Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: Press and Discussion about Felder's New Album "Road to Forever"

Default Re: Press and Discussion about Felder's New Album "Road to Forever"

Just listening to this album for the first time and honestly I'm not overly impressed. I do like a few of the songs ( Fall from Grace and Over You) but the rest doesn't grab me. As dreamer mentions I also think Don F missed an oppurtunity here to showcase his immense guitar talent.

In terms of You Don't Have Me and Money both appear to be very bitter songs and I certainly feel are at least somewhat, directed at his "Eagles expierences" I hope that writing those songs will help him let that bitterness go..

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Not unless his ex-wife had a sex change operation. Check out the third verse!

Now, as far as the album, I can honestly say my impression is that’s it’s 'pretty good'. I certainly like it better than Airborne. However, overall, I don’t think it’s any better than average, so I don’t think I’m going to be buying it. I do really like Fall From Grace and Believe In You a lot. They are both very pretty and melodic. However, overall, I have the same complaint about this album that I have about a lot of albums, which is the lack of variety on it. I am very disappointed that Don didn’t showcase his strength more, which is playing a mean rock guitar. I guess I was just expecting a more uptempo, rockier sound overall. Instead we get mostly slow or mid-tempo songs where the vocals often get overpowered in the mix. Then, in the case of the few songs that do have a faster tempo, I don’t find them to be very melodic. Having said all this, I’m very glad that he did release the album and I wish him much success with it.
    Dreamer, I have to agree with you in that Don should be showing off his amazing guitar work here as that is his main strength. I'm not sure this was exactly what I was expecting, but some of the songs are pretty good, some I'm not loving that much. Have there been any reviews out on it yet???

feel so conflicted about this man, his music, his CD...I want to hear the CD...don't want to hear the CD.......wish my mind could decide but just can't seem to...

Quote Originally Posted by zeldabjr View Post
    feel so conflicted about this man, his music, his CD...I want to hear the CD...don't want to hear the CD.......wish my mind could decide but just can't seem to...
    I don't understand, why would you have conflicted feelings about Felder? Whatever happened was between them, not us...He's a huge talent and deserves credit for that. Why wouldn't you even want to hear the album?
    I don't really care what happened between them, it's over a long time ago. If anything in the song is about them, it is only Don expressing his feelings in a song, that's it.....I think the others could really care less about it.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    I don't understand, why would you have conflicted feelings about Felder? Whatever happened was between them, not us...He's a huge talent and deserves credit for that. Why wouldn't you even want to hear the album?
    I don't really care what happened between them, it's over a long time ago. If anything in the song is about them, it is only Don expressing his feelings in a song, that's it.....I think the others could really care less about it.
    Well, for what it's worth, I know what Zelda means. I feel the same way. I wish Felder well but my opinion of him took a very large downturn after the publication of the book. I decided to buy the album in an attempt at 'reconciliation' as a gesture as a fan. I've been very hard on him and I thought I should give it a chance. But from what people have said, some of the songs apparently contain more complaining & vitriol about the events of 12 years ago, and that is putting me off. Unlike you TK, I DO care about what happened. I DO care about the way Felder hammered Frey & Henley at every opportunity he got. I do care that it was so nasty on both sides & that the wounds at least on Felder's side have not healed. It may well be a long time ago, but Felder is the one who keeps bringing it up.

I would not presume in any way to know how the other members of the Eagles feel about this. I do not know them.

Yes, Felder is entitled to express his feelings in his songs, and as fans, we are entitled to express any uneasiness or conflict that we experience.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I would have to disagree with this too, Topkat. Music is a very personal thing and sometimes people have to feel a kind of connection with an artist to be able to enjoy their music. Different folks listen to different artists for different reasons. Speaking for myself, I want the artists that I listen to 'speak' to me. It can be a very intimate dynamic between an artist and their audience and I don't think it's at all unusual for people to want to be able to relate to an artist. I can totally understand what zelda is saying about being conflicted here.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    I'm sure the rest of the guys wish him well as do I...and yeah I'm sure the guys could care less about it at this point...and yeah it was between them...not us...but...I wish he had made a CD that has no baggage with it...and it doesn't sound like he did that...I would have been able to embrace it more I think...yeah he can express his negativity in a song, but I don't have to buy it!...I do believe he references the band in at least that one song and I won't pay good money to hear that...jmo

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

At some point soon, I am going to buy the thing. I was supposed to go out this weekend and get it along with a lot of other things. Like groceries. Maybe tomorrow.

I totally get what you're saying, FP. I think that with the exception of maybe a few songs, I'll like it. The songs I've heard so far are a style that I like. I've made no secret that the book irritated me to no end and for many reasons. He has brought up a few things, but it seems to me that lately, anyway, he's looking forward a lot more than he's looking back, which is the best thing for all concerned and especially him.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

I guess I'm kind of middle of the road. I listen to the music and see if I like it or not, regardless of the artist's personal life. I don't refuse to listen to an artist's music due to his personal sins unless it's extreme circumstances, like the guy worships Satan or molests children, that kind of thing.

Ironically, I think some on the board would find devil-worship to be a lesser sin than the writing of that book.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten