Page 28 of 41 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast

Thread: Randy videos on YouTube and other video sites

Banned

Default Re: Randy videos on YouTube and other video sites

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    Meisner, Rich and Swan
    April 2, 1994

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vo_4TxSkcCI
    Thank you very much for posting the link Dawn.

In 1994, I was really hoping that Randy was going to be part of the HFO stadium world tour. He looks like he's performing down our boozer.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Isn't it wonderful to see Randy so happy though - he's enjoying performing and obviously had a great rapport with the other musicians.

Thanks to collector Stephen Duncan for sharing his video. It was really special to see Randy perform "Midnight Flyer" as a mature man, also "Lonesome Cowgirl."

The club owners (Wise Guys in Pasadena) also filmed the show. The club has long since closed down, so who knows what happened to that video. Maybe it - or others - will turn up some day.

Banned

I can't really say how happy he was but it's always great to see Randy, in his element on bass and vocals on stage.

Maybe I'm biased but imho Randy was, head and shoulders, more talented than almost any of the artists he teamed up with after he left Eagles. Rick Roberts was a decent songwriter and Richard Marx is just brilliant.

I'd love the next chapter in Randy's story to be happy musical one.

I get your drift, Funk50 but I also think Randy seems relaxed and happy. This is a poor screen shot but this is the smile I love.

Who's to say what would have happened had he been part of the HFO tour? Things would have been different had he followed Joe's path.

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    Maybe I'm biased but imho Randy was, head and shoulders, more talented than almost any of the artists he teamed up with after he left Eagles. Rick Roberts was a decent songwriter and Richard Marx is just brilliant.

I'd love the next chapter in Randy's story to be happy musical one.
    I agree with you here and I'm not biased at all. Really though, James Griffin from Bread was no slouch. I do believe Randy's collaboration with Rick Roberts was not an ideal one.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

That's an interesting angle. Anyone you think would have been a better collaborator for The Meis?

Rick said in his book "Lame Brain" that Randy was in a bit of a songwriting slump at the time of the Roberts Meisner Band. I believe Rick has always written on his own. Maybe it would have been helpful for Randy to be with someone - like Felder, who knows - whom he could write with, bounce ideas off of.

P.S. Thank you for the lovely screenshot, Delilah.

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    That's an interesting angle. Anyone you think would have been a better collaborator for The Meis?

Rick said in his book "Lame Brain" that Randy was in a bit of a songwriting slump at the time of the Roberts Meisner Band. I believe Rick has always written on his own. Maybe it would have been helpful for Randy to be with someone - like Felder, who knows - whom he could write with, bounce ideas off of.

P.S. Thank you for the lovely screenshot, Delilah.

I don't who would have been a better collaborator. Felder, maybe, as you say; too bad the band with David Palmer didn't work out.

I just don't think he jibed artistically with Rick Roberts. Did they ever create anything together? I should probably read his book. I'm not slamming Mr. Roberts; he's a talented singer-songwriter. I cringe slightly though, when I watch that Nashville Now clip. "You Are the Woman" was so dated, even by then and it's not country so their presence on the show seems out of place. I sense Randy being uncomfortable but maybe that's just me. I haven't seen any other of their performances on that show, if there are any.

Plus I'm sure I read somewhere Randy saying he and Rick used to party hard-core together which affected their reputations. On a personal level it probably didn't help either of them.

I can understand Randy hitting a wall with songwriting but what about all those songs that ended up on Love Me or Leave Me Alone? I suspect many if not most of them came about in the 80s based on the sound and backing vocals.

P.S. You're welcome

There is a wonderful performance of "Take It to the Limit" from the Nashville Now program that has sadly gone missing from YouTube.

Rick Roberts says in his book - he has several - that the Roberts Meisner Band recorded about a dozen demos. They went the extra mile so to speak and expense to make sure the recording quality was excellent and they were confident and proud of the material. Much to their disappointment though, the demos didn't attract significant interest from record labels.

I'm hoping (I do a lot of that) that these recordings turn up some time. Rick has been generous with putting all his pre-Firefall solo albums on YouTube in their entirety.

That's great information, NMB. I didn't know about the demos. Even if Randy had writer's block, I'd still love to hear them. I share your hope.

Bummer that TITTL from Nashville Now isn't on YT anymore.

I'd love it if the interview portion from Nashville Now turns up too. It's said to be amusingly awkward. The host had no earthly idea who Rick and Randy were apparently.

This is a beautiful song called "Lonely Alone" that Randy recorded with Brooke Lizotte (one of his current collaborators) back in the 90s. One of Randy's finest mature vocals. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKPE...=RDvKPEtKkIG-A