Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Eagles musical: "Hotel California"

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Re: Future Eagles Projects

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    And I wonder about his living in NY. Do you think he and Cindy are still together?
    Can you imagine the frenzy among the Glennmaidens if he was single again? The poor guy would need to hire extra security.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Can you imagine the frenzy among the Glennmaidens if he was single again? The poor guy would need to hire extra security.
    For sure!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    Do you really believe this? It's all relative. With huge money comes huge expenses. They will ALWAYS want more money. We certainly have no knowledge of their finances, investment performance or financial goals. Their desire to remain relevant and in the spotlight might be as strong a driving force as the money. You will know when they feel like they don't need to actively generate revenue - they will retire permanently. Until then, rest assured they're in it for the money.
    Sorry, MC, but I don't consider rehashing old songs into a Broadway musical to be in any way staying 'relevant'. On the contrary; I see it as creative bankruptcy where they have now got to the point where they are happier with other people singing their own songs rather than they themselves having to make some sort of effort.

As for their huge expenses all four of them are very rich men.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Compared to most they are rich and compared to many they aren't. I wouldn't presume to tell any of them that they have made enough money and that they shouldn't follow artistic endeavours that they're interested in.

And, consulting on a broadway musical and creating new Eagles or solo music certainly aren't mutually exclusive. It's not one or the other. Of course we all hope for new music. The HoTE doc brought their music to a new group of fans, and a live show would do the same. It's another channel for getting their music out there, which isn't a bad thing.

Stuck on the Border

But why, after 40 years, do they 'need to get their music out there'? These are some of the best known songs on the planet. This isn't a young band just starting out & searching for recognition. How many people would go & see this show & then go & buy the albums & why when they have already sold so many records is that important? I am sorry, but I don't get it.

IMO, a Broadway musical presents an entirely different creative outlet for them, much like playing with a new toy. It breaks up the usual album-tour routine that has dominated their 40+ year history, even though there wasn't any new material released from the band between HFO and LROOE. Still, the tours remained as the standard mode for getting their music out to the public in between those albums.

Don recently made a quip about his dissatisfaction with the role of a "human jukebox." Granted, that may have been directly related to HOTE tour fatigue, but possibly not, considering his reluctance to perform Eagles' songs on the CC tour. Also, I can't help but wonder if Glenn, Timothy, and Joe think in a similar fashion, in that touring (for now) as the Eagles has become routine. If true, a musical opens up a whole new medium in which to recycle their world-renowned catalogue.
    "You thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still."

Stuck on the Border

Well then, I guess I am alone in believing that this music is so well known that there is no need for it to be endlessly recycled, no matter what format it is in.

Border Troubadour

But their music is not that well known in some quarters. I have friends who are huge 'musical' junkies and they would not know one Eagles' song but I guarantee if an Eagles' musical was produced they would go to it if it was successful. I for one believe that Glenn would not be spearheading any juncture like this unless he thought firstly that it would do the songs and the band justice and secondly that it would be successful. I think we should give the whole thing the benefit of the doubt before judging it. I just hope ( and somehow I don't think it will be) that it's not another 'jukebox' musical like Mama Mia which turned me off Abba for life!!!
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

Stuck on the Border

The majority of Broadway musicals lose money*, so it's absurd to see this as just another way to get richer. Although it's possible they used the "exploiting the catalogue" idea to sell the idea to Henley, I'm sure they are well aware of the problems. My guess is that Glenn has developed a real interest in musical theatre, possibly starting with Linda's Pirates of Penzance and encouraged by Cindy and Taylor. At one time he was even considering treading the boards himself! The Eagles catalogue gives him a way into an interesting and different creative venture.

I'd love for Glenn to make new music, but if the alternative is sinking into retirement, I'd rather follow this.

[*maybe it's time to look more closely at that, but if I do, I'll post it in the thread for the musical]

I can't find the source, but either Don or Glenn made a comment recently that suggested that the musical would be their (Eagles) story.