Midnight Flyer
    Out Of Control
    Outlaw Man- Meisners Bass rocks
    Witchy Woman
    Chug All Night
    Rocky Mtn Way- Mr Joe Walsh
    Take The Devil

sorry only 8 for me.
    A very interesting list. With two exceptions Glenn plays lead in those songs. (I think of the Already Gone solo as a Glenn solo, because Don only adds sustained notes.)

If Outlaw Man is on that list only because of Randy's bass solo, then there's even more Glenn relatively speaking, because Bernie plays the guitar solo in that one.

Out on the Border

Default Re: your 10 most favorite Eagles guitar solos

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    A very interesting list. With two exceptions Glenn plays lead in those songs. (I think of the Already Gone solo as a Glenn solo, because Don only adds sustained notes.)

If Outlaw Man is on that list only because of Randy's bass solo, then there's even more Glenn relatively speaking, because Bernie plays the guitar solo in that one.
    AG has Felder pulling the heavy lifting, though Glenn is very good as well.

This version of OM is my favorite because Felder not only rocks the lead, but also Glenn is great on the keys, vocals and is passionately into it. Randy's bass solo is also very cool.

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMkg0tpEsDY[/ame]

Banned

I can't really articulate what rocks and what doesn't but Outlaw Man noticeably improved when Joe got involved.

Top Ten Solos (Just Studio);

1 - Long Road Out Of Eden

2 - I Can't Tell You Why

3 - Doolin Dalton / Desperado Reprise (even though it's only 2 lines)

4 - King Of Hollywood (Joe's that fades out too soon)

5 - Center Of The Universe

6 - Teenage Jail (Great Synth solo too)

7 - I Wish You Peace

8 - One Of These Nights

9 - Victim Of Love

10 - Try And Love Again

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    I can't really articulate what rocks and what doesn't but Outlaw Man noticeably improved when Joe got involved.

Top Ten Solos (Just Studio);

1 - Long Road Out Of Eden

2 - I Can't Tell You Why

3 - Doolin Dalton / Desperado Reprise (even though it's only 2 lines)

4 - King Of Hollywood (Joe's that fades out too soon)

5 - Center Of The Universe

6 - Teenage Jail (Great Synth solo too)

7 - I Wish You Peace

8 - One Of These Nights

9 - Victim Of Love

10 - Try And Love Again
    They've said that The Long Run was an album where their dark humor really came through - especially on Teenage Jail and Don's vocal in the choruses. I wouldn't be surprised if Glenn's synth solo in Teenage Jail was a joke and they were "LMAO'ing" in the studio. But it is a cool solo. Funny, but very dark.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Glad to see some appreciation for the solos in Teenage Jail! I seem to be one of the few people who likes this song, I have a somewhat twisted sense of humour so that aspect of TJ appeals to me. I love Felder's playing on the solo at the end of the song, it's over the top but in a good way, and I like the sound of Frey's synth solo. I also often snigger when I hear Henley's vocals on the 'you're lost in a teenage jail' part, as they're so deliberately 'nasty'.

Stuck on the Border

Both the synth and guitar solos are meant to be nasty, "fingernails on a chalkboard" (there's a radio interview from 1979 where Glenn talks about it).
    I enjoy the solo on "Tryin'". I'd struggle to come up with a top 10, but I like the guitars on the early records. Maybe it's because they're less polished.

Stuck on the Border

Don puts down his Teenage Jail solo in his book. But I think it's great. Always have.
    And, Johnny Come Lately, I LOVE Teenage Jail. A menacing riff. Even Glenn's voice sounds menacing when he sings in unison with the riff. I love Glenn's voice in the verses.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

I really like Glenn Frey's guitars on the early records, he has a good sound and the rock leanings in his playing provide a good contrast with the twang of Bernie's Telecasters. The solo in the middle of Tryin' reminds me quite a bit of some of Neil Young's guitar solos, like the one-note guitar solo he plays on Cinnamon Girl (which happens to be one of my favourites - it's not a technical masterpiece, but it sounds great). Having said that, although he played far fewer lead parts from OOTN onwards, the solos he did play on those albums were all memorable (he has the best solo parts on Too Many Hands, as well as doing Try And Love Again and of course I Can't Tell You Why).

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Come Lately View Post
    I really like Glenn Frey's guitars on the early records, he has a good sound and the rock leanings in his playing provide a good contrast with the twang of Bernie's Telecasters. The solo in the middle of Tryin' reminds me quite a bit of some of Neil Young's guitar solos, like the one-note guitar solo he plays on Cinnamon Girl (which happens to be one of my favourites - it's not a technical masterpiece, but it sounds great). Having said that, although he played far fewer lead parts from OOTN onwards, the solos he did play on those albums were all memorable (he has the best solo parts on Too Many Hands, as well as doing Try And Love Again and of course I Can't Tell You Why).
    I'm glad someone else mentions this. Glenn kills with his guitar in Too Many Hands. Some of his licks are even bizarre, but they rock. He was in top form there. It's weird to hear Glenn Frey outdoing Don Felder on guitar. Of course there's the small possibility that I've always been mistaken - that who I think is Glenn is in fact Don. But I think I recognize enough "Glennisms" there to know which one is him.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Both the synth and guitar solos are meant to be nasty, "fingernails on a chalkboard" (there's a radio interview from 1979 where Glenn talks about it).
    I enjoy the solo on "Tryin'". I'd struggle to come up with a top 10, but I like the guitars on the early records. Maybe it's because they're less polished.
    I have heard an interview from 1979 or 1980 where Glenn says he recorded the synthesizer solo on TJ as a joke. He expected that when he played it for the others that they would say that it was awful & out of tune. To his surprise they said it was great & wanted it put in the song.