Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Another new Eagles book: "Taking It to the Limit" by Fong-Torres

Default Re: Another new Eagles book: "Taking It to the Limit" by Fong-Torres

I signed up for a free trial of "Amazon Prime" shipping. Now I just have to remember to quit the trial before they charge me!

As for the mistake - yes, it made me cringe, but if you're looking for perfection you're not going to find it. Even Felder's had many inaccuracies, as has been noted elsewhere!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Just got this today and read it in one sitting. That's wasn't because it was so riveting; it's actually rather short and it only took me about three hours (admittedly, I'm a pretty fast reader).

There is nothing new - the author pretty much cherry-picked material from other Eagles books and put it together here. I thought the best part was his relating of his own personal experience with the band, which opens the book - and is also pretty much the only original part.

I do like how he uses a lot of direct quotes from the band members he has culled from past interviews they have done, and thanks "various Eagles sites" in the back (because there's so many of us lol). I don't like that he doesn't always specifically attribute what sources he got those quotes from.

The photos are nice and big but there are only a couple I haven't seen before. Most of them can be found on Getty Images.

However, Fong-Torres has a nice writing and style and it's a pleasant enough read. For those of us who eat up everything Eagles, it's alright. There were some inaccuracies and factual errors (such as calling Timothy the voice of "Take It to the Limit") but they were only occasional rather than plaguing the book at every turn. A decent effort.
    I'm with you Soda, which is why I am still ploughing through it.
    Melanie

Got it today. Nice book, looking forward to reading it.
    So if you see me walking all alone, don't look back. I'm just on my way back home.

Stuck on the Border AzEaglesFan's Avatar

No fair, why is everyone else getting their book before I get mine??????

Quote Originally Posted by AzEaglesFan View Post
    No fair, why is everyone else getting their book before I get mine??????
    Mine won't be shipped until Oct 11

Stuck on the Border AzEaglesFan's Avatar

I did get an e-mail from Amazon telling me that my Eagles book and the Fleetwood Mac book I ordered had been shipped. I guess my mailman isn't finished reading them yet. lol

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Shirley!

I actually decided to wait since I'm too busy right now to read it anyway. I figure I may be able to get it cheaper on Amazon if I wait until the pre-order is over. It's not even October 11th yet and I'm already seeing some lower prices, but I think the price will drop even lower after that.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I got mine yesterday, too. It is a nice looking book and I'm glad I got it. I've looked through a bit and can't wait to start reading when I have more time!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Still waiting also. It is being shipped with my Jagger book in the same pkg and the FM book has also been shipped. Not that I have time to read any of them, but just the same, can't wait to get them in my hands.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Looks like I need to be placing my Amazon order. I was going to preorder but decided to wait until I heard some reviews. I also need to get the books TBF has mentioned.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."