Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: How should the Eagles revamp the setlist for their 40th Anniversary?

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Eagles revamp setlist for 40th Anniversary

Okay - After much thought, I've come up with my 40th anniversary tour dream setlist. It doesn't include everything I'd like to hear, but I figure a 5-hour show is out of the question, so I tried to keep this somewhat realistic. I did manage to get in most all of the hits by creating a few medleys. I also included some stuff they haven't done in a long time or never did, as well as, solo songs. I know some folks don't like the solo songs, but I do. I think they are the best way to feature Joe, and let's face it - Joe is a crowd pleaser and really helps the band kick butt near the end of the live performances. Of course, we are definitely back to a 3-hour show with my setlist cause there's just no way to cover all the required material in less time. So here we go ...

First Set

1. Seven Bridges Road
    2. Hotel California
    3. Peaceful Easy Feeling
    4. Witchy Woman
    5. I Can’t Tell You Why
    6. Lyin’ Eyes/New Kid In Town Medley
    7. One of These Nights
    8. Already Gone
    9. The Boys of Summer
    10. In the City
    11. Take It To the Limit (electric version)
    12. The Long Run

Intermission/Acoustic Set

13. I Dreamed There Was No War (prelude to acoustic set)
    14. Tequila Sunrise w/ alternate verse
    15. The Best of My Love
    16. Love Will Keep Us Alive
    17. Waiting In the Weeds

Second Set

18. How Long
    19. Wasted Time/Wasted Time Reprise/Victim of Love Medley
    20. After the Thrill Is Gone
    21. Walk Away
    22. You Belong To the City
    23. Parachute

Band Intros

24. Life’s Been Good
    25. Dirty Laundry
    26. Funk #49
    27. Heartache Tonight
    28. Life In the Fast Lane

First Encore

29. Doolin Dalton/Desperado Reprise
    30. Rocky Mountain Way

Second Encore

31. Take It Easy

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I like it Dreamer!

I was thinking about 40 songs for 40 years, but I suppose that would be too long for them to muster. They might be able to do that if they would leave out the solo songs. Now don't get me wrong, I love the solo songs, but if they are going to tour solo, we can hear them then. This is the Eagles 40th anniversary, not Don's, Glenn's, etc.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    I like it Dreamer!

I was thinking about 40 songs for 40 years, but I suppose that would be too long for them to muster. They might be able to do that if they would leave out the solo songs. Now don't get me wrong, I love the solo songs, but if they are going to tour solo, we can hear them then. This is the Eagles 40th anniversary, not Don's, Glenn's, etc.
    I agree to a certain degree, Brooke (regarding solo songs). I think one solo song per member would be fair... I would like to have seen them put a Timothy solo song in their setlist (namely Keep On Tryin', or Parachute). On the flip-side, however, I would rather see songs like Doolin Dalton/Desperado Reprise than solo material.

Dreamer, I love it. I really like the medley idea, and I agree to keep the solo songs to a minimum of maybe one per band member, but definitely get a Glenn and Tim solo song in there.
    ~ Tori
    https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/downloads/images/henley24.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Tori View Post
    Dreamer, I love it. I really like the medley idea, and I agree to keep the solo songs to a minimum of maybe one per band member, but definitely get a Glenn and Tim solo song in there.
    ..TOTALLY AGREE..

Stuck on the Border

Dreamer, I'm sorry,and it appears I am in a minority, but Lyin' Eyes & New Kid In Town are important songs (at least for me) and it would be wrong to make them into a medley, even though Lyin' Eyes was once part of a medley with Take It Easy, which I saw in 1988, and it was inadequate. I am resigned to the inevitable that NKIT will probably not be brought back, and I would rather that than it be truncated. I also don't know how a slow song like Wasted Time could be made into a medley with a rocker like Victim Of Love. Also how would the Reprise be played? On keyboards, by the backing musicians? I am sorry to disagree with you but I feel strongly about it.

This is supposed to be a 40th anniversary of the Eagles, and in my opinion the solo songs should be dropped entirely, so that the band can be showcased.

I am not going to propose a setlist, but it should include the title track of Long Road Out Of Eden.

I'm cool with one solo song per member and putting in Already Gone, OOTN, NKIT (if possible), VOL, etc instead. I have to hear LBG though as that's one of my requirements (the other being HC). Some of us can't see solo shows OR prefer the sound of the Eagles playing those songs instead with extra guitars and vocals.

If we did go with one solo song I'd personally want/need this:

Joe - Life's Been Good (not negotiable - it's better as an Eagles song)
    Don - Boys Of Summer
    Glenn - The Heat Is On
    Tim - Secular Praise
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post

If we did go with one solo song I'd personally want/need this:

Joe - Life's Been Good (not negotiable - it's better as an Eagles song)
    Don - Boys Of Summer
    Glenn - The Heat Is On
    Tim - Secular Praise
    Good choices Austin. LBG and Boys of Summer in particular sound great in Eagles concerts.

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesFanatic View Post
    Good choices Austin. LBG and Boys of Summer in particular sound great in Eagles concerts.
    Thank you! My thoughts exactly. In fact I much prefer them being played with the Eagles than any other way. Especially LBG with the twin solos and the backup vocals and Joe's antics.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

As I said in my earlier post, I really do understand that some folks aren’t fans of the solo material, but my question is this – If you take out the solo songs, what would you have Joe perform? He only has 4 Eagles songs, none of which were big hits. But even if he performed all 4 of those, what else would he do in the shows? Joe’s main role in the band is to “beef” up and energize the live shows. I would think that would be difficult to pull off without the inclusion of his solo work. Besides Joe has been performing his solo songs pretty much since he joined the Eagles, and many people consider them “adopted” Eagles songs. They are a part of Eagles history, so I would be shocked if they were eliminated at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I am resigned to the inevitable that NKIT will probably not be brought back, and I would rather that than it be truncated.
    Well, FP - all I can say is that something is usually always better than nothing as far as I'm concerned.

I also don't know how a slow song like Wasted Time could be made into a medley with a rocker like Victim Of Love.
    All I can say is that I just simply had to listen to the sequence of these songs on Hotel California album to come up with the idea. I'm confident that some of the talented arrangers in the band could think outside the box and come up with some great ways to make this work.

Also how would the Reprise be played? On keyboards, by the backing musicians?
    Why not stick with the way they did it on Farewell I - I think that worked out really well.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016