Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Shortened Setlists Here to Stay?

Default Re: Shortened Setlists Here to Stay?

Quote Originally Posted by Henley Honey View Post
    I don't think you can put a price on what the Eagles' songs have done for and meant to Austin and so many other people. Thanks for sharing that with us, Austin. I'm glad they were able to do that for you. They are the literal soundtrack for millions of people's lives and while they are musicians, lyricists, composers and artists, the band at its core is a business. It's what they do for a living. They have a finite amount of time to tour and the ticket prices are going to reflect that. Simple supply and demand. Doesn't make it right. Doesn't make it fair. But its business.
    Thanks! Their music means a lot to me.

And I'm fine with the ticket prices. That isn't the issue for me. I'd gladly pay their prices but only if it were a full show like what I'm used to (3 hr full set). The issue is paying the money for such a small set.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    They have dropped EVERY SONG from it except for How Long and the title track. I thought that would make you happy. For me, I am deeply disappointed that they have just apparently discarded those songs. I still think they never gave Somebody in particular a chance to become the crowd pleaser that it could have. I am also disappointed that they never tried playing some of the other songs live.
    I completely agree that Somebody could have been a hit. That song ROCKS!! I hadn't even really paid attention to it till I saw it live the first time and it was quite the eye opener!

As for all the songs except How Long and LROOE being dropped....I agree that it's to much. However, I don't want them to play all of them but I would rather see LROOE dropped and replaced by NMCD & WITW and, since it's short, NMWITW. I really miss WITW & NMWITW. I can actually do without IDWTHA and GOTC.

But I also understand they have to play the hits so I see why they must drop LROOE songs.

I guess my biggest complaint isn't so much the setlist, tho I do believe it should be mixed and changed now and then. Obviously when you have that many hits, you can't play them all in one concert. (Tho wouldn't that be awesome?)

My 2 complaints about the concerts at this point:
    1) To much $$-ESPECIALLY for a shortened setlist.
    2) To many and unevenly disbursed solo songs-ESPECIALLY for a shortened setlist.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

I don't know if the shortened setlist is here to stay or not. I'm not even sure what I wish for. Selfishly we all want them to play 3+ hours every time, but I think they've made it clear that they can't do that anymore. Last summer they tried touring with Keith Urban and the Dixie Chicks as a means to shorten their shows. This summer they're choosing mostly outdoor venues and festivals to keep it short. Either way they are going to have disappointed fans, but I guess in the long run I have to wish for whatever is going to keep them healthy and being able to do shows at all.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

I agree, Cathy. And you know what? A 20-song set list is not actually a short set list! I was looking at other set lists and Metallica played 18 songs recently, Bon Jovi played 17... I think we have just been spoilt with these three and a half hour shows!

As I said in my earlier post, though, I do think charging the same price for a shorter set list is rather unfair. Their justification for the high prices was that they were playing for so long. Now they are not, it's a bit harder to justify the cost of tickets.

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I agree too. Shorter set list, lower price. I'm hoping these shorter sets are temporary. Hopefully they will take it up a notch or two for a 40th anniversary tour next year.

I checked Keith Urban's prices. The best seats are $111.75 including fees. The last set list I could find was 20 songs. He does do a platinum seats deal which are $149. His shows last 2 hours.

Kenny Chesney's tickets are about the same.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border tequila girl's Avatar

With all due respect Brooke...Keith Urban & Kenny Chesney are virtually (to me anyway) unknown in the UK and certainly haven't been around as long as the Eagles...No comparison
    ~Carole~

There is no more new frontier - we have got to make it here

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Well, that's true, but they are hot here in the US.

I was just trying to come up with some kind of comparison. Who would compare?
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Nobody compares!!!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

The sad truth is that it's not just the Eagles charging this much. Just about any act that can charge this much will. I'm sure there are a few exceptions but I can't think of any off the top of my head. I hate to say it, but it's very likely that if people like Keith Urban could charge more and still sell tickets, they would.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I don't know of any other act doing 3hour+ shows... so it's kind of hard to compare prices.

I will keep my fingers crossed for great shows next year. Until I hear otherwise!!
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne