Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Glenn to be Guest at Songwriters Hall of Fame Master Session at NYU

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Default Re: Glenn to be Guest at Songwriters Hall of Fame Master Session at NYU

WOW! Ladies I've been reading the various posts by Soda, HH and VA over the past few days. What an experience this must have been for all of you. I love hearing insights into Glenn's life and his songwriting, and what inspired home ( and even what didn't). It's so interesting to hear from him about the craft and discipline of writing songs. Of course we only hear the finished products. We have no idea what brings them to that point. What a wonderful and talented man he is!

I've tried the link posted but can't find the pictures . Have they been taken down already?
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Isn't that nice!

As for your previous post Soda, as you know I flew across the world to see him, he is the only singer I would do that for, and he knows it.
    Ditto FP, and hopefully if the chance presents itself, I will do it all again!
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter View Post
    I've tried the link posted but can't find the pictures . Have they been taken down already?
    They're a flash slideshow under the text - if you don't have the correct plug in, you might not be able to see them. I posted what I felt were the most flattering two in "Frey Fever."

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Yep! I caught them later, thanks! They look wonderful. Glenn looks fantastic. I'm delighted you all had such a great evening.
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Okay, I just opened two windows so I could go back and review what I want to comment on.

First of all, it was so great that you guys got to go to this, and I'm really impressed with your note-taking skills. I'm also very thankful, because where else would I have learned all of this stuff! I love it when songwriters let us in on how they wrote a song, what they were thinking when they wrote a song, what they intended for the song to convey, etc. This sort of reminds me of that tv show, Inside the Actor's Studio with host James Lipton. The format seems the same.

I'm not sure, but I don't remember if any of you said what row you were sitting in from the stage. And I have to say that I'm very surprised (and slightly disappointed ) that you didn't wait to see if you would be able to approach Glenn afterward. I'm sure he would have been happy to chat with you.

Being a Jackson Browne fan, you can imagine how much I enjoyed the story of Glenn living upstairs from him and literally listening to him write songs, and then actually crediting JB as an influence.

I know exactly what Glenn means when he credits The Beatles for writing "all kinds of different songs". It's great when a band does not pidgeonhole themselves into one category. I'm not a big fan of country music, but when I hear my favorite singers/bands do a country flavored song I usually enjoy it.

Love the part about the criteria for whether a song was good or not was the feedback from Neil Young or Joni or Jackson. Can't you just close your eyes and imagine them playing a song to one of these guys and asking, "So, what do you think?" and waiting for the answer? Oh, how I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall in that room!

I agree with Glenn - Don's voice is money - but I remember that when I first started listening to the Eagles one of the things I really liked about them is that they had multiple lead singers, unlike the bands that were around at the time that had one lead singer. I liked that you never knew who you would hear singing lead on a song, and I agree with those of you who enjoy Glenn's leads just as much as Don's.

I got off on the part where Glenn talks about listening to The Beatles' Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds and thinking about what it must have been like at the session, who was playing what and where they were sitting... doesn't he realize that that's what we would love to know about Eagles songs?

Question: When Glenn started singing ICTYW did he start from the beginning? How far did he go?

Concerning BOML not being a love song, I'm going to have to disagree with Soda. I think it's a very loving thing to say, "We've always had each other...I guess that wasn't enough. But here in my heart I give you the best of my love." It's like he's saying even though the relationship is not going to work, he will always hold a special place in his heart for her.

Question: Did any of you submit a question and if so what was it?

Interesting that Glenn mentions that the audience can tell if you want to be there (onstage), that they can tell if you're just going through the motions. How often have we mentioned here that at times they just didn't seem to be enjoying themselves onstage?

I am very encouraged that Glenn's memory is so good. Maybe the Eagles will be able to put out some kind of retrospective of their career. I hope so!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

I think one of you mentioned that Cindy and Nellie were there...were the kids there too?....I'm thinking Taylor must've been...had to be a special night for Nellie...he's very lucky to still have both his parents around...

