Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: One Thing About Yourself

Default One Thing About Yourself

Just an idea for a thread, I looked back a few pages and didn't find anything.

What's one thing we don't know or may not know about you that you'd like to share?

---

Mine is that I dislike sports. I get SOOOOO many people asking me "do you play football" or telling me to play because of my height and build and I have to say to them "I don't care for sports". It's like watching grass grow for me. I'd be just as happy as going to the dentist. I admire that someone has something they passionately care about, and I love Super Bowl parties themselves and will hang out with any sports fan and shoot the breeze, but I just don't watch it. I just don't get it. My dad however is a huge sports fan and lots of them in the family but I don't like them. I do like that people are passionate about something, but sports ain't it for me. The closest I've came to liking a sport would be NASCAR, and that's pushing it. But sometimes it's fun to watch them. But again, I'm not into it.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Default Re: One Thing About Yourself

My husband is legally blind and doesn't drive. I drive everywhere and sometimes I resent it even though I knew it would be this way when we married. I hate myself for thinking that

Sorry to hear that. I'm blind in my left eye, so I cannot drive. It is extremely frustrating at times. But it's not worth taking that risk and just relying on one eye to see everything, especially when it's nearsighted too.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Oh I know, and most days I totally understand. Hubby was born with 20-200 in one eye and 20-100 in the other. With glasses it is 20-60 + and he has a wonderful job. He was born gifted with computer knowledge. It is just the little things like when he wants something from Walmart. He can't just run to the store, I have to go too. I get tired of it sometimes. Then I am ashamed that I get tired of it.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Honestly, Austin, I totally get what you're saying, but to someone like me, it's like we're from different planets. If everyone here doesn't know it already, I live and die for sports and specifically Black and Gold teams. I had a friend ask me the other day to try and explain why I go to so many Eagles concerts, if it was an obsession or something. I said it was nothing like my Steeler/Penguin/Pirate/Panther (PITT) obsession, and since he's the same way, he didn't really consider those to be obsessions!

Along those lines, one thing probably none of you know is that I used to play sports with nearly every free moment I had. Softball and volleyball. I played in leagues and before my knees forced me to quit, I played four nights a week and tournaments on weekends. I played co-ed and women's, six-man and doubles. I played county squads and USVBA level after high school, and was primarily a setter, although in women's I was of course a hitter when in the front row. When my knees kept getting worse and worse, I tried to slow down, not play as much, but I ended up playing more. So I had to quit 'cold turkey', about twelve years ago, after playing nearly non-stop for about 25 years. I still dream about it at night. I refuse to even touch a volleyball, let alone play even at picnics. When I went to an orthopedic surgeon back in 2001, I never told him I played sports, let alone what I played. He knew I was a volleyball player from the x-rays. I had my right knee operated on and still desperately need my left knee operated on, but I keep putting it off.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

I understand that. I love the passion for something, no matter what it is. For me, other than music, my passions are technology and photography.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

After almost eight years and over 23,000 posts, I feel like there's very little I haven't shared on here (that's fit to be viewed by the public)!

Hmm. Perhaps some of you might be surprised to know that as a adolescent, I was very shy. I wore thick glasses, had no idea how to care for my hair (my mom thought my hair should be brushed 100 times every night even though it was curly - love her, but BAD IDEA), and I was overweight. I was unpopular and an easy target for mockery by cruel kids who called me "Gonzo" because my glasses were so thick. I hated having to interact with other people; if there was some kind of church social or school event I was forced to participate in, I would find a corner and wait for it to end. I spent most of my time reading books and writing stories. The only place I felt good about myself was in class because I always got terrific grades and praised by my teachers, placed in the "gifted and talented" classes, etc. I had friends, but they were few and we were an insular group. Certainly I was not someone who made friends easily or that people gravitated towards. Quite the opposite.

Thankfully, a lot of my circumstances changed in high school and I changed a great deal, too. I became much more confident and outgoing. Humor was the key for me. If you can make people laugh, they accept you a lot more readily - especially if you're willing to be self-deprecating. On a more serious note, I also realized I had a lot to say... and I started to say it. I've never stopped talking since, lol. I don't think many people would use the words "shy", "quiet", and "reserved" to describe me now!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I'm still super shy - lol. You wouldn't guess that by how much I talk and post online - but yeah - in person I'm extremely quiet. Especially if I don't know you at all, or even haven't met you in person. I have severe social anxiety - I hate big crowds. However, I'm fine when there is a guitar around my neck. That is when insecurity goes away and confidence comes. I feel strong as they come and as proud as they come, but just standing around in a public place, I'm a hermit crab. I am very self-conscious - so much so that it really affects where I go, because unless I can play guitar (guitar store, a gig, a jam, whatever) - I don't go out other than Dr Appts and things I absolutely have to do. And even then, I find the quietest corner possible.

I met one of my guitar idols in Nashville, and my dad literally had to push me out of my chair and force me to go up and say hello to him, and ask for a picture. And I'm so glad he did because I'm glad I did, though I would have never had the courage to do that.

Alcohol helps, I did jello shots at the last gig at the end of the night and it became the Austin show, I was running the show at that point. So it can be helpful, as long as you don't drink too much and become too carefree, lol.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Stuck on the Border Witchy Woman's Avatar

I have OCD, and it gets in the way of things a lot. I HATE pens with blue ink, and I refuse to use them. Most of the time, I carry a pen with black ink, but sometimes I forget, or don't have my purse on me. I was filling out a typical first time at the doctor questionnaire and they handed me a blue pen. I didn't have a pen with me, and I refused to use the blue pen. They had to dig for a black ink pen. I won't touch anything that came from the house I lived in with my Mom, because I still don't know what killed her, and I'm afraid I'll get it too if I touch anything from the house, even though it's been over 20 years. I wear rubber gloves to take out the trash, because I don't want to touch the trash can, as it's been sitting outside. If I post anything on here and the time adds up to 13 I delete it and re-do it again.

I know I'm not the only one to have these issues, but sometimes it can make you feel awful lonely.

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I'm still super shy - lol. You wouldn't guess that by how much I talk and post online - but yeah - in person I'm extremely quiet. Especially if I don't know you at all, or even haven't met you in person. I have severe social anxiety - I hate big crowds. However, I'm fine when there is a guitar around my neck. That is when insecurity goes away and confidence comes. I feel strong as they come and as proud as they come, but just standing around in a public place, I'm a hermit crab. I am very self-conscious - so much so that it really affects where I go, because unless I can play guitar (guitar store, a gig, a jam, whatever) - I don't go out other than Dr Appts and things I absolutely have to do. And even then, I find the quietest corner possible.

Alcohol helps, I did jello shots at the last gig at the end of the night and it became the Austin show, I was running the show at that point. So it can be helpful, as long as you don't drink too much and become too carefree, lol.
    Austin, I know exactly how you feel. I have been painfully shy most of my life. I have been diagnosed withSocial Anxiety Disorder. In recent years I have come a long way but I am still terrified going into a new social situation by myself, especially if there are a lot of people there.

Be careful of the alcohol though!

Nancy, you're right. I never would have know that you were like that when you were a child. What a transformation!