Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Best Concerts of the Eagles

Well, the set list has certainly changed over the years, but I think that is a good thing. The Farewell 1 set list includes some new songs as well as old favourite classics. HFO was a more experimental set list - look at the acoustic version of Hotel California for instance, and the use of the orchestra on New York Minute. That for me is one of the great attractions of the Eagles, that they can reproduce the sounds of their biggest hits live, but are also prepared to include less well known tracks, particularly ones from their solo albums. I expect they have also had to tailor the selection of songs as their voices have changed. I wish I could hear them do Seven Bridges Road live once more, though!

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Marcox
    My Favorite song is Pretty Maids All In A Row. Well, the eagles perform the album version on the last shows in 1980:
    in Santa Monica and Long Beach.
    Then They perform this song on the MTV HFO, and for the HFO tour and the millenium concert, but then They never perform that!
    I think They perform this song only with Don Felder.
    Without Felder the concerts of the eagles are with a bad choice of songs and without good songs!!.
    This is your opinion and you are entitled to it. But to say that all their songs are 'bad' without Felder is with respect, something of an exaggeration. A lot of the songs are the same, for instance New Kid In Town, Life In The Fast Lane, Desperado, etc. Therefore I can't see how the setlist can suddeny be 'without good songs' when many of them have not changed.

Quote Originally Posted by glenneaglesfan
    I wish I could hear them do Seven Bridges Road live once more, though!
    I totally agree GEF . I would love to hear them sing SBR live in concert just once!! Watching them on stage, starting off acapella must be soo powerful!!

Well, Freypower I think, A lot of acoustics songs are performed only on HFO MTV & HFO tour, for example peaceful easy feeling (MTV version),
    tequila sunrise (with mandolin), help me through the night, heart of the matter. Love Will Keep Us Alive is Felder song. Other Song of HFO are New York Minute, You Belong To The City (with the sax intro and the solo of Felder), Get Over It, The Girl From Yesterday, Already Gone (Orginal Full Version), Please Come Home For Christmas, Best Of My Love.
    The New guitar player is really "bad". I prefer Felder.
    Remember when the days were long ...

MARCO

Even as a relative newcomer to the Eagles, I have been very impressed by Steuart Smith's guitar playing, both on the F1 dvd and live (three times). Even if you prefer Felder, I think it would be better to say that in your opinion, you prefer Felder's playing, rather than saying that Steuart Smith is bad.

I don't think Please Come Home For Christmas features on the Hell Freezes Over album.

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Marcox
    Well, Freypower I think, A lot of acoustics songs are performed only on HFO MTV & HFO tour, for example peaceful easy feeling (MTV version),
    tequila sunrise (with mandolin), help me through the night, heart of the matter. Love Will Keep Us Alive is Felder song. Other Song of HFO are New York Minute, You Belong To The City (with the sax intro and the solo of Felder), Get Over It, The Girl From Yesterday, Already Gone (Orginal Full Version), Please Come Home For Christmas, Best Of My Love.
    The New guitar player is really "bad". I prefer Felder.
    The predominance of acoustic songs in HFO (the original show) was because it was meant to be an 'unplugged' show. They could not do that type of format in a regular concert, and they never did that much acoustic stuff again.

They still do You Belong To The City. Walsh does the solo. They still do Already Gone. What you mean by 'full version' I don't know. They only played PCHFC at the Milliennium shows.

I am well aware that they dropped GOI and TGFY, both of which I miss. But as for LWKUA... I can almost listen to it now that Smith plays the solo. He has really added something to it.

In some ways I preferred the HFO setlist because Don played drums more. If it were up to me, Sunset Grill & ASWTDID would go and GOI & TGFY would be back.

As GEF said, Steuart Smith is a very impressive guitarist and it is far too simplistic to say he is 'bad'.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I totally agree with FP and GEF. Marcox, I think everyone agrees that you are entitled to your opinion. It is perfectly reasonable for you to prefer Felder's playing style over Smith's or vice versa. They are different, and whose style is perferred is simply a matter of opinion. However, to say Steuart Smith is a bad guitar player is not opinion. It is a fact that he is a talented and skilled guitar player. Quite honestly, I prefer Felder, but I think Steuart does a wonderful job as well. The Eagles would not hire a "bad" guitar player to fill Felder's place.

As a side note, FP I agree that Sunset Grill could go from the setlist, but not ASWTDID. I hope that will stay, but I wouldn't be surprized if they cut it to make room for tracks off of the new album.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Out on the Border Karen Carpenter's Avatar

Default Favorite Concert?

Well, definitely "Hell Freezes Over"!! That has my favorite version of "Hotel California" on there.. so acoustic!

I also like the Holland '73 concert, too. I think that's what it is. You know, the Carpenters had a Holland concert the year after!
    "And when my life is over, remember when we were together..."

- Karen Carpenter, "A Song For You"

Stuck on the Border

Just remember that although HFO was a great show,as it was released it is not a 'concert'. It's a studio performance. If the other songs performed had been included it may have been a bit truer to the band.

Out on the Border Karen Carpenter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower
    Just remember that although HFO was a great show,as it was released it is not a 'concert'. It's a studio performance. If the other songs performed had been included it may have been a bit truer to the band.

So, are you saying the "Hell Freezes Over" CD was recorded in a studio; not live?
    "And when my life is over, remember when we were together..."

- Karen Carpenter, "A Song For You"