Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Glenn to be Guest at Songwriters Hall of Fame Master Session at NYU

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: Glenn to be Guest at Songwriters Hall of Fame Master Session at NYU

Wow. I really don't know what else to say. Soda and HH will have better a better memory of what all was said. I took a notebook to take notes but then didn't even open it. At first, it was hard to hear. It was Glenn and Phil Galdston (a member of NYU's Artists' Faculty) sitting on chairs on a stage at an angle to each other (Glenn was angled towards us!) Whoever hooked up the microphone to his lapel put it on his left lapel and he spent the evening talking to Phil on his right, away from the mic.

He looked great (of course), and he wore a suit and tie. He sang It's Your World Now at the end, acoustic guitar only, and it brought tears to my eyes.

They asked us to turn off all electronic devices and it was quiet enough I knew the clicking of a shutter would be heard...so no pics. I'd planned on getting some at the end, but it all ended very quickly. I'll try and make up for it at Vegas next week.

One of the highlights of the evening, of course, was meeting HH and Soda.

I'll say it again. Wow.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border Henley Honey's Avatar

Just got home. Had a wonderful time and enjoyed meeting VA. The lecture was very interesting and we learned some new things. One special treat that we weren't expecting was the performance of "It's Your World Now". We will write up a more detailed review tomorrow when we have more time, but here are some tidbits. . . .

Glenn admitted that Longbranch Pennywhistle was a bad name. He said he knew it wasn't a very good album when it was released (and he was right).

He talked about how he met David Geffin and asked if he could make some demos at Muscle Shoals while he was there with Linda Ronstadt. Geffin told him OK, but keep it to $500.00. Glenn ended up spending $2300.00 and that's when Geffin told him he needed to be in a band because they could cover his weaknessess with their strengths and help him showcase his strengths.

He said that he was never concerned with doing more than one lead song on an album. He recognized that Henley's voice was "money" and he had no problem giving Henley the majority of the leads if his voice was more suited to the song.

The more we write, the more we realize that we can't do it justice tonight with just these tidbits, so we'll leave it at that for now and do this right when we have more time. However there are plenty of highlights left.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    Wow. I really don't know what else to say. Soda and HH will have better a better memory of what all was said. I took a notebook to take notes but then didn't even open it. At first, it was hard to hear. It was Glenn and Phil Galdston (a member of NYU's Artists' Faculty) sitting on chairs on a stage at an angle to each other (Glenn was angled towards us!) Whoever hooked up the microphone to his lapel put it on his left lapel and he spent the evening talking to Phil on his right, away from the mic.

He looked great (of course), and he wore a suit and tie. He sang It's Your World Now at the end, acoustic guitar only, and it brought tears to my eyes.

They asked us to turn off all electronic devices and it was quiet enough I knew the clicking of a shutter would be heard...so no pics. I'd planned on getting some at the end, but it all ended very quickly. I'll try and make up for it at Vegas next week.

One of the highlights of the evening, of course, was meeting HH and Soda.

I'll say it again. Wow.
    How wonderful that you got to see that.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Henley Honey View Post
    Just got home. Had a wonderful time and enjoyed meeting VA. The lecture was very interesting and we learned some new things. One special treat that we weren't expecting was the performance of "It's Your World Now". We will write up a more detailed review tomorrow when we have more time, but here are some tidbits. . . .

Glenn admitted that Longbranch Pennywhistle was a bad name. He said he knew it wasn't a very good album when it was released (and he was right).

He talked about how he met David Geffin and asked if he could make some demos at Muscle Shoals while he was there with Linda Ronstadt. Geffin told him OK, but keep it to $500.00. Glenn ended up spending $2300.00 and that's when Geffin told him he needed to be in a band because they could cover his weaknessess with their strengths and help him showcase his strengths.

He said that he was never concerned with doing more than one lead song on an album. He recognized that Henley's voice was "money" and he had no problem giving Henley the majority of the leads if his voice was more suited to the song.

The more we write, the more we realize that we can't do it justice tonight with just these tidbits, so we'll leave it at that for now and do this right when we have more time. However there are plenty of highlights left.
    How generous & open hearted, as usual, but I would love to tell him that his voice is 'money' too.

I'm so glad you had the privilege of witnessing this event.

Glad to hear you had a great time, an't wait to hear more!

How cool that he sang It's Your World Now! Love the song!
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Quote Originally Posted by Henley Honey View Post
    Sounds great. Thanks for posting so soon after the event , really looking forward to hearing more...
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I bet this was a really awesome thing to be a part of---so different from the norm for one of our guys.

Love how modest Glenn is. He's an amazing musician, but he seems so humble and willing to give others credit where credit is due.

When Soda sent me a text after and told me he had sang IYWN, all I could think was WOW---that made those ladies awfully happy!!! I know how much that song means to so many Glenn fans here on the board. I only wish we could have a video of it. How wonderful that would of been to hear acoustically.

Anxiously awaiting the rest of the details.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Sounds like this was a wonderful and unique experience. Dying to hear more about it! And IYWN!!!!!! Swoooooooon!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Wow - Soda and HH called me last night after the lecture to fill me in since they knew how bombed I am about missing it. Sounds like it was an awesome, unique experience indeed. I'll leave the details for them to tell, but I can't wait to hear more too.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Just got back home. I'd love to chill out and post about last night, but instead, I've got to get ready to go to work! I teach at 2:30 this afternoon (our break is only two days long). No rest for the weary. Totally worth it, though! It was indeed a unique experience and I'm very glad I went.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten