Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Most "Meaningful" Concert Of My Life

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default The Most "Meaningful" Concert Of My Life

A couple of post I've read on the board this morning reminded me of a thread I've been wanting to start. The post of Lou's regarding the James Taylor concert last night and GA's post regarding the long awaited Glenn solo show she's about to attend made me think of a conversation I had several weeks ago with a friend regarding those special concerts.

We all agree that the Eagles concerts we attend are very special to us, but we've all also attended lots of other concerts. Is there one concert that sticks out more than the others. One that you thought you'd never get to see or a concert, that for some reason was more special to you because of the seats you had, or added attention given to you from the performer, etc....
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: The Most "Meaningful" Concert Of My Life

Mine was one that several other Borderers shared with me on October 18, 2009. Timothy B. Schmit in concert in Chicago. Many, many reasons why this one will always be "THE" concert that sticks out in my mind. I can't imagine a concert ever meaning as much to me as this one did. The only one close would have to be the Eric Clapton concert I attended on hubby and I's first date.

1st--- A Timothy B. Schmit SOLO concert is a very rare thing. He just doesn't do them! And this one came out of nowhere FAST!! And the fact I had been one of his biggest fans (do NOT dispute this!! ) for over 30 years and I thought I would never see him on a stage by himself. I remember waking up only about a week and a half before the actual concert to a text from Soda and an email from Julie, Timothy's assistant, telling me that they had just announced that he would be in Chicago the following week performing just 2 days before Expando was due to be released and tickets would be going on sale within a few hours. After having a minor nervous breakdown, I called hubby at work and asked if he'd mind going or should I go alone. He's not keen on me going alone so said he would, "if he had to". Phone call to Soda was next, and we worked out arrangements that would spare hubby from having to go. Within hours, tickets were purchased, at the unbelievable amount of $22.00 each and a plan had been hatched.

The day of the concert, Nancy & Cathy arrived at my home to pick me up and finish the 1 1/2 hour drive to the venue. I know I probably seemed extra quiet during that drive. My mind was going a million miles a minute and was still in disbelief that this was actually happening. That, along with the fact that the previous concert, he'd actually had fans getting autographs, photos and speaking with him, added even more anticipation. I was asked several times in that week, "what will you say to him if you get the chance to meet him?". Wasn't sure at all. But I did bring a couple of things along for him to sign, just in case.

For the couple hours prior to the show, it was wonderful meeting so many fellow Timothy/Eagles fans waiting in line. But as the time grew closer to concert time, I remember getting almost nervous about it. I knew this was a very small venue (only a couple hundred if I remember correctly) and it was going to be an intimate affair and I'd be very close up front for sure since we were only behind a few people waiting in line.

When the time came for the doors to open, I handed my ticket to the guy at the door and started into the room and headed up to the stage, hands shaking. I was going to be right at his feet to his right. I was still managing to hold it together till he started singing. I think it was the first or second song when the tears flowed a bit. I regained my composure quickly and enjoyed the whole experience immensely.

I went back and found the thread of the review, if you're interested in reading it. I just read thru the whole thing again & I have a great big smile on my face because of it. What a night!!! One I will treasure forever.

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/foru...ead.php?t=2059

And this was my review---or ramble about how much it meant to me.

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/foru...6&postcount=16
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

I went to your link and read the posts from that night. Can I tell you, I do not remember taking/posting all those photos. We all had good pics from that night. I should visit them more often!

It was lovely remembering that night. I do recall how excited/nervous you were. I had forgotten some of the details, so it was nice to go back and "relive" the show.

To answer your question about concerts, I do not have a clear cut answer. I remember certain concerts for certain moments. First concert ever, Duran Duran and the wafting of pot from everyone around us. Bon Jovi at Alpine Valley where Skid Row and Cinderella opened for them, a storm blew through and ripped off the large viewing screen for the lawn audience (scary, but cool atmospere). The frst time I ever saw N'Sync at B96-Bash and was blown away by their dancing and signing! I stood in awe of these young kids w/amazing voices. The first time I saw Aerosmith and was resmerized by Steven Tyler that I never left my seat until the show was over. (I was on my way to get a beer and go potty when he came on stage) When I saw the Eagles by myself at Sears Centre, pretty cool expierence.

I've been to so many concerts/shows (many artists, several times) that it's hard to land on one. However, I would think that the Skid Row/Cinderella/Jovi concerts would be high on my list. We were in high school and our g/f's parents let us stay w/them at their place in Wisconsin so we could go to the show. It was four of us, we were so excited to see all the bands. I recall "seat hopping" to get up close to see Eric Brittingham, because I was in love w/him. The mood was right, the time was right, everyone got along. It remains such a classic memory of my youth... thus why I hold it close to my heart. Not so much because of anything w/the bands did. As a matter of fact, my memory of most of their act has faded. Bon Jovi was the Eagles of my youth.

