Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Don's Drums

Hi DWD and welcome to the Border! Thanks for all your knowledge about Don's drums. I'm always fascinated by the instruments and kit the guys use. I'm so glad you enjoyed the concert, and that so many young people are getting into the Eagles' music. We have several younger members here, so we span several decades. My two sons are just a little older than you!

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Out on the Border

yeah after listening to the radio for a while Anything by The Eagles is Really refreshing

Welcome DWDrummer!!!! Enjoy!
    Let somebody love you, before it's too late..

Out on the Border

Also, from the very beginning up until 1980 don played with "Concert Toms" standard toms, only shallower with only the batter head. The particular set he used didn't even have hardware for mounting the resonate head. The best example of the way they sound right of the top of my head would be right after the "but you just can't kill the beast" line in hotel California, the concert toms make more of a "barking" noise than a standard tom with both batter and resonate heads

Travis

Out on the Border

Well while roaming through pictures today on the inter net i noticed that during most if not all of the long run era, Don Henley actually had 2 separate drum sets on stage. The smaller, less complex white TAMA drums can be seen in a picture posted on this topic by Glenneaglesfan. In the corner of the photo i also noticed the edge of the larger red-ish Ludwig drums. the 2 drumsets can be seen also in this photo "https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/images/liveinsert2bdetail.jpg" with the large ludwig set behind Don Felder, Tim, and Glenn and the small white TAMA set is directly behind Joe. Also in this photo "https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/images/eaglesHerring.jpg" Don is playing on the large Ludwig set (just thought i'd add that i think this might be while playing The Sad Cafe', seeing the saxophone) and then you can faintly see the white set behind Joe. I thought it was interesting but i have no idea what he used the white ones for as i have never seen a picture of him playing on them live.

Travis

Drummer, do you play in a band ?
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Out on the Border

No, after i become more experienced with drums id like too but right now im about to graduate high school then college so theres not much time to practice

Stuck on the Border

While this topic is going, I think it's a shame that we don't know on which songs Don plays drums on the new album. He is credited with drums & percussion, but where? I also think it is a shame that he is not playing drums on ANY new song when they perform live. He plays percussion on a couple of new songs. The only time he has been seen playing drums on a recent song since the reunion is in the video for Hole In The World.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I agree Fp. I hate to think that he's just getting too old, but it almost makes you think that. Or there's some other physical reason. I know there have been comments made about his back problems, so I can only believe that therein lies the problem. Surely it's not just plain old laziness. That just wouldn't be tolerated.

I think, and someone alluded to this a while back, that this album was made a lot by "long distance". There weren't many, if any, actual "band" sessions, so, they are keeping it vague on who actually does what.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Default Re: Don's Drums

Thanks for the interesting facts, DWDrummer.

I hate to think of Don as someone who is too old and infirm to drum on more than a couple songs. He can be so fresh and energetic onstage. Still, I guess it's possible.

I've long suspected the uncharacteristic lack of individual song credits on LROOE suggests that there is something to hide, so to speak. While there's nothing wrong with using session musicians, when they begin to take over the majority of instrumentation, it makes the band as a unit look bad.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten