Thread: Bluegrass vs. Folk

Default Bluegrass vs. Folk

I've been pondering this all day (don't ask why lol), and it's driving me insane! Can anyone tell me what the difference is between bluegrass music and folk music (if there even is a difference)?

Default Re: Bluegrass vs. Folk

I'm not sure I can really describe it in detail to be honest EF!

But I do know that I dislike pretty much all bluegrass. I do however like some folk music. To me bluegrass incorporates Mandolin, Banjo, etc where as my favorite folk music is mainly 6-string and 12-string acoustic guitars with the occasional violin or something.
    Last edited by WalshFan88; 06-20-2011 at 04:50 PM.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

It's funny that you have brought up this subject. A couple friends & I were having a discussion on Saturday about Bluegrass vs. country music. We are all very big rock fans and really dislike country with a passion yet we all agreed that we enjoy bluegrass music a bit. One of the guys brought up the point that bluegrass seems genuine where today's country seems to be done, a lot of the time, by people with fake accents and pretending to be cowboys. (Sorry if that offends any country fans out there).

And to be honest, I think folk is a whole different genre all together from country or bluegrass. But yet I can't actually tell you exactly what any of them are for certain.

That didn't help you at all, did it?
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Too bad MikeA isn't around. He'd love this thread, I'll bet, and he'd probably be able to help us out!

In my narrow understanding, bluegrass is what Austin described, with banjos and mandolins and such. Folk music is Gordon Lightfoot and Cat Stevens to name a couple of examples. Folk music was Peter Paul and Mary back in the day. And just like any other music genre, some folk I love and some folk not so much.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I would agree with Pm's description. Ricky Skaggs is an example of bluegrass music.

I like some folk music, but not much bluegrass.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    One of the guys brought up the point that bluegrass seems genuine where today's country seems to be done, a lot of the time, by people with fake accents and pretending to be cowboys. (Sorry if that offends any country fans out there).
    I very much agree with him on this. I'm not a Country fan, but I love Southern Rock.

I don't know, but I guess I'd say that Bluegrass is a faster-paced kind of music. But whenever I hear the word "folk" I think of the movie A Mighty Wind

Thanks for the replies!

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    It's funny that you have brought up this subject. A couple friends & I were having a discussion on Saturday about Bluegrass vs. country music. We are all very big rock fans and really dislike country with a passion yet we all agreed that we enjoy bluegrass music a bit. One of the guys brought up the point that bluegrass seems genuine where today's country seems to be done, a lot of the time, by people with fake accents and pretending to be cowboys. (Sorry if that offends any country fans out there).

And to be honest, I think folk is a whole different genre all together from country or bluegrass. But yet I can't actually tell you exactly what any of them are for certain.

That didn't help you at all, did it?
    ..to me...today's Bluegrass is yesterday's country...does that make sense?...it sounds like what country used to sound like...not like this "pop country" we have now, which I despise..lol

Stuck on the Border Outlawman13's Avatar

To be very honest, I love folk music and old country. The country now a days isn't good at all (except for Keith Urban and Dierks Bentley) LOL when I listen to new country I say uhhhgggg. Hurts my ears. Bluegrass isn't really my thing. Most of the time, I just listen to rock-a-billy (Southern Rock). LOL.

You came along and changed my life Glenn!!