Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Another new Eagles book: "Taking It to the Limit" by Fong-Torres

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: Another new Eagles book: "Taking It to the Limit" by Fong-Torres

Get going Austin!! I'll be way ahead of you----well, if I ever get the time to read any of them.

Got mine yesterday, just flipping through it right after I received it and noticed on page 32, above a picture of Timothy with Poco, it says, "Below: Poco. This incarnation included Timothy B. Schmit but Bernie Leadon was in the original lineup." Really? Bernie/Randy--they're interchangeable.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I ordered mine Sunday evening and paid for standard shipping. The mailman just brought it to my door! I have to say, I like the pics. I've seen most of them before, but these are enlarged without being blurry. Unfortunately, the one on page 133 was cropped too much on the left side....

I'm looking forward to reading it.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    Got mine yesterday, just flipping through it right after I received it and noticed on page 32, above a picture of Timothy with Poco, it says, "Below: Poco. This incarnation included Timothy B. Schmit but Bernie Leadon was in the original lineup." Really? Bernie/Randy--they're interchangeable.
    This guy must not like Randy. First he attributes the vocals of Randy's signature song, Take It to the Limit, to Timothy - then he substitutes Bernie for Randy in Poco. Ouch! Dude needs to be schooled on Mr. Meisner!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border AzEaglesFan's Avatar

UPS just delivered my books. I didn't know that the Fleetwood Mac book was a very large coffeetable size like the one Eagles book. No reading this in bed. Even the Eagles book is larger than some but I'm glad because the pictures are better in it like VA said in her post.

woo-hoo...just got an email from Amazon saying my book has been shipped...

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I'm anxious to hear more about what some of you think of the book when you finish reading it. I'll probably be ordering mine in about a week.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Dreamer, it's big on pictures and not a lot of content, which makes it a great coffee table book. There are some annoying inaccuracies as noted above. In some ways this is a 180 from the Eliot book, it's presented very much as Glenn's band when it is presented as 'anyone's', and gives him a lot more credit without taking away from Don.

It focuses more on the good than the bad, which was nice. Don's Incident is presented more favorably than any version I've read before, and while it mentions the 3E parties, it doesn't give a lot of details or put a lot of focus on them.

I think, after reading Felder's book and re-reading Eliot's book, anything would have been such an improvement that I liked it for that reason alone.
    VK

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks for the info, VAisFEL. I am looking forward to getting it even though I had hoped for a few new stories since the author had a little bit of an 'inside track' to the band back in the day.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

The author does go into the softball game with more detail! As a sports-oriented person, I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Still, it was his contact with various members later (around FWI) that really added credibility, IMO.
    VK

Stuck on the Border

I just received my copy. The photos are beautiful (there is a double page one of Glenn during the Allnighter period which is particularly nice). I do recognise a lot of the stories from previous books/articles. From what I can work out it seems very even-handed.

ETA: Having started reading, Tim is described in the 'my encounters with the Eagles' chapter as the one who sings the high notes in TITTL. This is not the same as saying he sings or ever did sing lead on the song. At least that is how I interpret it.

ETA2: It isn't very well worded because it says he hits the high notes on TITTL & ICTYW, which could be interpreted as him singing lead on both songs, or neither of them. I agree it's confusing.

Glenn is described as 'the piston from Detroit' as opposed to the Lion or Tiger, I guess. The phrase has stuck in my head & I don't know why it never occurred to me before.
    Last edited by Freypower; 10-09-2011 at 10:57 PM.