Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rate Bernie's Eagles Songs

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by Randy's Girl
    Lyin' Eyes is good too (bass line, that is) and Midnight Flyer. Ooh, ooh, and my most favourite for bass is Outlaw Man, so fast and sexy.
    I love the bass in both OOTN and Outlaw Man. I really don't remember the bass in Lyin' Eyes - I guess I usually focus in on the voice too much. I'll have to go back and listen again.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Oh, I forgot Outlaw Man. That has a fabulous bass line!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I prefer I Wish You Peace
    Remember when the days were long ...

MARCO

I was amazed a few years age when I read that the theme tune to 'Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy' was by the Eagles. I just couldn't make the link between that music (part of JOTS), and the Eagles' music that I knew at the time. ('Hitchhikers' was a cult radio programme in the late 70s. http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/hitchhikers/guide/index.shtml)
    Now, I quite like the way it fits into the mood of One Of These Nights. I can't say the same for IWYP - it just seems to be an anticlimax. If it had to be included, it would have been better placed buried in the middle somewhere.
    My pick of Bernie songs:
    1. My Man
    2. Train Leaves Here This Morning (I love the BBC version of this)
    3. Bitter Creek
    4. Twenty One
    5. Journey Of The Sorcerer
    6. Early Bird
    7. I Wish You Peace

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

I feel that "I Wish You Peace" is a pleasant enough song and I don't think it's as bad as is commonly argued. It's just not a favorite of mine and I feel it is not Bernie's best work.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Default Rate Bernie's Top Eagles Tracks

A few months ago there was a thread asking Borderers to rank Randy's Eagles songs in order of preference. I was reminded of this topic and thought it would be a good idea to start a similar thread for Bernie's songs (I'll post a link to the thread for Randy's songs).

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...ead.php?t=6225

Although Bernie wrote music for several songs that he didn't sing lead on (most famously Witchy Woman, but also Saturday Night, On The Border and Hollywood Waltz), I don't think these should be counted as his songs, so this leaves seven songs - his six lead vocals plus JOTS, which I very definitely think should count as a Bernie song. In chronological order these are:

Train Leaves Here This Morning
    Earlybird
    Twenty-One
    Bitter Creek
    My Man
    Journey of the Sorcerer
    I Wish You Peace

I'll post my list later. I personally find it easier to do this for Bernie's songs than for Randy's, as I know my favourite and least favourites by him whereas with Randy I am not so sure off the top of my head, although hopefully I'll get around to doing my list for his songs too.

Default Re: Rate Bernie's Top Eagles Tracks

Train Leaves Here This Morning
    Twenty-One
    (ST)
    My Man
    Earlybird
    Bitter Creek
    (GP)
    I Wish You Peace
    Journey of the Sorcerer

subject to change at any time

Stuck on the Border

I can't put them in order at the moment, but what an impressive list! None of those songs could ever be big hits, but most of them are fantastic. I'm glad all Eagles music isn't immediate "hit music".

Does anyone know what Bernie's contribution was to Earlybird - and what was Randy's?

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    I can't put them in order at the moment, but what an impressive list! None of those songs could ever be big hits, but most of them are fantastic. I'm glad all Eagles music isn't immediate "hit music".

Does anyone know what Bernie's contribution was to Earlybird - and what was Randy's?
    Bernie did a radio interview with John Cowan for WSM in 2013. Before posting the link, I wrote: "He covers a lot of Eagles stuff and some I haven't heard/read before such as how Earlybird came to be written." Unfortunately, the link no longer works, I didn't transcribe and I remember very little.

They were in London and Glyn Johns wanted a more even distribution of songs so he sent Bernie and Randy off to write something and they came up with "Earlybird". I don't think Bernie went into who did what.

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

I wanted to put them into order, but I agree with the above comment. These aren't hit songs, but they are all deep album tracks.

I really like Bitter Creek and Journey of the Sorcerer. But then I really like My Man too.

So, maybe this order:

(Bitter Creek = Journey of the Sorcerer = My Man)
    (Early Bird = Twenty-One = I Wish You Peace)

But even with that fudging, there isn't much difference between the first group and the second one.

Hi solo albums appear to be the same too. Excellent songs on both albums from what I've heard (all of Natural Progressions, some songs from Mirror - not yet the ones with the swearing.)