Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: How should the Eagles revamp the setlist for their 40th Anniversary?

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Eagles Mentions in the Press

Personally, as I've said many times before, IMHO, Lyin' Eyes, Tequila Sunrise, Already Gone, and New Kid In Town should all be in the setlist, or at least three out of four of them like they were for Farewell I. I definitely don't think they should ever drop Lyin' Eyes. Even though I personally get a little tired of it, most casual fans absolutely LOVE it.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

That's true. Lyin' Eyes is a huge crowd-pleaser. Still, folks love to rock out to Already Gone as well!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

The Eagles songs I wouldn't mind seeing dropped are The Long Run, In The City & Love Will Keep Us Alive (LWKUA isn't played so often these days when they don't do the acoustic set). Excuse the bias; these songs are my least favourite of the songs which the other three band members sing.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    The Eagles songs I wouldn't mind seeing dropped are The Long Run, In The City & Love Will Keep Us Alive (LWKUA isn't played so often these days when they don't do the acoustic set). Excuse the bias; these songs are my least favourite of the songs which the other three band members sing.

I agree with you, FP, especially about ITC. I have never been that keen on it.

I would be happy to swap out Long Run and In The City to get something new. Tim has so few leads that I wouldn't want to see him drop LWKUA unless he's bringing in Do Something in its place.
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

This is a great conversation about the setlist, but I'm going to move it so we can talk about it even more in our "On the Road with the Eagles" forum.

ETA: Done!

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    As EK mentioned, I'd hate to see Timothy lose one of his few leads, so I wouldn't want to get rid of LWKUA.

I'd also hate to lose "In the City" because currently it is the only Eagles song Joe sings lead on live now that they no longer do "Guilty of the Crime." I mean, come on, he should at least do ONE of his Eagles songs!

While I love "The Long Run" and it gets people on their feet, I wouldn't mind it being replaced with something they haven't done in a while. However, as I've said before, I think the first to be cut of the Don leads should his solo songs, "Dirty Laundry," "Boys of Summer," and "All She Wants to Do Is Dance." Yes, they're good songs and the Eagles have fun with them, but the Eagles have plenty of good songs that they can have fun with out of their own catalog, too. At the risk of repeating myself, if I want to hear Don's solo hits, I can go see Don's solo show.

Second, "Long Road Out of Eden" needs to go. It's so long that in its place could be two songs - two better songs. I like LROOE well enough, but there are many superior songs the Eagles could play instead. They could keep "How Long" to represent the new album, and it would also be cool for the 40th anniversary because it shows how they've tied together their past and present.

If they would like to include something off the new album that they've written themselves or something more recent, there are other songs from that album that are preferable to the title track. This is especially true if they plan on playing other festivals in addition to Jazz Fest. While I appreciate LROOE live in an indoor setting, it flops at festivals like Austin City Limits. It's so long and somber that it goes over like lead balloon in such settings.

Political songs are all well and good, but ten-minute opuses detailing the deterioration of the country can be a bit much live. After Joe's smokin' guitar solo ends and we get back to the "noises of the Arabian desert", a lot of people start wondering just how much longer this is going to go on. At the risk of offending those who adore the song, even a hardcore fan like me starts to weary of it at that point in a festival setting.

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Eagles revamp setlist for 40th Anniversary

You haven't offended me Soda, but the song totally rocks live and as I have said before, I deeply admire them for going so far out of their comfort zone and doing this 'controversial, political' song. I certainly didn't wonder how long it was going to last. For me it couldn't last long enough. I can't speak for everybody who has ever seen it but surely there must be more people than me who think it is great to watch live. In any case, they haven't even played it at these festivals, have they? At these shows they have dropped everything recent except for How Long. It is high time that they tried to redress the balance again because they went too far in returning to the 'tried & true' stuff.

Default Re: How should the Eagles revamp the setlist for their 40th Anniversary?

Of course you're not the only fan who enjoys it live, FP, although perhaps few would say "it couldn't last long enough." (I've always thought any song that goes over eight minutes risks becoming self-indulgent, but that's just me.)

Indeed, even I enjoyed it live the first few times I heard it in concert. It was only when the setlist was shortened that I started to become impatient with it and weary of it. It was taking up too much of the little time we had.

As for whether or not they played the song at festivals, they didn't do so for a while. Then, they brought it back in 2010 (as I said, I heard it at the Austin City Limits Festival) and continued to play it on the German/Slavic leg of the tour in 2011, although those sets were also abbreviated. When they came back to the United States, though, they didn't play it in Las Vegas.

Perhaps I'm being too hard on it. I'm just telling you what I've observed and how I feel.

For the LROOE tour, it was right and appropriate that they play tracks off of the then-new album, and I didn't mind it at all. In fact, I admired their courage when they put in so many new songs and I enjoyed hearing them live.

However, now it's time for the 40th Anniversary tour. There's no new album to promote. It's time to re-evaluate what should be included and what shouldn't. I vote for "shouldn't" in this case.

Stuck on the Border Henley Honey's Avatar

Default Re: How should the Eagles revamp the setlist for their 40th Anniversary?

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Indeed, even I enjoyed it live the first few times I heard it in concert. It was only when the setlist was shortened that I started to become impatient with it and weary of it. It was taking up too much of the little time we had.

For the LROOE tour, it was right and appropriate that they play tracks off of the then-new album, and I didn't mind it at all. In fact, I admired their courage when they put in so many new songs and I enjoyed hearing them live.

However, now it's time for the 40th Anniversary tour. There's no new album to promote. It's time to re-evaluate what should be included and what shouldn't. I vote for "shouldn't" in this case.

I couldn't agree more on all three points. I'd much rather have a 2 for 1 ratio in the shortened set list and as Joe said -- "everybody's seen our show". I'd love for them to make an old song new again by revamping and shaking up the set list.