Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Glenn to be Guest at Songwriters Hall of Fame Master Session at NYU

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

Default Re: Glenn to be Guest at Songwriters Hall of Fame Master Session at NYU

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Ah yes ... Regrets? I've had a few and missing this seminar is certainly one of them! However, I must say the amazing detailed recaps of this that the three of you gave us certainly helped take some of the sting out of not being there. Many thanks to you for that!
    ITA - they did an awesome job!

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

Hh tanos for sharing . I love trips down memory lane

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I would have loved to have had the opportunity to be at this but it would never have been possible, thank God those who were at it were to able to give such a wonderful account.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border

It's great to read back through the detailed reports. One thing I noticed was that some of the stories are almost word-for-word the same as in the documentary. I'm guessing he filmed some of his interview segments around the same time as this event.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

I'd just like to add my thanks - merci beaucoup, ladies, for sharing Glenn's songwriting wisdom with us poor wretches who couldn't be there!

I took a songwriting course at the University of Miami about 10 years ago. One of the songs we studied was "Peaceful Easy Feeling"; the professor used it as an example of matching the flow of the music to the lyrics, i.e. the sustained notes in the chorus illustrate the peeeeaaacefulll feelings described

Stuck on the Border

I got a link to this thread in another thread. I have completely missed this. I read about nine pages, and someone had a very good point when he/she mentioned that he/she was expecting more specific methods to songwriting. I wasn't expecting instructions since I'm a hopeless case lyrically, but I sort of felt that way too. But then I remembered...Whenever I've heard/seen an interviewer ask a songwriter how his/her songs are born, the answer has ALWAYS been "there's no formula". It's always the same. Sometimes it's a title. Sometimes a chord progression that inspires you to take it further etc. I think Glenn's main message was the following: "Don't wait for inspiration. Work at it. (This is how Randy Newman does it) If there's a bit that destroys the flow, replace it."

My wife always tells me about images she sees in her head when she hears music, and I must say that the older I get (and the more I listen to my wife!) the more I respect Glenn's talent for seeing "the big picture" and having a "vision". An example: Who wrote the LITFL riff? Joe. Who wrote most of the lyric? Probably Don H. Who kept his ears open, got a cool phrase from a friend and recognized a riff that along with the phrase would be the basis of a perfect story? Glenn. IMO this is true leadership (in songwriting). A leader doesn't always come up with everything him/herself, but pays attention and brings together different stuff different people do. Like Miles Davis. I'm not saying that "Glenn is the greatest", but this is something I recognize more and more as I get older. It's not only about riffs or good lyrical lines (although they are important), but also about the big picture and "overseeing" the overall process. Glenn is a guitar player himself. He could have written a guitar riff for the phrase "life in the fast line". But he didn't. Again he listened to what was happening around him. "That lick is Life In The Fast Lane!" Maybe Randy was "the ribbon in the package", but Glenn was certainly "the glue".
    Last edited by chaim; 08-06-2015 at 09:43 PM.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Well said, Chaim. One thing that has always impressed me about Glenn is his sensitivity to the things around him, as you mention. It helps that he seems to have a great memory. He can store a cool phrase in his mind and maybe even forget about it until something like a guitar riff reminds him and he puts it together.

To me, songwriting is an art that doesn't get nearly enough credit. I know I never gave it credit until lately. You get an idea or even just a mood and with words (that rhyme, because why make it easy), melody, harmonies, background instruments, timing, verses, bridges, and volumes create a story in generally 300 words or less, six minutes or less, and do it so well it can bring tears to your eyes.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    Well said, Chaim. One thing that has always impressed me about Glenn is his sensitivity to the things around him, as you mention. It helps that he seems to have a great memory. He can store a cool phrase in his mind and maybe even forget about it until something like a guitar riff reminds him and he puts it together.

To me, songwriting is an art that doesn't get nearly enough credit. I know I never gave it credit until lately. You get an idea or even just a mood and with words (that rhyme, because why make it easy), melody, harmonies, background instruments, timing, verses, bridges, and volumes create a story in generally 300 words or less, six minutes or less, and do it so well it can bring tears to your eyes.
    What a wonderful way to put it.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

That's why they call him the Mighty Arranger.

Chaim (and anyone else who is interested), the University of Sheffield offers a free online course in songwriting that is very good. I learned things I've never even heard of before, and it is very specific information for the most part.

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/...ing/1/register

Stuck on the Border

I read through most of this thread again yesterday and the bit below has stayed with me. It's a clear contradiction of the acusations of "phoning it in" or "only doing it for the money".

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Instead of going to another question, the interviewer asked Glenn to talk about his "rules" of songwriting, especially his most important "rule" which was "Be Honest."

[Note from Nancy: I found this part to be the more revelatory of the evening.]

Glenn replied, "Somebody once asked me in an interview back in 1973 why I was in the music business, and I looked her in the eye and said, 'For sex and drugs.'' [audience laughs] "But it was only because I felt that that person didn't deserve to know the truth. That's not why I was really in the music business.... which was because I had something inside of me that wanted to get out. I wanted to make people feel good. I wanted to communicate. Music goes so far beyond the spoken word. I was just watching the George Harrison documentary on HBO and Robbie Shankard (?) was saying, 'Music transcends all the speeches you can give about God and religion... it's a feeling; it's a language unto itself.'

"The one thing I know about the Eagles and the one thing I know about myself is... whether you like the Eagles or you think we're pretentious country-rock snobs or whatever you feel, we have never spent a dishonest moment on stage, or in the studio, or sitting in my living room with two legal pads, Don and I staring at each other going, 'What do we do?' It's not something that I strive for; it's just the way we are. We have to be honest. And I think these things show through. I really believe we're transparent. I really believe that if you see somebody walk onstage and say, 'Geez, it's really great to be here tonight, ladies and gentleman! I wanna sing you a song that I really love. I wrote this a long time ago - originally it was called Brandy but Clive Davis told me to change it to Mandy, I really love this'... which he did...or so he says he did. But, you know, people can tell if you don't want to be there. People can tell if you're insincere. People can tell if you're fakin' it, if you're just going through the motions.

"And it's about your reputation. It's about something you have that you don't want to soil. You want that to be part of who you are. Bob Dylan.. honesty. The Beatles... honesty. They're not trying to fool anybody. They're just doing what they do because they love it. I think that comes across; I really do."
    I also found it interesting that when he wanted to hold an interviewer at bay in the 70s he resorted to the glib "sex and drugs" quote (though isn't it "sex and narcotics" in the original?) that has become infamous. That reminds me of the doc when he's asked about his frustrations and he comes back with "I haven't been getting laid." How many of his smart-arse comments are just a defence? He's said about learning to make people laugh so as not to get beaten up in Detroit. Does he still do that with journalists?