Thread: Jackson Browne

Default Re: Jackson Browne

Thanks Brooke. Thanks everybody!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    I can answer in one word, EV - broker! I kept my eye on these front row seats and they kept going down, down, down. When they got to under $100 I snagged them!

The concert is tomorrow night and I'm so excited! I found his current set list (give or take a song or two - he shakes it up a little!) and downloaded the songs I didn't have and made a concert playlist. We listened to it all weekend. Now we're ready - we'll know every song!
    Great job! It's always a game, knowing when to wait and when to buy! (Paraphrasing Kenny Rogers here, aren't I?!)
    ~Eva~

...the calling of the tide's eternal tune, the phases of the moon, the chambers of the heart, the egg and dart...

Oh wow - front row! I'm envious! But thrilled that you're getting to see Jackson at last. I can't wait to hear all about it. I guarantee that you will LOVE it.

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Have a wonderful time in your front row seat, PM. I'll just live vicariously through you! Can't wait to hear what a great time I had!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

The older I get, the more surreal it seems to me when I am able to go to a live concert of a performer(s) I have loved for 40+ years. First it was Paul McCartney (2002 and 2005), then the Eagles (2008, 2009), and now Jackson Browne. I've listened to their music my whole adult life, can remember specific events that happened while listening to certain songs - indeed, the soundtrack of my life. I also realize how bittersweet it is to finally see these performers relatively late in their careers. Simply put, they won't be doing it much longer. Some day all my favorites will be gone, and so with that in mind I revel in the joy each time I'm able to see them live.

It was my privilege to see Jackson Browne at The Lawn at White River State Park in Indianapolis last night. I had never been to the venue before and have to admit to a little nervousness when I read my ticket and it said Rain or Shine. However, once the forcast was in sight it was 'clear' that rain would not be a problem. I took a jacket with me just in case the September evening decided to turn chilly, but I didn't need it. In fact, I forgot it as we left. Hubby fortunately remembered it for me.

The Lawn looks like this.

The triangular area in front of the stage is reserved seating, while everything else you see is general admission, although even for GA they provide the chairs. One complaint - all of the chairs (including reserved seating) were those really low slung beach-type chairs. As soon as I sat down I said, "I hope Jackson understands why he doesn't get any standing ovations tonight." They have to know that the audience for these types of shows is going to be mostly 40+ and that once we get sat down in one of those things it's a funny sight to see us try to get up out of them. But I must say we baby boomers did ourselves proud and heaved ourselves up when the urge hit.

And it did frequently. Once we got through the short acoustic set with David Lindley, things started to heat up. The first song Jackson sang lead on was For Everyman, and tears welled up when I heard that ever familiar voice. He sounds just as good as he did in the seventies. The thought-provoking lyrics to his songs are just as relevant today as the day he wrote them. You can see the set list here. I had read these set lists before our show so I had an idea of what we would hear. The surprise song for us was These Days. Jackson said that while it had been requested during the tour they had not done it yet. What a treat to hear something added just for us! The whole show was very casual and when he decided to do These Days he walked around to each band member, taking his time, making sure everyone was on the same page as to what to do.

Did Jackson look like he'd aged? You bet he did, but it was okay because you knew you were getting the insight and the talent from all those years, all rolled up into one fantastic three hour show. Here are some pictures from last night. If you look closely in the last picture (#22) you can see Hubby's bright orange Fighting Illini cap, front row, right of stage. I'm sitting to his left.

The concert crescendoed to a climactic Doctor My Eyes and Running On Empty proving once again that 4,000 JB fans, some drunk, some just out of shape, could jump out of those damn chairs when necessary.

This show was so much more than I expected. With no big screens or stage pyrotechnics, in fact no lights off/lights on show starter (he and David Lindley simply walked out on stage together with no intro), Jackson Browne took me on a journey through my younger days, asking those thought-provoking questions about life and love. We still don't have all the the answers, but with the experience of time we can see that we don't need them. Just living life is enough.
    Last edited by Prettymaid; 09-22-2010 at 04:42 PM.
    ~ Cathy ~

Aw, thanks so much for the write-up, Cathy. I was thinking about you earlier and wondering what you thought of the show. (Although I knew you would love it!) I can tell how much of an emotional connection you have to the music. You're right - music is so evocative of a certain period in time, or certain moments in one's life. I'm glad you had this chance to see Jackson and that you went on that emotional journey with him. He's truly an incredible artist.

I love the pictures. I saw your hubby's cap, too! Amazing seats.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Excellent review Cathy! Have you been taking lessons?

Dang, he still looks good!!! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I know you've waited so long.

I know it's been a dream come true for you to see Paul, Eagles & Jackson....is there anyone else in that bucket list? I'm also hoping you get to see Yusuf some day also.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

You know it TBF! I'd love to see Yusuf someday, but I doubt if I could get Hubby to go. He's not a fan.

I actually used the term "bucket list" as we left The Lawn. I told Hubby that Jackson Browne could cross off of his bucket list 'Playing for Cathy'. Okay, that wasn't quite the way it went...
    ~ Cathy ~

LOL!

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

He sings it high, he plays it low