I think the older I get, the more I appreciate the music... so concerts mean more to me know than they did back when. So I hope the more meanful ones are still to come.
    Last edited by luvthelighthouse; 07-15-2011 at 02:17 PM. Reason: ETA: I can't recall if it was Skid Row... but I "think" it was... I cared more about BJ and Cinderella at the time. lol

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well I've had quite a few really memorable concert experiences - most of them all Eagles related shows. I have been to lots of other concerts, but honestly, none of them rank up there with my Eagles concert experiences.

However, before I get to my top choice, I have to give an honorable mention to the show at the Roxy where Glenn was playing a benefit for his son's (Deacon) production company. Glenn's set was great, albeit only about 5 songs, but, afterwards he came over to Soda, PLS, and I to chat and introduced us to his wife and son. WOW - what an honor!

But it was Glenn's shows at Niagara Falls in August, 2007, that stands out above all the others. Not only were those the best solo performances I've ever seen Glenn do, but he was so sweet to Soda, PLS, and me. He lavished such attention on us that I'll never forget them as long as I live - all topped off on the second night when he dedicated "I Love To Watch a Woman Dance" to us. I can never explain what a special feeling it was to have your rock idol dedicate a song to you. And although those shows were and probably always will be at the top, we now are going to get the chance to go back to the same venue and see Glenn perform again. I have no expectations that we will get any special attention this time, but it doesn't matter. I know the upcoming shows will be awesome and I'll always have the memories of those August, 2007 shows no matter what.

Glenn Frey - you are my hero!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

I think the most meaningful concerts of my life will be next month. Before that we are seeing Randy Newman, and that will be special, I know.

I think you all know how special it was when I first saw Glenn back in August 1988 with the Little River Band. All the Eagles shows I've been to have been special in one way or another.

Neil Young 1985 when I was front row centre was probably the best show I've ever seen in terms of the music. Fleetwood Mac 2009 was special because of the astonishing amount of attention I got from Lindsey. Paul McCartney in 1993 was special because it was McCartney (I still have hopes he will return here). Rolling Stones 1994, Bee Gees on my birthday in 1989, Page/Plant in 1995. Really none of these have anything that makes one of them stand out from the others; I enjoyed them all.

I do cherish the memory of seeing Dire Straits in 1986 during their record breaking run at the Sydney Entertainment Centre and again in 1991. The only time I have seen Mark Knopfler by himself was in 2005 and I probably wasn't as addicted to his solo work as I am now. When he was singing Sailing To Philadelphia & got to 'all Durham & Northumberland/are measured up by my own hand' a man a few rows in front triumphantly raised his fist - I gathered a Geordie like my dear hubby next to me & MK himself (although MK wasn't born in Geordieland). That was special. I went down the front while he was playing Going Home (Theme from Local Hero).

In the spring (it could have been summer) of 1977, I saw "Little Feat" with Lowell George play in a club on their "Time Loves A Hero" tour.

The "Time Loves a Hero" tour became the recording for the double live album called "Waiting for Columbus," although I don't think this little club date in Ohio made the recording schedule for the spectacular live collection of songs.

When the Eagles reunited for the "Hell Freezes Over" tour, I went to see them. They performed almost flawlessly. Everyone was overjoyed to have them return to the stage with their repertoire.
    The last time I'd even heard about an Eagles tour, I remember seeing a live poster with yellow lights and far away figures in jeans photographed during a 'seventies concert.
    Last edited by Lisa; 08-03-2011 at 07:00 PM.

My most meaningful concert beside the Eagles concert was the Genesis concert 2007!
    I'm a big fan since my childhood without Interruption , I have all the albums at least twice, some even three times.
    But unfortunately I had no chance to see a concert of them before 2007!
    At same time it was my first big concert. I was already on smaller but still never been to a concert where over 40,000 people.
    I must not mention that I could not expect the day, when it was, finally, so far, it rained the whole day and it was very cold! We arrived totally wet at the Stadium but all this did not bother me! I only was happy to see this concert! It was great, Phil Collins's voice sounded good and everyone else on stage was well too!

"For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

I have been so lucky to have gone to many memorable shows! These include seeing Stevie Nicks at AHI in 2001 and getting to meet her afterwards; seeing Fleetwood Mac at AHI in 2003 and getting to meet them afterwards; seeing Lindsey Buckingham in Chicago in 2004, the first show he had played solo in over a decade; seeing Stevie Nicks do so much material from her new album - an album I never thought she'd make - just a few months ago in Los Angeles. With regard to the Eagles - it's hard to pick a favorite but being front row at London's Wembley show in 2006 - the only time I've ever been front row at an Eagles concert - was amazing.

But the most special will have to be the Glenn Frey shows at Niagara Falls in 2007. Glenn's treatment of us was out of this world and I will never forget it.

ETA: Yes, I had to change a typo, AUSTIN! lol

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    But the most special will have to be the Green Frey shows at Niagara Falls in 2007. Glenn's treatment of us was out of this world and I will never forget it.
    Green Frey?!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Dang it, Austin, now I can't go back and fix it discreetly!

Heck, I'm gonna fix it anyway. lol

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten