Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: You're Given Your Own Radio Show: What's the First Song You Play?

Border Desperado AmarilloByMorning's Avatar

Default You're Given Your Own Radio Show: What's the First Song You Play?

Deceptively simple inquiry- if you had to select just one...

This topic absolutely exploded on the amazon.com thread so I thought I'd bring it over here to peruse the answers of people I actually quasi-know.
    Think carefully... you only cross this bridge once!

Default Re: You're Given Your Own Radio Show: What's the First Song You Play?

Perhaps it seems trite to pick an Eagles song, but there's something about those opening strains of Take It Easy that strikes a chord (pardon the pun) with the listener and makes him/her perk up. The song lifts your spirits and makes you smile. It would be a great way to kick off my first radio show, because I'd be associating myself with that great feeling you get when Take It Easy plays.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

ITA with your choice, Soda. I am going to also go with an Eagles song because, of course, they are my favorite band. I thought about choosing a Beatles tune, but I couldn't think of any better than the classic Eagles song that everyone also recognizes from the very first riff ...

Hotel California!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

"Take It Easy", hands down. My all time favourite song. I love the message of the song-
    Don't let the sound of your own wheels make you crazy
    Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand
    Just find a place to make your stand
    Take it easy

Stuck on the Border AzEaglesFan's Avatar

Best of My Love, I listen to that song over and over.

Border Desperado

I thought a lot about this....

I love Take it Easy and it would be a wonderful choice (as would the others) and I agree that it is a natural...

but, I believe I'd start my show with "Train Leaves Here This Morning" for a bunch of reasons: 1) my show, like the train was leaving (starting off) 2) Radio is kinda deal (actually really dead) so it fits the "I lost 10 points just for bein' at the right place at exactly the wrong time." it would be fitting for me... 3) The song was written by Bernie and maybe the most talented Byrd. There is no denying that the Byrds were the single biggest influence on the Eagles and that making a nod to that lineage would be kinda cool.

My show probably wouldn't be super popular, but for the folks that liked it... they'd really, really like it. I'd try to be like Super Soul in the classic 70's film "Vanishing Point" but I'd probably be more like Road Hog.
    I hope your daughter never has to find out how funny rape is. -Sodascouts

I would also lean toward Take It Easy, although my FIRST thought was Hotel California. Decisions, decisions......hmm....

TAKE IT EASY!!!!
    I just need a little downtime.........

Stuck on the Border

I don't know that I would start with an Eagles song. My instinct was McCartney's Band On The Run, or perhaps Led Zeppelin's Rock'n'Roll.

I also wouldn't start with an Eagles song. The first song that came to my mind was one of my favorite songs of all time by anyone...Thunder Road by Bruce. I just love the way it starts quietly, but builds up with excitement and anticipation...just like my radio show would!!
    ~Eva~

...the calling of the tide's eternal tune, the phases of the moon, the chambers of the heart, the egg and dart...

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I can understand why so many people would choose TIE and I'm up there with you, but for me it would be between Lyin Eyes and Peaceful Easy Feeling. I think really to get that good vibe going I'd opt for Peaceful Easy Feeling. But it would also depend on what type of audience you were targeting.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP