Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Eagles - MGM Grand, Las Vegas - November 5, 2011

Default Re: Eagles - MGM Grand, Las Vegas - November 5, 2011

Am I the only voice of logic here?

17 hours is way too long for one person to drive. I would worry about your safety. There are going to be plenty of chances to see them next year too.....

Well, if you go please be careful!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Pm, I was thinking the same thing, but wasn't going to say anything. Then you did!

Soda, this is crazy, but if you go, please be careful.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I don't want her to succumb to peer pressure if it's not safe.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

I think the most crucial part of Soda's 'dilemma' is
    I don't have a ticket
    Yes, it would be a rare achievement to see shows by the four solo Eagles plus a full Eagles show in one year, but as you haven't as yet got a ticket for Vegas there's no guarantee that it's going to be possible.

Then, there's the driving problem.

I know US roads are way different to UK ones, but even with rest breaks (and a crafty 15 minutes cat nap) I find that my 'concentration limit' is seriously waning after 9 hours. So to think of driving for 17 hours is insane.
    The UK has rules restricting the hours of work for 'professional drivers' (e.g.truckers), and there are similar ones in the US. From what I can see, in the US the hours are limited to a maximum of 11 hours driving per working day.
    Those rules are there for a very good reason, Soda.
    (And don't forget it not just the drive back, it's the accumulative effect of the drive to Vegas as well.)

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I understand where you all are coming from on the safety issue but I also think she knows when she needs to pull over and take a break. It's not her first rodeo! I would never attempt it but I'm not use to the driving that Soda has been known to accomplish on these jaunts. She'll make the right decision, I have all the faith in the world in our Soda!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

I know you guys will have a great time. Can't wait to hear all about it!

Good luck, Nancy, if you decide to go. I'm hoping you get a ticket on the night, as it may be a good omen for me on the 19th!

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Nancy, could you not drive part way & then fly the rest? I know internal flights can be expensive though. Is there no-one who would go with you & share the driving?
    Whatever you decide to do, take care.
    Steph

Stuck on the Border

I will echo the voice of reason & state that Soda, you should wait until next year, when there might be a revised setlist, and also don't forget there may be a solo tour by Glenn. I really don't think you should push yourself for this.

But of course, if you do go, good luck & take care of yourself.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well, I'll just start off by saying that it's good to be back. I just got home from Colorado last night after visiting my niece and the weather out there is NOT pretty. The reason I bring this up in this thread is because Soda would be driving through that state and some very mountainous snowy terrain. They had a blizzard come in on Tuesday night. My niece lives in Colorado Springs which is about 1 1/2 hour drive south of Denver. My flight was scheduled to leave yesterday (Wednesday) afternoon out of Denver so I decided after checking the internet and local news stations that it would be best if I drove back to Denver on Tuesday night and get a hotel close to the airport. Since the storm was moving north to south that would make my drive to the airport on Wednesday morning a lot easier. I tracked the time the storm was supposed to hit Denver and left an hour before that. Well, let me tell you the storm trackers sure got the time wrong. I got about 1/2 of the way there an ran into a snow storm like I've never seen before - I don't think my visibility was more than 5 - 7 feet and I soon lost sight of the road completely. I have done a lot of driving myself, and am usually very comfortable and unafraid. But that's when I can actually SEE the road. I actually got so scared that I turned around and drove back to Colorado Springs. Yes - the drive to Denver the next morning was a huge treacherous pain, but, at least, it was safer than the night before. I totally agree that a 17 hour drive is too long for anyone traveling alone, especially when weather conditions this time of year are so unsafe and unpredictable.

Nancy - if you decide to make the trip, please be very careful.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

For once in my life, I did the sensible thing and stayed home. I'm not very happy about it either. I'm sipping a glass of wine and feeling depressed right now.

Maybe I'll go on the 19th...

Anyway, those of you going have a wonderful time! I can't wait to hear all about it!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten