Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Glenn to be Guest at Songwriters Hall of Fame Master Session at NYU

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: Glenn to be Guest at Songwriters Hall of Fame Master Session at NYU

He's a funny guy, and it is handy to have humor and sarcasm at the ready for any time a person asks a question you don't want to answer for whatever reason!

What I find interesting about our guys, and I'm not sure this belongs here, but since Glenn did talk about it that night (being honest and not phoning it in) I guess it's appropriate, is that while they do what they do for the money at a high level. They might think about doing a show or two, or even a whole tour, and they do it for the money. They make sure the tickets prices are appropriately high, even if they leave some in the upper regions of an arena at a very affordable price. To some extent it's more than money, it's the ability to say they're still commanding a certain price.

What I really love about our guys is that once that decision is made, they work their @$$es off to make sure the fans get their money's worth. They make sure to deliver a high quality show, and this is what I really like, because they really do appreciate their fans, they want to be there. Maybe they don't when the event is first set up. Maybe they don't when they're traveling to it and missing something one of their kids has going on. When they walk out on that stage, though, they're all in, and it shows. It very definitely shows.

I find it amazing and interesting that they can carry off such a conundrum, that of doing it for the money, yet giving the fans what they want and doing it so well. I don't think there's a lot of people out there that could carry that off and have it all be so 'honest', but perhaps I'm wrong.
    Last edited by VAisForEagleLovers; 08-07-2015 at 10:05 PM.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border

I get it. I've seen it with actors on the promotional rounds. Some are completely miserable and you can tell they'd rather be anywhere else, whereas others get into it - they play the part of someone who loves doing those interviews and in the process they become that person.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I'm reviving this thread to acknowledge the 4th anniversary of Glenn's appearance at this NYU lecture.

It is bittersweet for me because I had to cancel my plans to go up there because of stupid work! However, Soda, HH, and VA were there and did a superb job of documenting Glenn's remarks in this thread. It was a very interesting symposium, so I would definitely encourage anyone who hasn't done so to read through this thread - very good stuff!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I get it. I've seen it with actors on the promotional rounds. Some are completely miserable and you can tell they'd rather be anywhere else, whereas others get into it - they play the part of someone who loves doing those interviews and in the process they become that person.
    I think it's called professionalism! But yeah, some artistes want to be honest so they let you know when something (or someone) is far beneath them.

Actually, that's how Cameron Crowe began his 1975 Rolling Stone article on the band: they were being interviewed by a radio DJ somewhere, and the guys were really tired and barely responded to the DJ - except for Glenn, who stepped up the energy level and did his best.

I loved Glenn's discussion of songwriting. I put all his remarks from these pages into a Word document a few months back. Then subsequently lost said document [cringe].

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Well, somehow I managed to miss this thread. I enjoyed reading it. It's nice to read about songwriting and the songs from Glenn's perspective!
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Happy 5th Anniversary to this event. Its sad Glenn didn't get to go back to this before he died. I think the professor was going to ask Glenn back to another class this year. Those students were soo lucky to hear from Glenn those few days he was a guest lecturer and of course this special.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 10-27-2016 at 07:31 AM.

Wow. 5 years ago. It seems like so much longer now.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I wasn't there but heard great reports from Soda and others who were there. I vowed to get beck to the next one if he ever did something like this again. Sadly it was not to be
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I don't know if Soda was going to do this later or not, but I'll jump start the revival of this thread to acknowledge the anniversary of Glenn's appearance at this NYU lecture.

Sadly, one of my deepest regrets is I was unable to attend this because of work. Fortunately, those who did go (Soda, HH, and VA) did a phenomenal job of capturing Glenn's remarks for us. Once again, I would encourage everyone to read through this thread if you haven't done so previously - it is a very interesting read. Enjoy!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

With a lot of the history dates gone, I forget what anniversary is coming up.

I enjoyed the write up on this.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley