Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: How should the Eagles revamp the setlist for their 40th Anniversary?

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: How should the Eagles revamp the setlist for their 40th Anniversary?

Quote Originally Posted by timfan View Post
    The Joe Walsh issue is one I had thought of with the possiblilty of the 2013 tour being a History of the Eagles. Do others really think they could drop Life's Been Good? If it was to be a genuine History of the Eagles show you'd think they would but I don't see that being very easy to do as it is one of the highlights of the current show.
    Yes; they can drop Life's Been Good. It is time, as others have said, to make this show about the Eagles.

Default Re: How should the Eagles revamp the setlist for their 40th Anniversary?

Quote Originally Posted by GlennLover View Post
    I'm not a fan of the solo songs being included either., not even Glenn's. I want to hear Eagles' songs at an Eagles concert! I guess one each one for each member would be OK, but how would they fit into the history of the band? I guess if they played their songs sequentially as Glenn has suggested, the solo songs could be done duing their "14 year vacation, but not all the solo songs come from that period. I also concede that Joe's song's are always applauded by the critics as livening up the show. I still think he does too many. Surely they can come up with an exciting show using the history concept!
    I agree, there are too many solo songs in the show. They should add more songs from LROOE. Joe has too many solos, even though they liven up the show, the Eagles have enough material to do a mostly Eagles show with 1 or 2 solos in there. With them all having new solo albums out, they shouldn't be putting that into the show either. I can't see them putting in songs from Glenn's new cd or Joe's & Timothy's. That just wouldn't be a 40 year anniversary show. If anything, they should go back to some of the older songs they have dropped from the set list & add LROOE. The entire 40 year span of the Eagles! That's what I want to see!

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    I agree, there are too many solo songs in the show. They should add more songs from LROOE. Joe has too many solos, even though they liven up the show, the Eagles have enough material to do a mostly Eagles show with 1 or 2 solos in there. With them all having new solo albums out, they shouldn't be putting that into the show either. I can't see them putting in songs from Glenn's new cd or Joe's & Timothy's. That just wouldn't be a 40 year anniversary show. If anything, they should go back to some of the older songs they have dropped from the set list & add LROOE. The entire 40 year span of the Eagles! That's what I want to see!
    there's the rub TK...which 1 or 2 solos, and who decides?

Quote Originally Posted by zeldabjr View Post
    there's the rub TK...which 1 or 2 solos, and who decides?
    Well, we sure don't! I'll let them pick! LOL

Well, we sure don't! I'll let them pick! LOL
    it would be awfully difficult to do...we don't want any fighting...

From what I'm reading here it seems that, like myself, most of you would like the Anniversary set list to be made up mainly of Eagles songs. This does mean that Don & Glenn would have most lead vocals, due to them being the founder members.
    With Joe & Timothy being in the band for 3 and 2 studio albums respectively(out of the 7) obviously they have less lead vocals.

However, as I'm sure I've said before, with many of the Eagles songs the harmonies are ultra important, so it's not all about who sings lead vocal. The whole is greater than the sum of the individuals. That's what makes them the EAGLES.
    They each have a solo career but that is OUTSIDE of the Eagles. While I have no objection to them adding solo songs to the Eagles set as they have always done, I agree that recently they've been overdoing it!!

It's also about the musicianship - e.g. Don might sing lead on LITFL but is that more important that Joe's great guitar playing?
    The way I see it, each individual makes a valuable contribution to every song.

Please TBS don't think that none of us value Timothy because he only takes the lead vocal on a couple of songs. His alto harmonies are SO important, and he's a great bass player.

The majority of bands only have one lead singer. The Eagles are unusual in having 4 members who can all sing lead vocals.

The one thing I can say is that I DO NOT want to hear DESPERADO as the final encore song! That has been done to death already....
    Take It Easy should be the final song, as it was their very first hit!
    As for Sad Cafe, that is not an encore song in my book. I don't mind it in the show, but not the encore. Just MHO
    Funnily enough TopKat I struggled with where Sad Cafe should come in the set - I wanted it in, but wherever I put it, it didn't feel right.

Then I got to thinking about the lyrics, and this being a 40th Anniversary set.
    In a general sense the song is about having youthful hopes & dreams, growing up & realising that some of those dreams come true, some don't.
    So coupling it up with Peaceful Easy Feeling as the final encore then seemed right as a 'final comment' on their long career - The initial dreams, the good times & bad along the way, and the PEF they have now that overall it's turned out OK, it's been a good life.

I appreciate that this is my personal way of viewing it.

That's the great thing about lyrics(and also poetry), that each person interprets it in their own way, often regardless of what the writer had in mind.

'Things in this life change very slowly of they ever change at all. No use in asking why, it just turned out that way'.

Steph, I can see your reason for putting Sad Cafe at the end, but to me the encore has to be the REALLY BIG SONGS. Even Hotel California could be in the encore. Sad Cafe is a song some people don't even know, plus it's just kind of sad & a downer song.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StephUK View Post

Please TBS don't think that none of us value Timothy because he only takes the lead vocal on a couple of songs. His alto harmonies are SO important, and he's a great bass player.

The majority of bands only have one lead singer. The Eagles are unusual in having 4 members who can all sing lead vocals.
    Oh, I know that Steph and totally agree with it. I'm never talking about Eagles songs when referring to Timothy getting more of a chance to sing.I am fine with Timothy doing harmony on the Eagles music. It's the fact that they put so much solo stuff into the set and it's always only 2 of the members solo stuff. That's when I get really vocal about it.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Steph, I can see your reason for putting Sad Cafe at the end, but to me the encore has to be the REALLY BIG SONGS. Even Hotel California could be in the encore. Sad Cafe is a song some people don't even know, plus it's just kind of sad & a downer song.

Hotel California was in the encore on the F1 tour.

As I said I struggled with placing Sad Cafe within my set list - I'd be interest to know where Borderers think in might fit in.