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    I'm not sure, but I don't remember if any of you said what row you were sitting in from the stage. And I have to say that I'm very surprised (and slightly disappointed ) that you didn't wait to see if you would be able to approach Glenn afterward. I'm sure he would have been happy to chat with you.
    We were some of the first people in and got our pick of seats, essentially, but we didn't want to be all "in your face" so we just sat in the left section on either the third or fourth row. After we sat down, I noticed an elderly lady on the first row of our section off to the side and it looked like Glenn's mom to me. Cindy Frey later sat down on the first row in front of us. Taylor wound up sitting a couple rows behind us with some friends.

Glennhoney - As far as I could tell, no other male Freys were there, but maybe I missed them.

Lucky for us, we chose a great spot, because Glenn's chair happened to be angled our way (probably why the Frey Fam was sitting in that section, too).

As for afterwards, I didn't really want to approach him because I figured he was there for the students and I didn't want to come off as some attention whore fangirl who flew to New York to get a smile. It was enough to just hear him speak about his craft; his lecture was truly fascinating. On top of that, to hear him perform IYWN - what a privilege!

However, in retrospect, I do wish we would've stuck around so that HH and V could have had the chance to meet him.

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid
    Question: When Glenn started singing ICTYW did he start from the beginning? How far did he go?
    He started at the beginning... "Look at us baby, up all night..." and sang all the way up to the first "I can't tell you why." Considering how high it was, he did pretty darn good.

Concerning BOML not being a love song, I'm going to have to disagree with Soda. I think it's a very loving thing to say, "We've always had each other...I guess that wasn't enough. But here in my heart I give you the best of my love." It's like he's saying even though the relationship is not going to work, he will always hold a special place in his heart for her.
    I see what you're saying. Point taken.

Question: Did any of you submit a question and if so what was it?
    I think I was the only one of us who submitted a question. HH and V were giving me a hard time because it was kind of long. In fact, it filled up the index card, lol. It went along these lines: "We know you often collaborate with other songwriters, most notably Don Henley and Jack Tempchin. How does that process work? For instance, do you brainstorm together or come up with ideas separately? Do you divide up duties, such as one of you devising chords and the other lyrics? Also, has this process changed over the years?" Then I added as a postscript, "Thanks for doing this!"

Even though my question wasn't read, I essentially got the answer in the discussion and that answer would be: "All of the above."

Interesting that Glenn mentions that the audience can tell if you want to be there (onstage), that they can tell if you're just going through the motions. How often have we mentioned here that at times they just didn't seem to be enjoying themselves onstage?
    I thought that too, but Glenn was very insistent that such was never the case with the Eagles. I wondered - how could that be? Surely there have been a few occasions where the Eagles didn't really want to be playing but did so out of professional obligation. However, he was adamant that the Eagles never said they wanted to be there unless they truly did.

I wonder why (the Frey women) didn't all sit together...security, maybe?

Taylor probably wanted to sit with her friends from school - not very surprising considering they were at her university.

As for the two Mrs. Freys - they sat near each other, just a few seats apart on the front row.

Stuck on the Border Henley Honey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    We were some of the first people in and got our pick of seats, essentially, but we didn't want to be all "in your face" so we just sat in the left section on either the third or fourth row.
    Lucky for us, we chose a great spot, because Glenn's chair happened to be angled our way (probably why the Frey Fam was sitting in that section, too).

As for afterwards, I didn't really want to approach him because I figured he was there for the students and I didn't want to come off as some attention whore fangirl who flew to New York to get a smile. It was enough to just hear him speak about his craft; his lecture was truly fascinating. On top of that, to hear him perform IYWN - what a privilege!

However, in retrospect, I do wish we would've stuck around so that HH and V could have had the chance to meet him.

I think I was the only one of us who submitted a question. HH and V were giving me a hard time because it was kind of long. In fact, it filled up the index card, lol.

I totally agree, Soda. I thought it would have been kind of pushy and somewhat inappropriate for us to stick around and "chat". It just seemed like the right thing to do to make a quick exit and let the students and faculty have the "kodak moments".

And seriously, your saying your question was "kind of long" ???? Hello? War and Peace was "kind of long". Just sayin . . . . .