And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Default Re: Jackson Browne

Can't wait to hear all about it!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Hope you had a great time at the show, PM. I can't wait to hear all about it!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I think this was our fifth Jackson Browne show. Some of you might remember how excited I was back in 2009 when I got to see him for the first time. Honestly, we were not planning on attending another solo acoustic show, but when you can get 2nd row tickets for one of your favorite artists for $68, you go.

I did not keep track of the set list last night, and so far no one has put one up. Neither has anyone posted any videos, photos or reviews. So I can't share much, but here goes.

Jackson walked onstage wearing black pants and a gray button-down shirt. It's funny, because during dinner before the show I said to Hubby, "I hope he doesn't wear his gray shirt again." Jackson and Don Henley must take advice from the same fashion consultants. Lol! But he looks good in it. I'm always surprised when he first comes out how small-framed he is.

He began with I'll Do Anything and then Looking Into You.

Something different that he's doing this tour is he's not sitting down while playing guitar. He stands at a mic and I like that better. I can understand the informality of sitting in a chair playing for an audience, but it was refreshing to see it done this way for a change.

After the second song or so Jackson told us that in case we didn't know, he doesn't use a set list and just plays whatever he feels like playing. He then asked us if we ever look up the set lists before a show. He's on to us! But he said in his case it wouldn't do any good. He's right, too! None of his shows are ever the same, and I like that.

After about the fourth song, Jackson calmly announced that he was alarmed that his voice was not cooperating. Granted, his voice wanes occasionally, but I thought he sounded pretty good last night. And after that he did seem to sound stronger. He spoke to us often, as usual, but last night I noticed that he didn't seem to carry a thought all the way through very well. At one point he seemed to be alluding to the bad times our country is going through and that he has considered taking mind-altering drugs as a way of sticking his head in the sand (he was joking), but then he went right into how when he is sick during a show that he considers taking cold medicine but then doesn't for fear of what he'll find out that he said the next day!

During a touching moment for us, Jackson sang For A Dancer. We had this song played at Hubby's brother Chuck's funeral last November, and it now holds a special place in our heart.

At one point he started the first verse of Sky Blue and Black, then suddenly stopped and said he didn't think he would do that one. He then admitted that he had forgotten a word, and that he was afraid he wouldn't be able to get past that point in the song. But then he said, "If you really want to hear it, I'll play it for you." Of course the audience cheered him on.

As usual, there were requests. I had told Hubby that I probably wouldn't call out anything this time, but when I'm there in the excitement I can't help myself! I called out several songs - all of which he ignored for someone else's...until towards the end of the night...I spontaneously called out for Take It Easy. He immediately stopped in mid step, as he does when he hears something that changes his mind, and went for one guitar out of his arsenal. He introduced it by saying that he wrote it with Glenn Frey, and everybody cheered!

It's hard to 'rock out' at a JB solo acoustic show, but as an audience, I thought we showed Jackson a lot of love. At one point he said that there's nothing better than to go to a town, do a show and have your songs called out to you. At the end he thanked us for being a wonderful audience and making him feel welcome.

Austin was at this show too, and we were able to meet up afterwards in the lobby. It was so nice to finally meet him. He's just as nice as he is here.

That's it! Another great show from Jackson Browne! I did read on his website today that he is doing two shows in August - one in NJ and one in NY - with a band. I'm jealous of anybody who gets to go to those!
    ~ Cathy ~

Just a mini review while I have a few moments before heading out to dinner!

I got to the venue at 6:30, I went to concessions to get a drink and then headed to my seat as my back was breaking from the walk from the drop off to the theater.

He came onstage and everyone cheered. He played for a good long while and took requests and then took a 30 minute intermission and break and then came back out and played for a long while longer.

For being a rocker, I surprisingly liked this show as much as I did. I had no idea how great of a guitarist he was, I always knew he was a great singer but man he can really play - especially easy to see without a backing band.

I got to hear Doctor My Eyes which was my highlight. I looooooooooove that song... Also hearing Take It Easy was very cool. I wish I could have played lead for him on that song.

After the show I got to meet PM - who was very nice! It was so great getting to meet after being on here for so long - especially since we live so close! We were going to meet a couple years ago at Ribfest at the Joe show but my health just didn't cooperate.

Thanks PM for the kind words - you're too kind!

It was a great show and a much needed fun time!

Glad to hear you both enjoyed yourselves! It sounds like he was in a quirky mood, but in typical Jackson style, was still able to give you your money's worth. I know I loved the acoustic show I saw at the Orpheum a few years ago - I wish he'd tour with a band, but I guess that involves a lot more overhead.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I forgot to mention that during Doctor My Eyes, some unknown guy came out and played electric lead using one of Jackson's guitars. He said his name but I couldn't hear it and PM couldn't either. That was the only time someone was on the stage with Jackson. I told PM at the show it was probably his guitar tech, who I saw putzing with the guitars before the show. Most of the time guitar techs can play guitar and can certainly play for one song. Some bands even have techs that can fill in for the guitarist if he's sick. It wouldn't make sense for Jackson to bring a guy along to play a short solo during ONE song of the night.

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

Thanks for the great reviews! Sounds like it was a fun night with lots of wonderful music!
    I love JB!

I'm seeing him in August. He's on the bill with John Fogerty, so I'm afraid he'll play a shorter set. But I love Jackson so I'll take what I can get.

Quote Originally Posted by SallyGee View Post
    I'm seeing him in August. He's on the bill with John Fogerty, so I'm afraid he'll play a shorter set. But I love Jackson so I'll take what I can get.
    That's the show I mentioned that I envy anyone who gets to go, because he's going to play with a band! But you're right SG - it will probably be a shortened set.
    ~ Cathy ~