Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Glenn to be Guest at Songwriters Hall of Fame Master Session at NYU

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Default Re: Glenn to be Guest at Songwriters Hall of Fame Master Session at NYU

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post

As for afterwards, I didn't really want to approach him because I figured he was there for the students and I didn't want to come off as some attention whore fangirl who flew to New York to get a smile. It was enough to just hear him speak about his craft; his lecture was truly fascinating. On top of that, to hear him perform IYWN - what a privilege!

However, in retrospect, I do wish we would've stuck around so that HH and V could have had the chance to meet him.

I understand your reluctance to be noticed here Soda, but I really don't think Glenn would think like that about you. he knows you are one of his biggest fans - he KNEW you'd be at Niagara Falls and I'm sure he would have felt you were just supporting him in another one of his ventures. I guess too he would realise that as such a big fan you might actually be interested to hear what he had to say. This was something so totally different from anything else he has done in so long.

It has been absolutely fascinating hearing everything that he had to say - I have certainly gained new insights into the craft of songwriting from what I have read over the last week or so.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Well, perhaps my language was a bit hyperbolic. I just meant to convey the same idea HH did in her later post.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Wow! Believe it or not, I just now got around to reading this entire thread. I was so busy around this time of the lecture that all I was able to do was scan the thread. I regret more now than ever that I missed this although VAisFEL, HH, and Soda, you all did a remarkable job of taking notes for us. I would definitely give you all an A+.

Anyway, it was very interesting to read about Glenn sharing his insights about songwriting. I do find it interesting that he does tend to underscore his contributions so much, especially considering how cocky he was back in the day. I realize that he may not want to come across as being boisterous, but nor should he be so modest. Seriously, he tends to downplay his role so much to the point that he misrepresents his contributions. There is no indication from anything I've ever read from Glenn and Don back in the 70's that these two guys were anything other than a true partnership and pretty equal contributors in the songwriting process.

As far a his singing role, PrettyMaid said it best in another thread - Don's voice may be money, but Glenn's is heart. I told her I wish I'd said that because I had a sneaky feeling that I may be using that line again. I have always said that one of my favorite things about this band is the fact that all of the band members can sing lead. This makes listening to an Eagles album so much more interesting for me. Again, Glenn should not minimize the importance of his singing role in the band's success.

My guess is that he does recognize his contributions, and I understand that he may no longer want to come across as the cocky rock star that he was back in the day, but there's no need for revisionist history either.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Hear hear, Dreamer.

I think Glenn has come a long way in the appreciation of the long term success of the band. His reputation and cocky attitude back in the day was really a turn off (to me anyway). I think it's always smart to be modest & humble. The work speaks for itself. In my opinion, it only makes him look better! I think the praise for Henley shows his true appreciation for the partnership and the success they had working together.

Well TK - You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I think the cockiness of all the guys back then was mainly part of their rock star persona. All rock stars had to have attitude to be cool and our guys were very good at that.

As for today, I would agree that Glenn's modesty is a good thing, but not when it's at the expense of distorting facts about the past. I am basing my comments on all the information and interviews that Don and Glenn gave back in the 70's. I have read most of the information that is available about the band back then, and as I said earlier, I never got the impression that Glenn played the role of second fiddle then as he often does now. If he wants to take a somewhat lower profile now, that is his choice, but he shouldn't confuse it with his role in the band during the 70's. JMHO

Well TK - You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I think the cockiness of all the guys back then was mainly part of their rock star persona. All rock stars had to have attitude to be cool and our guys were very good at that.
    I have to disagree with you on this one. Not all rock stars were cocky, and Glenn was downright nasty & had made several comments, especially in NYC where his attitude didn't make him cool, it made him seem like a jerk. Sorry, but that's how I saw it. I think however, it may have been the coke that was taking over & exaggerating some of his personality. I know people who had met him at this time & didn't have much nice to say about the guy.
    I'm just glad to see that he has changed for the better.

As for him downgrading his writing skills as compared to Don, maybe it's true. Henley has always been know as the master of the lyrics. Maybe Don actually did do more of the writing. None of us were in the room with them. If Glenn wants to credit Don, why would anybody doubt what he says?

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Yes, I've read a lot of comments from people who met him in the 70s and early 80s and didn't have a lot of good things to say. In my case, the comments came from people who wanted something from him (DJs, media, etc) and thought they had a right to it. I'm sure he could have handled it much better.

It's a free country and he can say what he wants. He can be modest and sing Don's praises. I just know that I'm a fan and it's a free country and I can sing Glenn's praises til I'm blue in the face. And I will!
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Well said VA! I will too!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Well - you can count me in there as well VAisFEL and GA. I've never been one that has blind adoration for my idol, and I'm not really interested in belaboring this, but it was pretty typical bad boy behavior for rock stars in the 70's to have a cocky attitude. Doesn't mean it was right, but Glenn certainly wasn't alone in this regard. And it appears that he's a bit better behaved nowadays.

And with regard to the way Glenn minimizes his contributions in the band, the reason someone may doubt Glenn's recollection these days is because it doesn't really jive with most of the accounts from the 70's. I totally agree that none of us knows exactly how the songwriting process transpired in the band back in the day, but most of what's been written about it is that Glenn was very involved up until the late 70's when he felt that the band's end was inevitable.