Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rate Bernie's Eagles Songs

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Rate Bernie's Top Eagles Tracks

In order of my preference:

Train Leaves Here This Morning
    Twenty-One
    Bitter Creek
    My Man
    I Wish You Peace
    Earlybird
    Journey of the Sorcerer
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

What's this about Bernie using naughty words on an album(s)?

I like Earlybird and Journey and Peace, in that order.

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    What's this about Bernie using naughty words on an album(s)?
    I haven't heard it myself, but according to Amazon reviews the track "Vile and Profane Man" lives up to its title.

Edit: Lyrics here. I've heard much worse: http://www.bernieleadononline.com/so...profaneman.htm

EDIT: I've gone through all the lyrics of the album. I don't think that there's really swearing. There is some taking the name of thy lord in vain, and a mention of "breaking wind" etc. I'd hate to think what the authors of the Amazon reviews would thought if they listened to certain other songs I could name.
    Last edited by Annoying Twit; 06-16-2016 at 02:32 PM.

Banned

You can listen to (& Dl) Bernie's solo tracks, including Vile And Profane Man here: http://umorina.info/track/Bernie%20Leadon

Bernie's Eagles tracks in order of preference;

1: Journey of the Sorcerer
    2: I Wish You Peace
    3: My Man
    4: Twenty-One
    5: Earlybird
    6: Bitter Creek
    7: Train Leaves Here This Morning

I like Bernie's 48sec instrumental bluegrass version of Doolin-Dalton too.

Although Henley sings lead vocal on them, I'd credit Hollywood Waltz and Witchy Woman to Bernie too. Not sure about Saturday Night but it's another definitely an early Eagles favourite. Not keen on On The Border no matter who'd claim the lions share of the credit for it.

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    You can listen to (& Dl) Bernie's solo tracks, including Vile And Profane Man here: http://umorina.info/track/Bernie%20Leadon
    Thanks. Not sure it's kosher with all the Russian text, but at least I can try before I buy. Buy the CD from the USA, not the mp3s from Russia.

The lyrics for "Vile and Profane Man" are different on the actual song than in the lyrics I posted a link to above. Specifically when the lyrics above say "Well that's just very unfortunate" the song actually drops an f-bomb. It could be just those lyrics which has shocked the gentle reviewers on Amazon, but perhaps other songs are different in reality than the online lyrics.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying Twit View Post
    Thanks. Not sure it's kosher with all the Russian text, but at least I can try before I buy. Buy the CD from the USA, not the mp3s from Russia.

The lyrics for "Vile and Profane Man" are different on the actual song than in the lyrics I posted a link to above. Specifically when the lyrics above say "Well that's just very unfortunate" the song actually drops an f-bomb. It could be just those lyrics which has shocked the gentle reviewers on Amazon, but perhaps other songs are different in reality than the online lyrics.
    You just click the green box with the word Скачать in it. The mp3 downloads (free) in English

When Bernie released his Mirror CD in 2004, it came out in a regular edition plus a VERY expensive, signed and numbered audiophile Special Edition, only available at his website. A year or two later Bernie admitted he still had the majority of those Special Edition CD/LPs in storage.

I wonder how much he's charging for them now? ... if he still has them...
    Last edited by Funk 50; 06-17-2016 at 05:56 AM.

Stuck on the Border

1. Bitter Creek
    2. My Man
    3. Journey of the Sorceror
    4. Train Leaves Here This Morning
    5. I Wish You Peace
    6. Early Bird
    7. Twenty One

Bitter Creek is one of my favourite Eagles songs. I love the guitar, Bernie's lead vocals and those extended backing vocals, the lyrics "All that money. No more running. I can't wait to see the old man's face when I win the race".

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Here is my list:

1. My Man
    2. Bitter Creek
    3. Train Leaves Here This Morning
    4. Journey Of The Sorcerer
    5. Earlybird
    6. Twenty One
    7. I Wish You Peace

My Man has been one of my favourite Eagles songs ever since I've first heard it. It made an immediate connection for me. I love how personal a tribute it is, which somehow means it resonates even more when I think about it for musicians other than Gram Parsons (including, sadly, Glenn). Bitter Creek is a close second though. I think UtW described it very well, I'd add that the atmosphere is unique and Bernie's guitar solo at the end is terrific an doesn't get the attention it deserves, although that's not unusual for acoustic guitar solos which are rarely talked about as often as electric ones.

I'm quite a big fan of Train, which I think is a true country rock classic. I love the understated feel and I think the mid section with the harmony vocals and Bernie's guitar is very good indeed. I also like the Dillard & Clark version and the song, although I don't play it anywhere near as often as the Eagles take! Journey of the Sorcerer is underrated, I can understand why not everyone digs stuff like this and it's a bit out of place on One Of These Nights, but it's an exceptionally inventive and original song. I certainly can't think of any other 'cosmic cowboy' banjo-led instrumentals off the top of my head! My favourite section is the final passage where the banjo builds and builds with the orchestra and what I think is Felder's guitar.

There wasn't a lot between Earlybird and Twenty One, both of which are good showcases for Bernie's banjo. As musical pieces I like them about equally, and I enjoy them both live too, but I think Twenty One has better lyrics. I really enjoy Earlybird though! It doesn't have 'great' lyrics, but it does have 'likeable' lyrics. The harmonies are brilliant and it always makes me happy when I hear it. I'm afraid I Wish You Peace doesn't do much for me though, it's pleasant but doesn't grab me and I find it is definitely weaker than his other songs. Having said this, his guitar solo is nice, but it's overshadowed by the strings which I find a bit sappy on this song.

On the whole I agree with Toni, none of these songs were potential hits but I think nearly all of them are very good. They also show what an excellent musician he was, as an instrumental shines on all of these songs (especially Bitter Creek and JOTS).
    Last edited by Jonny Come Lately; 06-18-2016 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying Twit View Post
    Yeah, I guess I should put the real lyrics he sings. My bad. I don't know what I was thinking when I put that 10 years ago.

ETA: I changed it.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Rate Bernie's Eagles Songs

We actually have an old thread for rating Bernie's songs dating back to 2007 so I went ahead and merged the two. I looked at my list and absolutely nothing has changed - I still rate Bernie's songs exactly as I did nearly 10 years ago.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016