest hits album and I've been a fan ever since.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

I always loved the Eagles music but didn't follow them closely as a band. Then I saw History of the Eagles about 9 months ago and saw this perfect face:

I haven't been quite right since then.

NMB, that's just downright sweet. And I think that documentary was an eye-opener for a lot of people.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Love these stories, everyone. Keep 'em comin'!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I'm a newbie. I was born the same year the Eagles broke up. I was 5 months old. I was about to turn 6 months 3 days later. I had heard of Don and Glenn back in the 80s, but didn't know they were in a group. Heck I don't think I knew their names, just their faces. I actually didn't like Don or Glenn back then. I remembered The Heat Is On from Beverly Hills Cop, but I don't remember seeing Glenn on Miami Vice even though I grew up watching that show.

Fast forward to 1994. In 1994, I started to branch out and started listening to other genres. My favorite genre was country. My mother didn't approve of me listening to (excuse me for saying this), white people's music. I was only allowed to listen to rap and R&B.

So sometime either in 1994 or 1995 (I can't remembered), I remembered watching HFO. I kinda fell in love with their music, but wasn't a fan yet. When I first heard their were two Dons in the group. I was like which one is Henley and which one is Felder. You have to remembered I didn't know their names. I did started to like Don when I first saw them on tv.

So years gone by and I was still a closet Eagles fan. I did have some of their songs on my mp3 player (maybe between 10 to 15 songs that I've heard on the radio), but still wasn't a fan. It wasn't until 2013. I was flipping through the channels or reading the Uverse guide and saw HOTE was on Showtime. I didn't sit down and watched it at that moment. All I knew it was coming on every single day. Every time I was looking at the guide on my Uverse, it was on. So one day I finally sat down and watched it. I was so memorize by the documentary. I think I slowly started to like the Eagles. My love for Don was coming back to the surface. He became my favorite. Oh how I love those baby blue eyes.

When I first watched it, I was not impress with Glenn. I didn't like what he did to Don F, but as I continued to watch HOTE over and over again, I started to like Glenn. Its funny that I always thought Don was the boss of the group. Not Glenn. I understood why Glenn did what he did and I thought it was a good decision because the guys probably wouldn't be together today if they had continued.

I also learned about Bernie and Randy. I didn't know who they were. I remembered seeing them at the RRHOF. I was like who are these guys. I didn't even know that was Randy singing TITTL. I always thought it was Timothy. I don't know why I couldn't tell them apart, but back then I didn't know who was who. I remembered Bernie in the band Run C&W. I had heard of the band, but I didn't know he was in the band.

Today. They are my favorite band. I had knocked the Osmonds to no. 2. I always go through this phase of having a favorite singer or group and listen to nonstop. My favorite now is the Eagles. This phase has gone on for 2 years now. I still watch HOTE every single day and I still haven't gotten tired of watching it yet.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 08-20-2015 at 05:15 PM.