Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Niagara Falls 08-24-11

Default Re: Niagara Falls 08-24-11

Welcome from me too, VA! Good to have you here.

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Welcome, VA!

Welcome from me too, VA!
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Welcome from me too VA!

and I'm sure we know our fearless leader would NEVER bring a recording device into a venue where they were barred!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Hi Everyone! I know I last visited The Border in April this year , and I'm sorry I've been so quiet, but I'm so busy these days that it's hard to keep up with everything. My full-time job, my musical career... But I haven't forgotten any of you, and I'm thinking of you.

Before I run out of time again, I'd just like to say that I've managed to read Soda's review of Glenn's second show, as well as GA's, and some comments from the rest of you, and I am so happy for all of you who were able to attend Glenn's shows over the two nights. How I wish I could have shared the incredible experience with you all. I was certainly thinking of you on those nights. How amazing to have got the acknowledgement from Glenn that you did. What a true gentlemen and artist who appreciates his fans. I salute you, Glenn Frey!!!

Take care, everyone, and especially you, Dreamer, with the awful weather you have been experiencing.

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

WOW-----Just WOW!!! I wasn't able to post all weekend but I kept checking in on my phone and reading the reviews, etc...

I am just so happy for all of you that the trip was a success for everyone, that you all got so much Glenn-tac, and that Glenn was so "on it"!!! So very cool that he acknowledged you both nights and was aware you were all there. He never seems to miss you, Nancy, and always seems to make sure you know that he knows you are there. I love that!!! What a guy!!

As for the new DVD..... OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How exciting is that news?!?!? Cannot wait for more info on that and a preorder date, etc...

So much to look forward that is Eagely... 1 more cd from Don, a cd from Joe, a cd from Glenn, a new book in October and now a DVD and a possible anniversary tour. I'm all aquiver just thinking about it all!!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I know! It's all just AWESOME!

Welcome Va! Glad you found us!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Thanks to everybody for their reviews here; Soda's review is excellent. It WAS a huge vibe. You may think if you've read my first show review that I have nothing left to add. Oh, but I do.

This time I was more in the centre (next to PLS, Soda & Dreamer) to his left; which I knew he would play to more often. I thought I might have a chance of getting some more recognition because I completely understood that the previous night he had to concentrate more.

When he came on and I saw he wasn't wearing a suit I thought 'was last night a one-off'? BUT: you all know how I also love him wearing a jacket and shirt combo with jeans? Well guess what. I even got that. The jacket was either grey or brown (he even had a badge in his lapel) & it had houndstooth trim on the cuffs. The blue & white shirt was similar to the one in my avatar. He wore black jeans. (He will have to resurrect the all black outfit now....).

The Pebble Beach dedication was so sweet! I hoped because I was next to them that he might make a connection; and indeed, when he asked who was there last night he said 'Row 3 - six women' and I was included in that. He said 'we played an eclectic setlist last night'. Could that possibly have been aimed at people who complain that he never changes his setlists?! If it was, good for him. And Some Kind Of Blue ADDED - seriously, did the man read my mind? That's all....

When he got up to do On The Way Home he was smiling because he knew that 'certain people' appeared to be expecting it. It was fantastic! Hearing him sing anything you don't know is wonderful but to hear & see it one more time; what a privilege. Of course he explained that he 'said to his bandmates' that they might do this so I even got some of his Eagles leadership stuff. Then it was You Are Not Alone.... sigh,sigh, sigh.

To be continued immediately.

Stuck on the Border

Part 2

'This Is The New Stuff' (the line from Sledgehammer seemed so appropriate).

Again he was slow to start while I was literally squirming in my seat in anticipation. He talked more about the singers who had inspired him from Nat King Cole to Tony Bennett to Dinah Washington (he said she was his favourite female singer from the era). He said the songs ranged from the 20s to the 60s so it has occurred to me that perhaps the song After Hours may not in fact be included. But an ALBUM. Then he said something about 'we appreciate your indulgence and then we'll get back to the cowboy dream crap'. How extraordinary it is to see him standing at the mic looking down at the floor without a guitar.

And this is when it happened. I had to look up the lyrics of Route 66 to make sure I got the reference right. The VERY FIRST LINE of the song is 'well, if you ever plan to motor west'. He stood & pointed down at me, right at me, and he emphasised the word 'YOU' as he pointed.

Oh man. He knew who I was. Technically I had flown east to see him but I flew to the West Coast of North America before going further east to Niagara Falls. A bit dicey, this reasoning perhaps: I have honestly spent the rest of the week trying to tell myself I could have been mistaken, but I don't think so. He sang that line to me & pointed to me, whether he knew who I was or not, and I will never forget it, particularly as he was only singing the song in public for the second time.
    It is all I have thought about since.

It went crazy after that. When he got to the 'jitterbug' part he spread his legs apart before he started dancing! Good grief! The man was born with charisma as someone once said. When he finished those of us in the now famous Row 3 gave him a standing ovation & he said 'thank you very much, I appreciate it'.

From there I sat in a daze while he sang. There was a lot more 'mic stand' stuff. First he cupped his hands around it. Then he decided to be more visible,, put his right hand on it & gripped it while he sang. It seemed the sound mix was better so he didn't have to do that 'finger on ear' stuff. At the end of The Look Of Love' he looked over to Richard & Will & conducted them to the end, very gently. He's a bandleader too, remember. He was just stunning. He can sing anything, anywhere, any time.

I got another nice moment later while he was waiting for a guitar. He gave me one of his characteristic grins with his mouth closed so I framed my fingers around his head in the shape of a heart. I think he got the message!

Soda talked about the 'Throat Tearers Anonymous' part where he said that he could sing the songs perfectly when he recorded them. So this was another wish granted; him talking about his singing. As for the sucking the lemon part, that was very funny & sweet. And we got a scream in Who's Been Sleeping In My Bed!!

At the end the most amazing thing happened. People rushed the stage. As you can imagine I positioned myself directly underneath him. It's the closest I've ever been to him in my life. I took a couple of photos but I won't be trying to load those until tomorrow. They look OK, that's all I will say.

I honestly have nothing to add at the moment; I am actually relieved to have it written down. I said it was exhilarating & emotional. It was even better than that. I can only thank him from the bottom of my heart for what he has done for me & I will always love him.
    Last edited by Freypower; 08-29-2011 at 10:31 PM.

OH WOW....HOW VERY, VERY THRILLING FOR YOU....SO HAPPY FOR YOU....