Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Another new Eagles book: "Taking It to the Limit" by Fong-Torres

Default Re: Another new Eagles book: "Taking It to the Limit" by Fong-Torres

Quote Originally Posted by Annabel View Post
    Yep there is. I'm looking at mine right now. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eagles-Ben-F...5843985&sr=1-1

This might help you to find it.
    ...ah phew...I've already ordered it..thanks...

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Received notice over the weekend that it is being prepared for shipping!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Yeah, me too!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Still only half way through mine. Just don't seem to find the time to sit and read it atm.
    Melanie

Is it any good so far, Annabel?
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

Just got this today and read it in one sitting. That's wasn't because it was so riveting; it's actually rather short and it only took me about three hours (admittedly, I'm a pretty fast reader).

There is nothing new - the author pretty much cherry-picked material from other Eagles books and put it together here. I thought the best part was his relating of his own personal experience with the band, which opens the book - and is also pretty much the only original part.

I do like how he uses a lot of direct quotes from the band members he has culled from past interviews they have done, and thanks "various Eagles sites" in the back (because there's so many of us lol). I don't like that he doesn't always specifically attribute what sources he got those quotes from.

The photos are nice and big but there are only a couple I haven't seen before. Most of them can be found on Getty Images.

However, Fong-Torres has a nice writing and style and it's a pleasant enough read. For those of us who eat up everything Eagles, it's alright. There were some inaccuracies and factual errors (such as calling Timothy the voice of "Take It to the Limit") but they were only occasional rather than plaguing the book at every turn. A decent effort.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Just got this today and read it in one sitting. That's wasn't because it was so riveting; it's actually rather short and it only took me about three hours (admittedly, I'm a pretty fast reader).

There is nothing new - the author pretty much cherry-picked material from other Eagles books and put it together here. I thought the best part was his relating of his own personal experience with the band, which opens the book - and is also pretty much the only original part.

I do like how he uses a lot of direct quotes from the band members he has culled from past interviews they have done, and thanks "various Eagles sites" in the back (because there's so many of us lol). The photos are nice and big but there are only a couple I haven't seen before. Most of them can be found on Getty Images.

However, Fong-Torres has a nice writing and style and it's a pleasant enough read. For those of us who eat up everything Eagles, it's alright. There were some inaccuracies and factual errors (such as calling Timothy the voice of "Take It to the Limit") but they were only occasional rather than plaguing the book at every turn. A decent effort.
    That is a fairly major error, and I can think of a couple of Borderers who won't be impressed with that.

Oh, I wasn't impressed with it either. Hardly! However, it's the exception, not the rule.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    There were some inaccuracies and factual errors (such as calling Timothy the voice of "Take It to the Limit") but they were only occasional rather than plaguing the book at every turn. A decent effort.
    I know it may sound petty, but that is one of the reasons I seriously do not read these books about the Eagles. To me that is unforgiving. If you are writing a book about the Eagles, then research it and get your d*mn facts straight!! PERIOD! That's a pretty easy one to figure out and get right. JMO.

I really think the only way I will ever read a book about the Eagles all the way through instead of just scanning and reading bits and pieces, will be the day an Eagle/or Eagles, write one themselves!! Waiting patiently.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Soda, how did you get your book so soon? I have pre-ordered it on Amazon and got notice that it was shipped last night.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten