Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Glenn to be Guest at Songwriters Hall of Fame Master Session at NYU

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Default Re: Glenn to be Guest at Songwriters Hall of Fame Master Session at NYU

Its a pain having to head back to work so quickly Soda (did it in August) but I'm sure you'll agree it was well worth it. Hope today goes well for you.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border Henley Honey's Avatar

I had a little time this morning so I went over my notes, but this does not cover even half of the lecture. Between Soda, me and VA I'm sure we can put it all together but it'll take time and several posts.

During the introduction, Glenn was lauded for the solidity and consistency of his material. He was credited with being a consumate artist who created country pop and who should be recognized for his work which concentrated and iconicized the SoCal lifestyle and vibe that permeated his writing. As a songwriter and an artist he produced tightly woven and cohesive songs.

Glenn mentioned that his Standards album is almost finished and how much he enjoyed "spending time" with the artists that he covered.

They began to discuss songwriting and how important it is that nothing seemed forced or out of place. Its best if the music just flows and is natural. He made a specific point of acknowledging his association with Don Henley and Jack Tempchin and their contributions to his songwriting.

After the first Eagles album -- which had 3 hits and what Glenn called other material that was "not so good", he and Don Henley discussed how they had "better get good at songwriting and get good fast" to be able to hold their own with the likes of Joni Mitchell and Jackson Browne.
    They decided to write songs together and in the first week wrote Desperado and Tequilla Sunrise.

Glenn acknowledged that his is a big audiophile of American rhythm and blues, Motown, The Byrds and The Beach Boys. He thought that if he started spending time with great artists and studying their catalogs, some of their greatness would "rub off". He would listen to the music of Al Green and Hall & Oates and try and analyze and learn from them. He recently "spent time" with Neil Young's catalog.

He talked about how in Detroit where he grew up, Bob Seger took him under his wing, how they spent time together in and out of the studio. Bob told him that if he wanted to make it in the music business he'd have to write his own songs. Glenn asked Bob "Well, what if they're bad songs?" Seger said: "Oh, they're gonna be bad -- but you just have to keep on writing them". That got a laugh from the audience.

I think this is when he started discussing going to Southern California with JD Souther and meeting Jackson Browne at a fund raiser in Long Beach and how he and JD rented the upstairs apartment while Jackson lived in the downstairs unit in a house in Echo Park. Glenn said that Jackson unwittingly taught him how to write a song. Jackson would get up early in the mornings and work on his songs over and over again trying to get them right. Glenn would be listening from the upstairs apartment and came to admire Jackson for his diligence and his artistic craftmanship which he realized was necessary to write songs. Glenn learned that to write you just had to "roll up your sleeves" and "hunker down" and work at perfecting the song over and over again.

Glenn felt that at that time by himself he wasn't that great of a songwriter but that he found a great songwriting partner in Don Henley. Henley was an English literature student at North Texas State University who was smart, very literate, well read and educated, who understood lyrics, poetry, pentameter and elements of song writing. He said they were "scared great".

They started off playing with Linda Ronstadt, but shortly thereafter formed the Eagles.

More to follow -- have to go to work!
    Last edited by Henley Honey; 10-26-2011 at 05:19 PM.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Very good so far, HH! We'll be diligently waiting.........
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

What an excellent summary, HH. How inspiring. I am so glad that he mentioned the After Hours album again. I wonder which Neil Young songs in particular he's been 'spending time' with on reexamining that catalogue?

Re Willie's comment about how much IYWN means to Glenn's fans - it certainly means a great deal to me. What I would have given to hear him sing it, unamplified. That's another unique rendition of one of his songs that Soda can chalk up (so can the other attendees of course).

Stuck on the Border Henley Honey's Avatar

OK -- Next short piece . . . My notes were pretty good and I'm fairly confident about my quotes being accurate. My apologies if I'm not.

Glenn was asked about the Eagles being labeled a Country Rock Band -- how he felt about that and if he agreed was it intentional to be labeled that way.

He replied: "The Eagles loved bands like Poco, The Flying Burrito Brothers, Hearts & Flowers and The Dillards. My definition of country rock was always Chuck Berry with three-part harmony. Songs like Take It Easy and Already Gone are two pretty good examples of what we're talking about. I'm not much for labels, but we definitely were more of a country band in the beginning but as we started to make personnel changes we became a little more hard rock. By the time we finished Desperado we felt like songwriters. Thanks to the Beatles and people who wrote all kinds of different songs we just felt that we could write all kinds of songs. We were growing and I think each album we made was a growing process.
    Our albums reflected that process."

Desperado -- which he considers a better album than others and was a concept album -- "wasn't really a country rock opera -- it was an album with songs about people who lived outside the laws of normality".

Desperado came about because of a Time-Life book that Jackson Browne had called The Gunfighters. "We were sitting around late one night looking at pictures of the Doolin-Dalton Gang, Jesse James and Billy the Kid, so we starting thinking about that and started writing Doolin-Dalton. In the beginning it was gonna be an album about all folk heros. James Dean was originally gonna be on it, but as we moved forward we started to feel that Desperado was an umbrella for a whole concept album."

More later . . . .

I am just finding this thread!! How exciting, to get to see this lecture. I wish I knew about it. Love all the details of Glenn's speech. How many people were there? Did you have to be a student of NYU to attend?
    What a fantastic opportunity to hear Glenn. I'm so happy some of you got to attend this!! Sounds fantastic.....
    I wonder if Glenn is still in NYC??

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

The theatre holds about 300 and it was almost full. It was open to the public, but we heard some students say it wasn't advertised well within the school.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

HH, thanks so much for your summary!
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I'm loving the tidbits you guys seemed to have gotten. How cool is this after this many years to know we don't all know everything about them? I especially love this part so far. I know about the The Gunfighters book, etc. but I don't believe I knew that they had originally set out to make it an album about all folk heroes or that James Dean was suppose to be on this album. Very cool!!

Keep the review coming. Loving it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Henley Honey View Post

Desperado came about because of a Time-Life book that Jackson Browne had called The Gunfighters. "We were sitting around late one night looking at pictures of the Doolin-Dalton Gang, Jesse James and Billy the Kid, so we starting thinking about that and started writing Doolin-Dalton. In the beginning it was gonna be an album about all folk heros. James Dean was originally gonna be on it, but as we moved forward we started to feel that Desperado was an umbrella for a whole concept album."
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Yeah, it's nice to hear something new. What a great experience for all of you that went!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten