Thread: Federal Government raids on Gibson

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Federal Government raids on Gibson

I haven't seen any mention of this and I was wondering what some of you might think of this. Gibson guitars was raided by the federal government AGAIN. It's one thing to have proof of a banned wood violation, but quite another to close down a place and continually drag out the legal process waiting for proof.
    This big worry for a lot of musicians, apparently, is that they may not have proof that their guitars were purchased before the wood was banned. So they may not be able to use them or risk having them confiscated.
    Below are links to the articles and a video of the Gibson CEO's press conference.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_-taqM5Sk0&feature=share[/ame]

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyl...son-0825-2011/
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: Federal Government raids on Gibson

This is the Wall Street Journal article on it that talks about musician's fears.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...rofile_oneline
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Don't EVEN get me started on this one. As a guitarist, musician, and lover of Gibson guitars (particularly Les Pauls) this makes me furious.

I'm getting ready for dinner but you can bet I'll be writing a long rant when I get back. Total BS IMO.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

“The Federal Department of Justice in Washington, D.C. has suggested that the use of wood from India that is not finished by Indian workers is illegal, not because of U.S. law, but because it is the Justice Department’s interpretation of a law in India. (If the same wood from the same tree was finished by Indian workers, the material would be legal.) This action was taken without the support and consent of the government in India.”
    I'm a bit dense at times but this sounds kind of ridiculous! WTH? Doesn't the federal government have bigger issues to deal with than shutting down a plant that employees a lot of US citizens because of their "interpretation" of another countries laws?
    He sings it high, he plays it low